FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 9. FR SB w/ AKo
Raise 26 63.41%
Call 12 29.27%
Fold 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2007, 12:04 PM

Default Re: A-Rod opts out of contract

If you want to compare fan-[censored], please start a new thread. No one here cares.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My point is that it takes a team of 25 guys working together for a common purpose to win the World Series, and not 25 players who put themselves in front of the team.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you mean like Jeter not moving off of SS when a more capable SS comes to the team?

I don't understand how arod hitting tons of HR and having an incredible OBP is putting himself about the team. Hitting homeruns and not making outs is the best way to help a team win.

Being a horrible defensive shortstop not moving to 3B, while a better defensive SS has to move to 3B. That on the other hand costs a team wins and puts one self in before the interests of the team.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to compare fan-[censored], please start a new thread. No one here cares.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell that to Franchise60, he's the insecure child turning an A-Rod thread into a "lets rag on Mondo" thread. I'm happy to discuss A-Rod.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A-Rod is simply a great player, possibly the greatest of all time, but not much else.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can we get ESPN to put this on their front page as their comment of the day?
Old 10-29-2007, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell that to Franchise60, he's the insecure child turning an A-Rod thread into a "lets rag on Mondo" thread. I'm happy to discuss A-Rod.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your view on Arod is also a waste of time.

[ QUOTE ]
A-Rod is simply a great player, possibly the greatest of all time, but not much else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just be quiet. That would be best.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ernie Banks wasn't as self-centered as A-Rod. He also didn't take up 20-35% of a team's payroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you live in never never land or something? Ernie banks is gonna turn down making as much money as he could? Riiight. I love these people that act like the great players of the past didn't care about money like the players of today. The only difference is the players today can get the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not what I said one bit. If you want to try to put words in my mouth, that's your ignorance, not mine. Ballplayers in Ernie Banks' time were vastly underpaid compared to what the teams were making.

However, Ernie Banks was a team player and wouldn't pout when moved around in the order, wouldn't pout when changing positions, and wouldn't pout when the spotlight wasn't on him. Ernie Banks was a positive influence on his team, not just a great player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, Banks was all those things and thats why he never won a World Series. Right? Isnt that the way this works? We assign a bunch of personality traits to someone and then claim that THAT is why they never won the World Series? We just ignore all of the outside factors that determine the WS champ and blame it on personality traits of the best player on the team, right? So I have no idea why you'd want ANYONE to be like Ernie Banks. He proved you cant win that way, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Banks didn't win the World Series, because he played on a lot of crappy Cubs teams.

My point is that it takes a team of 25 guys working together for a common purpose to win the World Series, and not 25 players who put themselves in front of the team. That doesn't mean you don't try to get paid -- that does mean you don't be so self-centered that you try to upstage everyone else when the focus isn't 100% on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure thats what it takes? Ernie Banks would disagree, they had that and they didn't win. Are you seriously making the argument that no selfish player has ever won the World Series? You understand that if I can find a SINGLE example of a selfish guy winning the WS your entire point is useless, right?

So since we have some selfish guys winning the WS, and some unselfish guys NEVER winning the WS, wouldn't it seem like a smart person would say something like "It requires a mixture of talent, luck and team chemistry, in unknown proportions, to win the World Series"? Rather than something demonstrably false like "It takes 25 guys working together to win the World Series." And if you had just said the FIRST thing, the smart thing, the correct thing, you'd have realized that maximizing any of those three qualities, talent, luck or chemistry, increase the chances of winning the WS. So its a balancing act. If talent comes at the cost of chemistry, you have to weigh that. If chemistry comes at the cost of talent (like Jeter playing SS and not 3B) you have to weigh that.

But yeah I suppose it is simpler for the one-subject mind to just believe that "ZOMG CHEMISTRY WINS LDO WHO CARES ABOUT TALENT"
Old 10-29-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

My point is that it takes a team of 25 guys working together for a common purpose to win the World Series, and not 25 players who put themselves in front of the team.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you mean like Jeter not moving off of SS when a more capable SS comes to the team?

I don't understand how arod hitting tons of HR and having an incredible OBP is putting himself about the team. Hitting homeruns and not making outs is the best way to help a team win.

Being a horrible defensive shortstop not moving to 3B, while a better defensive SS has to move to 3B. That on the other hand costs a team wins and puts one self in before the interests of the team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. A-Rod is hardly the only reason the Yankees haven't won a World Series in seven years. But those who would fellate Hank Steinbrenner and pay for the privilege can defend Derek Jeter...it's not my prerogative to do so.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ernie Banks wasn't as self-centered as A-Rod. He also didn't take up 20-35% of a team's payroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you live in never never land or something? Ernie banks is gonna turn down making as much money as he could? Riiight. I love these people that act like the great players of the past didn't care about money like the players of today. The only difference is the players today can get the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not what I said one bit. If you want to try to put words in my mouth, that's your ignorance, not mine. Ballplayers in Ernie Banks' time were vastly underpaid compared to what the teams were making.

However, Ernie Banks was a team player and wouldn't pout when moved around in the order, wouldn't pout when changing positions, and wouldn't pout when the spotlight wasn't on him. Ernie Banks was a positive influence on his team, not just a great player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, Banks was all those things and thats why he never won a World Series. Right? Isnt that the way this works? We assign a bunch of personality traits to someone and then claim that THAT is why they never won the World Series? We just ignore all of the outside factors that determine the WS champ and blame it on personality traits of the best player on the team, right? So I have no idea why you'd want ANYONE to be like Ernie Banks. He proved you cant win that way, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Banks didn't win the World Series, because he played on a lot of crappy Cubs teams.

My point is that it takes a team of 25 guys working together for a common purpose to win the World Series, and not 25 players who put themselves in front of the team. That doesn't mean you don't try to get paid -- that does mean you don't be so self-centered that you try to upstage everyone else when the focus isn't 100% on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure thats what it takes? Ernie Banks would disagree, they had that and they didn't win. Are you seriously making the argument that no selfish player has ever won the World Series? You understand that if I can find a SINGLE example of a selfish guy winning the WS your entire point is useless, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that's clearly not what I'm saying. All I'm saying is that no matter what A-Rod contributes to a team in offensive productivity, his contributions haven't exactly led any team to the promised land, and you have to question whether it's worth it to anyone to devote that much of your payroll to a self-centered player who appears to be far more concerned with making sure he's in the headlines than in actually winning a championship.

Obviously, selfish players have been on championship teams. But clearly, a team doesn't need A-Rod to win a championship. Every World Series champion since A-Rod came into the majors has managed to do so without having A-Rod on their team.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I figure in the next five years, 30% of those who claim to be Yankees fans will be claiming to be lifetime Red Sox fans, and their leader will be Rudy Giuliani.

[/ QUOTE ]

im obv not a yankee fan, but this statement about gulianni is retarted. Guliani is a yankee fan, hes not switching. he basically said, the yankees are out of it, im an american league fan, so im rooting for the sox

nothing wrong with that, and it was blown out of proportion by the media.

/irrelevant rant
Old 10-29-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[censored] A-Rod he never changed positions when the team asked him to.

Mondo
[ QUOTE ]

However, since you can't even be bothered to comprehend what I actually say, clearly, you can't be counted on to comprehend what those words actually mean. But go one with your bad self and stay snarky, dude.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't believe you are attempting to argue that being the greatest player of all time isn't just okay.

Edit: Aren't everyone on the Rockies selfish? Matt Holliday was the NL MVP and couldn't even lead his team to the WS what a POS. He intentionally threw the WS so he could leverage himself into a bigger contract so he can bathe in gold a la Scrooge McDuck