Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 02:34 PM

Default Re: When to (not) continuation bet?

[ QUOTE ]
When transitioning to PLO you read all the beginner stuff that teaches you that unless you have the nuts or are drawing to the nuts you shouldn't be in the hand. Unfortunately this results in you becoming either a) a nut peddler or b) playing scared.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the beginner Omaha stuff is highly dated. They are probably refering to limit, 8OB or full table, not SH PLO.

Limit Hi is looser, and I don't even want to think about limit 8OB. Even 9 handed, you need to tighten up, especially if there are PF LAGs who raise alot. Think about it, there are 36 cards delt to players and 39 out on the flop. That leaves only 13 unsean cards. With three streets and multiple opponents, the pots have a tendency to blow up alot. Since the Average Pot to BB ration is so high, it often requires tight starting hands and tight play on the flop, or you are looking at -EV and/or wild varence swings.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:47 PM

Whenever you read beginner material for a form of poker, the advice is often weak-tight to start because beginners first need to learn pre-flop hand selection. Once players learn how to choose hands and understand the flop, playing without the nuts is a much more viable strategy.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:37 PM

interesting posts people;

For me it depends;

When i'm running bad i c-bet very little without a hand im willing to commit to (with me thats not just nut flush/str wraps and sets!)

Variance is the issue; i've taken to playing passively when ive only got 100 BB in front of me... i'm experimenting with this at the moment and so far its good; in that i mean i'm happy to grind it out slowly to build to 125BB or more before i start playing poker.

So back to the c-bets; If i've raised and ive got a piece against one opponent; i have a quick look at their HUD Stat for calling c-bets (and check raising); and then c-bet regardless! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Against two i really do look at the stats; if they both 33% or less you're on a winning bet

agaisnt 3 or more i'm checking 100% without sets or a huge draw and top two DEPENDING ON THE BOARD...

I have to disagree with the sentiment of checking behind with the nuts flush or an up and down draw.... certainly you should 'some' of the time to mess with your opponents; and the stack sizes matter also; but deep stacked you HAVE to c-bet most of the time in these spots; firstly it keeps you in control of the pot; i.e. you can check the turn for your free card... secondly if you do hit you cannot expect to win a huge pot deep stacked if you don't build said pot... and thirdly its the old adage of two chance to win the pot...this isn't as important as the other two factors imho.

Shortstacked of course you should look to get your stack all-in in one or two lumps so your either c-betting or trying for a checkraise.

On 6max you HAVE to be c-bet frequently; weakness is a killer in these games so don't raise if you don't want to c-bet

To summarise; If you want to play a LAGgy high variance game then c-bet often (and fire a second bullet now and then). If you want a tight low variance game i suggest c-bet 1/3rd against 1 or 2 players.

Forget the texture of the board; remember if your not c-betting much, your opponents give you more credit when you do. The rest is up to you
Old 10-23-2007, 04:03 PM

i'm more likely to c-bet if i have a pair with outs to two pair/trips than if i missed completely.