Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 02:48 AM

Default [NL50 SH] Flopped a FH... check or bet?

Not many reads about my opponent, more tight than loose.

BB ($46.55)
UTG ($46.80)
MP ($56.85)
Button ($60.85)
Hero ($89.85)

Preflop: Hero is SB with , .
3 folds, Hero raises to $1.75, BB calls $1.

Flop: ($3.25) , , (2 players)
Hero checks...

I have posted this hand, the complete one, in another forum. We've discussed Turn and River play and I see my failurs there. But now we are still discussing the flop.

Some say:
It's too obvious if you check the flop, because normally you do a CB.

Well, that's true. About 90%+ I do a CB, but as I don't have any reads on the BB, the BB won't have any reads on me either.
Additional to that, we are playing NL50 here. So most of the guys don't care what I do anyway. They play their cards.

Now am I wrong with that? I think a CB will scare my opponent aways here...
Old 09-06-2007, 04:58 AM

Default Re: [NL50 SH] Flopped a FH... check or bet?

Bet the flop for value. Do not slowplay at small stakes because people have wider calling ranges than betting range. Post reads.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:14 AM

Is this just me? I'm not looking to get an extra $2 out of a single opponents when I think I'll lose value long term by not building a pot worth stacking off over with a monster hand. You just need one opponent in ten to stack off on this kind of board to make building a big pot worthwile.

I'd c-bet this flop 100% of the time. If you scare away the overcards it's not that big of a deal since they probably won't pay you off big time even when they hit and there are a lot of action killers that might come (any spade, any 6, any 9) that might slow down an overpair.
If he has a flushdraw or open ender, he'll call your c-bet 100% of the time and often stack off when he hits.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:43 AM

Black Entertainment Television.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:10 PM

I don't think there's anything wrong with checking the flop. Some guys never slow play, and that's fine, but I think it's a viable play in certain situations.

A case can be made for betting since there are some draws. Also, an aggressive player may try to bluff on this flop. Or he may find your check strange.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:16 PM

dude you raised PF even if they hardly think they'll never peg you for the nuts here. BET BET BET
Old 09-06-2007, 04:15 PM

I think 2p2ers bet this - everyone else in the universe checks it. Posting this because villain folded at your first sign of aggression is results oriented thinking.

You're only stacking another 8, an overpair, or a flush draw. The other 8 has 3 outs, the overpair has 2, and the flush has none. The free card almost never hurts you and can get passive flush draw holders to stack off - the other two hands are pretty much stacking off no matter what you do on the flop.

You might structure a bet so the flush draw is getting odds, but I suppose to 2p2ers that will "look obvious" and you should stick to 2/3s pot. I think the money is going in (or not) based on more than just the flop check, is all I'm saying.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:24 PM

Agree- [ QUOTE ]
dude you raised PF even if they hardly think they'll never peg you for the nuts here. BET BET BET

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd throw out a small cbet (1/2pot) to see if he bites. You were the aggressor so he can't put you on the house- maybe trips but probably overcards. Maybe he called PFR with a mid pocket pair (99,1010,JJ) and thinks he's good. If you know he's tight and passive, I'd sit on it till the turn, but with no good reads, lets get the pot growing.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:26 PM

I throw out a $2 value bet. As Jam said, people have a looser calling range then betting range
Old 09-06-2007, 04:30 PM

that's a good board for getting some action. there's straight draws, a flush draw, little pairs might look you up. most hands that can make something big on the turn are pretty likely to call a bet on the flop anyway. the turn is more likely to kill your action than help it.