Raise 26 63.41%
Call 12 29.27%
Fold 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2007, 11:50 AM

Default Re: A-Rod opts out of contract

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ernie Banks wasn't as self-centered as A-Rod. He also didn't take up 20-35% of a team's payroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you live in never never land or something? Ernie banks is gonna turn down making as much money as he could? Riiight. I love these people that act like the great players of the past didn't care about money like the players of today. The only difference is the players today can get the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not what I said one bit. If you want to try to put words in my mouth, that's your ignorance, not mine. Ballplayers in Ernie Banks' time were vastly underpaid compared to what the teams were making.

However, Ernie Banks was a team player and wouldn't pout when moved around in the order, wouldn't pout when changing positions, and wouldn't pout when the spotlight wasn't on him. Ernie Banks was a positive influence on his team, not just a great player.

A-Rod is simply a great player, possibly the greatest of all time, but not much else.

However, since you can't even be bothered to comprehend what I actually say, clearly, you can't be counted on to comprehend what those words actually mean. But go one with your bad self and stay snarky, dude.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What has A-Rod actually done besides pile up individual stats and piles of money?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um I dunno, be on pace for the greatest statistical career in a sport where statistics are considered very good representation of a players worth.

So besides becoming the greatest baseball player of all time, I guess nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

The greatest baseball player of all time, but one for whom nothing other than individual accomplishment and wealth mean anything. He doesn't truly care whether or not he wins a title, because team accomplishments don't seem to really mean much to him.

Really, what's the difference between having $500m and $300m? What's the difference between ending up with 925 or 875 home runs? No one will really care, because the numbers as astronomical either way.

But the difference between winning a World Series and not ever winning one? That's what folks on the street will care about and remember more.

[/ QUOTE ]

yankee fans make me lol

when arod was carrying the team on his back in april, and he had all those big hits, you didnt think he cared? his emotion when he got all those big hits was fake?

he is probably leaving cause yankee fans are douches

[/ QUOTE ]

When someone is talking about [censored] about A-Rod, and they have a Rockies avatar, its safe to assume they aren't Yankees fans.

I'm a Yankees fan and defending A-Rod, so I don't know what you are lol'n out.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A-Rod is simply a great player, possibly the greatest of all time, but not much else.

[/ QUOTE ]

/argument.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is beyond awesome.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ernie Banks wasn't as self-centered as A-Rod. He also didn't take up 20-35% of a team's payroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you live in never never land or something? Ernie banks is gonna turn down making as much money as he could? Riiight. I love these people that act like the great players of the past didn't care about money like the players of today. The only difference is the players today can get the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not what I said one bit. If you want to try to put words in my mouth, that's your ignorance, not mine. Ballplayers in Ernie Banks' time were vastly underpaid compared to what the teams were making.

However, Ernie Banks was a team player and wouldn't pout when moved around in the order, wouldn't pout when changing positions, and wouldn't pout when the spotlight wasn't on him. Ernie Banks was a positive influence on his team, not just a great player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, Banks was all those things and thats why he never won a World Series. Right? Isnt that the way this works? We assign a bunch of personality traits to someone and then claim that THAT is why they never won the World Series? We just ignore all of the outside factors that determine the WS champ and blame it on personality traits of the best player on the team, right? So I have no idea why you'd want ANYONE to be like Ernie Banks. He proved you cant win that way, right?
Old 10-29-2007, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[he is probably leaving cause yankee fans are douches

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yeah, a lot of Yankee fans are douches. I mean, look at Franchise60.

I figure in the next five years, 30% of those who claim to be Yankees fans will be claiming to be lifetime Red Sox fans, and their leader will be Rudy Giuliani.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[he is probably leaving cause yankee fans are douches

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yeah, a lot of Yankee fans are douches. I mean, look at Franchise60.

I figure in the next five years, 30% of those who claim to be Yankees fans will be claiming to be lifetime Red Sox fans, and their leader will be Rudy Giuliani.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh a Rockies fan killing Yankees fans allegiances. My oh my. You sir are mr. credibility.

And one more time your quote of the day for everyones enjoyment.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-29-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, Banks was all those things and thats why he never won a World Series. Right? Isnt that the way this works? We assign a bunch of personality traits to someone and then claim that THAT is why they never won the World Series? We just ignore all of the outside factors that determine the WS champ and blame it on personality traits of the best player on the team, right? So I have no idea why you'd want ANYONE to be like Ernie Banks. He proved you cant win that way, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Banks didn't win the World Series, because he played on a lot of crappy Cubs teams.

My point is that it takes a team of 25 guys working together for a common purpose to win the World Series, and not 25 players who put themselves in front of the team. That doesn't mean you don't try to get paid -- that does mean you don't be so self-centered that you try to upstage everyone else when the focus isn't 100% on you.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-29-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ahh a Rockies fan killing Yankees fans allegiances. My oh my. You sir are mr. credibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your ignorance truly knows no bounds. That's an endearing trait, I'm sure.

I've been going to Rockies games since 1993. Hell, I've still got boxscores at home from following the 1992 Bend Rockies. I've supported my team through playoff years and 95 loss seasons.

Whatever questions you have about your own allegiances and insecurities, save 'em for your former savior A-Rod. I'm perfectly comfortable in my fandom.

You're not even old enough to experience, or barely even know, the Yankees going 13 years between World Series titles, and then 18 more. You don't even know what being a fan of a franchise is really even like, since you've only ever had to root for them from the pole position, for the most part. So save it for someone who actually cares, because the one who lacks "credibility" on supporting a team edqually through good times and bad is yourself, kid, not me.