Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 02:05 PM

Default Re: What\'s your scene like?

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should use standard colors when using chips, so yes a red will count for 5 in a cash, or tourney setting. Keeping consistent helps the players know how much each chip is worth imho.

[/ QUOTE ]

A-hahahahahahahaha! Standard colors? In the Bay Area? Let me go over the various dollar chips I know about from different rooms... lessee, light blue, green, purple... oh yeah, I think Lucky Chances might use white.

I did agonize long and hard about using standard colors, but I didn't like the "balance" of colors as it looked on the table while using chips below $1. It's a minor subtle thing, but it makes a difference. You want the chips to be nice to look at all piled up on the table. Compared to the saturation of the reds, blues, and greens, the whites seemed too "off" and weak-looking for the primary chip in play. I also like $20 chips, as I prefer my chips to relate to real world denomination values. Nobody carries $25 bills around.

Okay, so once my 'standard' color thing didn't look right, I tried to have one set of colors for cash (quarters, dollars, fives mostly) and tournament (twenties, hunnies, etc) with overlap on the same denominations. Again, couldn't get both to have combinations that worked without using the same color in drastically different spots. Because in tournies, there's also the consideration of how the colors look as chips get colored up and new colors are brought into play.

So even though the values are off by two orders of magnitude, I decided to use the first three chips as the same colors in both tourneys and cash, to eliminate any sort of confusion. In cash, that's $.25 yellow, $1 purple, $5 green. In tournament, that's T20 yellow, T100 purple, T500 green. There's been surprisingly little confusion regarding the 1/4 and 1/5 switch you get with yellows between the games.

Yeah, so, in the end I decided that since no rooms around here use anything close to standard, I went with chips that I like to look at when they're all piled and stacked up together. It's a subtle thing, but every now and again someone will comment on just how well the chips work together, and I know it was worth it. Colors affect people, and my cash game colors seem to affect them in good happy ways.

I told you not to talk to me about chips, gol-dangit. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] But this is the sort of thinking that goes into all my decisions here. PLEASE don't get me started on my blind schedule...
Old 09-24-2007, 02:08 PM

pfap - nice setup, again I hope to get a dedicated poker room eventually. I've been collecting sports memoribilia (my wife calls it junk) for my sports-bar-pool-poker-room I WILL have someday (oh yes, I will have it).

JJT - chairs not too big, I use 4 padded chairs from the patio set, then a set of metal/fabric stacking chairs for everything else (I get a padded chair).

I'm hoping I'll have a few more weeks outside...this Friday should be still be good at least.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:10 PM

I'll be setting up for my tourney this Friday. I'll see if I can snap a few picks to add.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:24 PM

pfap- I would gladly play with you so that I may consume your delightful selection of Fine Quality Beers.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:25 PM

Don't get me wrong Pfap, I like your set up. I'll try and post some pics I have of previous tournies. I am having one this weekend as well, so I'll try and dress up the place. We're about in garage weather here in the central valley (Ca). Then I'll have a real ugly set up.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:59 PM

Here's a picture of my "formal" poker room. Only been used once. All the stuff on the table is for the tourney coming up Friday night.

I have a larger version if anyone needs more detail. First photo so I'm not sure about proper etiquette with sizing and all.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:37 AM

fry, this looks really neat. i like the setting and the transparent chip boxes (gotta buy these sometime in the future).
Old 09-26-2007, 06:14 PM

Here are a few pics from my summer Tournament of Champions Series:

Not quite the same beer selection as Pfap, but I'd rather play against a quantity over quality beer drinker.
I only have two table. The red felted table had to get a vinyl middle because the felt I put on there pilled up too much. I have since stripped the red felt and made it a wood race track. The other table is my first build. I just cut the corners off a plank of plywood, threw some felt on top, legs underneath and added the railing. 3 hours work at the most.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a picture of my "formal" poker room. Only been used once. All the stuff on the table is for the tourney coming up Friday night.

I have a larger version if anyone needs more detail. First photo so I'm not sure about proper etiquette with sizing and all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice and classy setup.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Looks a bit like the "judge round" of the movie "Rounders". [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]