Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Things in news stories that bug you

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Ya, well, guess what, they committed the crime in the US, and found guilty in the US, gfy mexico, just keep sending us your slave laborers, and keep your mouth shut from now on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, we signed a treaty saying they had to have access to a consul, and that treaty is supposed to be American law at that point. So even by our laws this seems to be how it should go. Also, while military bases are a slightly different context, it's not like Americans don't push very hard for extraterritoriality for the soldiers we station overseas.

[/ QUOTE ]

soldiers v civilians....completely different

and just because it is law doesnt mean it is a good one.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So if you were to commit a crime overseas, you would be okay with being tried and convicted by local law while being denied contact with your embassy? That is my understanding of what's going on here. And you think that the military should not be subject to these restrictions? Even for cases like this one?
Old 10-10-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So if you were to commit a crime overseas, you would be okay with being tried and convicted by local law while being denied contact with your embassy? That is my understanding of what's going on here. And you think that the military should not be subject to these restrictions? Even for cases like this one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, if I commit a crime overseas, I should be held accountable and go through the same process as the people who live there, I should not receive any extra help.

The military, in cases of non-combatant situations should have to abide by the laws of the country that they are in. The people who piloted those planes should have been tried in Italian court imo.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, if I commit a crime overseas, I should be held accountable and go through the same process as the people who live there, I should not receive any extra help.

The military, in cases of non-combatant situations should have to abide by the laws of the country that they are in. The people who piloted those planes should have been tried in Italian court imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, cool, that all seems like a reasonable position then.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:13 PM

As great as America is, the story of the McDonald scam would've never taken place in a third-world country. In a less educated environment, we call the girls and the boyfriend stupid.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:14 AM

God damn that stupid manager bitch has to be the least deserving person ever to have a million dollars. Damn I'm on tilt now.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:16 AM

WTF I'm even more on tilt now. They sued McDonalds??? WTF? How is McD's ever guilty here? I want all sue-happy people going for completely disproportional amounts of money to die in a grease fire. That's all.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:52 PM

This doesn't quite follow the theme of the thread, but it bugs me how every mention in every article in Newsweek that quotes an anonymous source has to give a disclaimer.

For example, "A Pentagon official, who didn't want to be named discussing sensitive matters..." or "A Bush aide, who wished to remain anonymous discussing the personal moods of his boss..."

I get it! Anonymous sources have obvious reasons for remaining anonymous. I don't need to be told this Every. Single. Time. you have an inside source.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:52 PM

This will be general, but I can't help it. Every news story I've ever been a part of or had first hand knowledge of had fairly major factual inaccuracies that were easily knowable. Not always critical, they-got-it-completely-wrong in terms of the point of the story (though it's happened), but several relevant facts to the story are always incorrect.

One specific egregious case. A foreign language teacher in my HS from a country with no hangups on blacks said, in regards to some unruly students, "The should put those kids in the zoo, and send the lions and monkeys back to Africa." Some, not all, not most, of said students were black. He was quoted by Students Against Racism protest flyer as "They should send those monkeys back to Africa!!!" The misquote was duly reported in the local papers, and the teacher lost his job in the subsequent uproar. That he didn't actually say what he was accused of, and appeared to have no racial bias for ten years, was irrelevant.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF I'm even more on tilt now. They sued McDonalds??? WTF? How is McD's ever guilty here? I want all sue-happy people going for completely disproportional amounts of money to die in a grease fire. That's all.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your manager says "you need to strip search and give me oral" cause a guy on a phone said so, you fail as a company for hiring/poorly training the guy.

(That's my guess on how you can sue McD's)