Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Recommend me a Technical Analysis book

DC has always been the man in this forum [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2007, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And I think you all know that TA is beloved by and promoted by brokerage firms because it promotes heavy turnover and reaps lots of commissions from their customers.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the mutual fund companies beat the 'buy and hold' drum because they don't want a high turnover of stock.

As the the FA and TA debate. They are both +EV strategies when used correctly and the majority of people fail to beat the indexes using both broad strategies.

The bottom line is this: There are 1000001 different approaches to trading and investing. Each approach can be +EV when used properly with emotions and check and proper risk management.

It is important to choose an approach that suits your style. Some people will find Day Trading too stressful whereas others will find long-term value investing mind-numbingly dull.

I find FA way too subjective, whereas TA suits my more scientific and creative (OK-a little subjective) way of looking at things. It stimulates my mind and I enjoy looking at a chart and indicators and choosing where to buy, how much to buy why/where to sell etc etc.

I would rather have my eyelids ripped off than pour over a stale accounts sheet. This method, whilst probably being +EV, would not be profitiable for me as I wouldn't be able to trade/invest this way.

It's different strokes, and you have to choose a method that is compatible with your personality.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm happy to have all the TA guys here have their TA discussions.

[/ QUOTE ]

But not without you jumping in to tell people it's worthless.

[ QUOTE ]
But for every successful TA practitioner there are also unsuccessful ones, probably many.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, there are strategies where that's untrue and EVERYONE beats the market!

[ QUOTE ]
And I think you all know that TA is beloved by and promoted by brokerage firms because it promotes heavy turnover and reaps lots of commissions from their customers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, just the opposite. The big brokerages are always saying T/A sucks so people will want to see their analysts' recco's. If people use T/A they will just go to cheap online brokerages.

[ QUOTE ]
When I first started posting here I definitely thought TA was worthless, given the large amount of academic research that showed little evidence it works.

[/ QUOTE ]

Say what? What research, and by whom? The only stuff I've seen was ridiculous and didn't come near being a scientific study.

[ QUOTE ]
Just as academic research shows that most "value investment" funds have trouble beating the market while the skilled guys like buffett crush it.

[/ QUOTE ]

When your argument is weak all you have to do is whip out the Buffett. Never mind that most people know that a lot of his investing is not in the stock market.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:30 AM

NOOB ALERT!

what does FA stand for?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NOOB ALERT!

what does FA stand for?

[/ QUOTE ]
Fundamental Analysis (Everything non-technical, stuff like news)
Old 07-30-2007, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DC has always been the man in this forum [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as FA goes....

THE HUN.