Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Re: October [censored] thread

S&P GRA CREX Index
Old 10-17-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Krishan,

Are you talking about investing in particular REIT?

Or home builder?

IMO ...some of the home building stocks are getting,quite attractive at these levels....and the more NEGATIVE press/stats......makes them even MORE attractive!

SF

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a retailer of home furnishings. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] So it's gotten killed along with the real estate downturn. But at some point the price has to be right as it has minimal leverage and is trading at .7 * book. My assignment is to figure out the potential values of the real estate (tough to do).

Krishan
Old 10-17-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Krishan,

Are you talking about investing in particular REIT?

Or home builder?

IMO ...some of the home building stocks are getting,quite attractive at these levels....and the more NEGATIVE press/stats......makes them even MORE attractive!

SF

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a retailer of home furnishings. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] So it's gotten killed along with the real estate downturn. But at some point the price has to be right as it has minimal leverage and is trading at .7 * book. My assignment is to figure out the potential values of the real estate (tough to do).

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats the symbol...i will look into it,and give you MHO

SF
Old 10-18-2007, 02:18 PM

Quick concept check..

Im running a regression of individual returns vs SP500 returns. SP returns are not adjusted for dividends so to get the actual returns each period ill need to add them in. So the info I was told to use was a 2.01% div yield for each year in the period. I then figured out the monthly div yield (2.01% ^ 1/12) and added that to the capital gains of the SP500 every month to get my total SP500 return.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:19 PM

It probably wouldn't be very hard to get actual div yields for the various years, rather than using 2.01% throughout.

You should be dividing by 12 to get a monthly yield, not raising to 1/12.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:45 PM

Hi. I work for an investment management firm in Boston, MA. We're hiring now. We're looking for very smart people, a year or two out of college, not necessarily with a lot of finance experience. If you might be interested, PM me for more info. Here's the description:

Research Associate

<XXXX> provides global and international investment strategies to institutional investors. <XXXX>’s investment process is quantitative, exploiting behavioral and informational pricing anomalies as they propagate within the networks of related companies. We are currently looking for a Research Associate to join our research team and to help us further develop our investment process.

An ideal candidate has an undergraduate degree from a top educational institution in a field that requires problem solving skills, such as applied mathematics, economics, engineering, or computer science. We pay a lot of attention to your grades, your undergraduate thesis and/or other research projects, and recommendations by your professors. Experience with and interest in financial markets is a plus.

We offer interesting projects, a competitive compensation, intense and long (but not sweatshop) hours, colleagues with a sense of humor, and a growing firm with many further opportunities.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:04 PM

i wanna get involved in investing. i dont really have an much of an idea about which route to go.

What sorta line is best?
college or uni?
and how long are most courses.
can i pick up any good books, and im not really intrested in working for anyone, would be my money id use.
obv talking over a few years or whatever.
any advice appreciated.
and im 18 fwiw
looking to invest in anything really, ideas about whats best etc
Old 10-19-2007, 02:29 AM

Internet (Search) Wars:

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/10/18...-search-sites/
Old 10-19-2007, 05:19 AM

ahnuld,

when you go pro what kind of hours do you plan on putting in? do you have some extra motivation since you were considering doing IB and probably working 80 hrs/week?
Old 10-19-2007, 08:54 AM

I figure ill probably put in about 3-4 poker hours a day and 3-4 hours a day either reading or doing investment research. I play 8-10 tables so ill get in at least 2000 hands a day and hopefully 50k hands a month. That should be about $40k a month from poker.
Closed Thread