Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 04:02 PM

Default [NL50 SH] Pussy on the river?

Reads about SB:
Very fishy, VP$IP about 50. But I did not have too many hands of him recorded.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($69.45)
Hero ($62.15)
SB ($30.25)
BB ($26.40)
UTG ($52.10)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.75</font>, SB calls $1.50, BB calls $1.25.

Flop: ($5.25) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4.5</font>, SB calls $4.50, BB folds.

Turn: ($14.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $12</font>, SB calls $12.

River: ($38.25) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $38.25

Check behind ok on the river?
Old 09-11-2007, 04:25 PM

Default Re: [NL50 SH] Pussy on the river?

this is somewhere i need to improve too but i think you need to push here. reckon you are ahead more often than not otherwise i think he either folds or reraises ur turn bet with only around $10 left after calling.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:49 PM

He's only got 12 left so I just push. If he had more I'd probably check behind.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont get this logic... what does the amount of money he has left have to do with whether or not you bet here? If you think you are ahead of his range, then you bet for value. Or, if you think you are behind but the player may fold a better hand, you may bet.

But betting because he's only got $12 left makes no sense as a rationale.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont get this logic... what does the amount of money he has left have to do with whether or not you bet here? If you think you are ahead of his range, then you bet for value. Or, if you think you are behind but the player may fold a better hand, you may bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

He'll call with a wider range cause he's have to call 12 in a 50 pot. Plus the fact that it's impossible for him to raise.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He'll call with a wider range cause he's have to call 12 in a 50 pot. Plus the fact that it's impossible for him to raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

But that's not the reason. You don't bet another 24BB if you think you're losing simply because its all that's left. You know what I mean?

If you think he should bet, wouldn't it be because you think you have the best hand here? If the opponent is calling no matter what (likely in this case), then we only bet if we think there's greater then a 50% that we have the best hand here. Otherwise we're just arbitrarily increasing our losses.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:00 PM

I have also been prone to checking behind on the river and missing a good value bet opportunity. In this case, the board has become rather scary by the end of the hand and you are sitting on top pair with a decent kicker. Either play could be easily rationalized. The important thing is to take note of what your opponent was willing to check/call with throughout the hand and use that information in later play.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But that's not the reason. You don't bet another 24BB if you think you're losing simply because its all that's left. You know what I mean?

If you think he should bet, wouldn't it be because you think you have the best hand here? If the opponent is calling no matter what (likely in this case), then we only bet if we think there's greater then a 50% that we have the best hand here. Otherwise we're just arbitrarily increasing our losses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you're right. I said I'd put it in cause he's only got 12 left. What I didn't say was that because he'll be getting such good pot odds I expect him to call with a wide enough range that hero's ahead of it. However, if he had a significant amount of money left (like pot size) I wouldn't think he'd be calling a push with all of the same hands. Also I wouldn't want to get check raised, however, unlikely and so I would most likely check behind.

Even as it is I think it's a close decision.

What do you think hero should do on the river here?
Old 09-11-2007, 06:18 PM

until I know his calling range, I am likely to check behind on the river. The villain called nearly 1/2 his stack on the turn bet. What worries me is that, if he's the kind of person to call mid or bottom pair... and was playing suited connectors (or even 1 gappers)... there's many straight and 2 pair possibilities by the river that has us beat.

I would rathar take a cheap river and use the information I learn from the hand for future hands. With a better read I may bet the river for value.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:45 PM

This decision is very read dependant, but unless the SB is very passive I think putting him all-in for his last 12 is an excelent play.

If he had you beat on the turn he would have check-raised all-in. You're pot commited with anything reasonable after that bet so he know you'll call unless you're on a complete steal.
If he improved his hand on the river he would just have pushed into you for the same reason.
His stack is so short after your turn bet that there's no more reason for him to slow play. You'll be getting over 4:1 if he pushes.

The only hand I can see that might have you beat is KJ, or QJ for a tie.

In my opinion a river push would have been an A+ play.