Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 05:25 PM

Default What\'s your scene like?

I'm just curious about what other people's home game setup is like. Living room? Dining room? Game room? Basement? Other?

Personally, my game is setup either outside on the deck, or in the garage (if it rains). There are TVs viewable in both locations, plus radio/iPod tunes. I like to have some background noise during the game. The game is out of the house for several reasons:

1) Noise - on poker night the kids and wife can go to sleep even if all hell is breaking loose in the game, plus the guys know to just in/out the side gate so there's no traffic in the house

2) Smoke - I don't mind players smoking (just don't burn the felt!). I usually wait until I win or lose a big pot before firing up a cigar.

3) Cleanup - I can have my giant neighborhood trash and recycle bins right there for people to throw away bottles/cans etc.

Post a pic of your scene if you have one....(I'll try to dig one up and post too).
Old 09-23-2007, 05:33 PM

Default Re: What\'s your scene like?

We have our games in a seperate room just for poker. It's a really basic set up, here's a pic:

The table is decent, gets the job done, it folds in the middle, but whatever. The chips are really great, we love them. Custom made from onlinepokerchips.com or something like that. Chairs are from our dining room set, so they're decent as well. We're working on decorating still :P
Old 09-23-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2) Smoke - I don't mind players smoking (just don't burn the felt!). I usually wait until I win or lose a big pot before firing up a cigar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why wait?
Old 09-23-2007, 06:57 PM

Taso - Nice. I _will_ have a dedicated room for poker someday (current house not big enough).

hime - Good point. I guess I'm in to delayed gratification.

OK, hopefully I figured out how to post a pic....
Old 09-23-2007, 07:16 PM

wow man. Nice table, nice looking deck, nice yard, and nice fence [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Seems like a really nice place you got there.

As for the Cigars, I like the idea of having a cigar as a celebration. When we do big tournaments back at my place in NY, I usually buy a cigar that day, just incase I win.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow man. Nice table, nice looking deck, nice yard, and nice fence [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Seems like a really nice place you got there.

As for the Cigars, I like the idea of having a cigar as a celebration. When we do big tournaments back at my place in NY, I usually buy a cigar that day, just incase I win.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thx. Its nice as long as the weather holds up (suburb north of Dallas). We've been rained on once...fire drill to collect chips and move to the garage was fun.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:25 PM

I know, my table is a poser table, but when I boought it I was new in town and wasn't sure if I could get a game going, so I bought the combo pool table/poker table so I could play pool on a miniature scale if I couldn't get a poker game going.

But hey... the chairs are awesome! Special thanks to Bertolini Sanctuatry Seating for making these great stackers for my rather small "congregation" (more of a prayer group actually).

Well thanks to Meetup.com, I have had 1-2 games per week for nearly two years now, and am kicking myself for not buying a normal poker table in the first place.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:24 PM

Damn, dude, I don't think I can beat your setup. That's nice. Mine's more the down 'n dirty sort of thing.

I rent in a house with a detached garage. When I moved in, it was full of junk. The previous owners had converted it to a studio/shop, so there were some partitions and a bathroom. I cleared out all the crap, removed the fluorescents, installed nicer overhead lights, put in some furniture, sound system, 6' movie screen, etc. I haven't done all that I've wanted to because the owners have plans to convert this place into an apartment, and I'm suffering from the limbo of "oh, we're going to start that next month, promise" ... for a year and a half now. Adjacent to the garage is a back patio area where we set up food. I have trash and recycling bins everywhere.

It looks rather low-rent (because it is), but it has a great atmosphere. No TV during games, as it's too distracting and not good for generating friendships. But plenty of good music, nice cards, different chips for cash (weekly) and tourney (monthly), and, most importantly, great people. These shots are from a tournament day; usually there are couches and chairs and the like, with only one of the tables (covered) set up permanently. Cash games we usually have 16-20 people, tournaments usually 20-30. I've customized the display of my TD software and created graphics for my evites to match. I keep people updated weekly and write silly little post-tourney trip reports.

As discussed in another thread, I'm tired of not being able to take this place and upgrade it how I want, so I'm investigating expanding the game a bit and having it fund itself more reliably than basing it on my winnings.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:39 PM

Zone has a really nice setup.

Would be appreciated if you all would give me input on dealing here. http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=0#Post12208804
Old 09-24-2007, 12:36 AM

Zoneblitz, do you use your deck chairs when you play? It seems to me that the bases and/or the chairs themselves take up too much room.

TrvChBoy's chairs are nice, tho.