Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Things in news stories that bug you

[ QUOTE ]
That McDonald's thing, which I remember hearing about before, blows my mind. How does the boyfriend end up with prison time? What the hell? Are people asking "Shouldn't you come down and do the search yourself? Blowjobs? Do we need a semen sample for testing?" EDIT: Having read a bit more, I think I had a different scenario in my head as to how the BJ went down, and can see potential jail time for it the way Wiki describes it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You single people should use this line in a bar for guarenteed sexin.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:47 PM

oT,

"it seems at least plausible that the boyfriend capitalized on an opportunity"

Yes, that was my impression as well.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:54 PM

When the ticker at the bottom of the TV that says "African American shot by police". To me that adds to racial tensions. I mean why couldn't it say "Man shot by police"?

It would be different if it was racial motivated. If so add something to it like "Off duty policeman in KKK uniform shoots African American".

Disclaimer - I'm absolutly not racist at all! I just think stuff like this adds to it and can't be very helpful.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:19 PM

I can't think of any specific examples (which is what this thread asked for), but a lot of the titles of news headline put me on tilt.

I've noticed that a lot of research studies, which I'm sure are actually useful/important, have titles like "Study shows that people get hungry." or "Study shows people are upset when a significant other dies." I'm sure the research study (I hope) goes into more detail than this, but some of these titles make me go NO [censored] WAY??
Old 10-10-2007, 04:25 PM

All,

"OK, I'm talking about specifics here, not random things about the news and what they cover that annoy you."

Nick and b_j were nice enough to provide examples.

Please stick to actual annoying/idiotic/strange stories rather than generalizations, thanks.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
oT,

"it seems at least plausible that the boyfriend capitalized on an opportunity"

Yes, that was my impression as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fodder for the "Basic legal things everyone should know" thread: If you're going to play the, "The Guy On The Phone Made Me Do It" card, best to be the sucker and not the suckee.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Nick and b_j were nice enough to provide examples.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see what you did there.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:36 PM

Mine was specific. I mean the ticker didn't say the guys name and I was saying what part of it really bothered me.

A specific example was on an AM station here in Memphis where some guy names Savage comes on at like 7:30 local. He was talking about how Bill Clinton secretly put NATO symbols on our fighters supporting the Kosovo deal and killing all these civilians.

My specific problem with that is that I was in Italy at Aviano AB supporting these planes and Savage was full of it. The signs on the side of our fighters had their base letters, nothing new or different.

I didn't like Bill Clinton all that much but I hate it when people make up stuff like that just to knock others down.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:40 PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2005Mar7.html

This story is really pissing me off, 50 something mexicans on death row, are going to be wasting more of our tax dollars because of a BS international law.

The situation of Mexicans facing capital punishment in Texas has been a sore point in relations between Washington and Mexico City. Mexico argues that its citizens would fare better in Texas courts if they got aid from home-country diplomats.

Ya, well, guess what, they committed the crime in the US, and found guilty in the US, gfy mexico, just keep sending us your slave laborers, and keep your mouth shut from now on.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ya, well, guess what, they committed the crime in the US, and found guilty in the US, gfy mexico, just keep sending us your slave laborers, and keep your mouth shut from now on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, we signed a treaty saying they had to have access to a consul, and that treaty is supposed to be American law at that point. So even by our laws this seems to be how it should go. Also, while military bases are a slightly different context, it's not like Americans don't push very hard for extraterritoriality for the soldiers we station overseas.