View Poll Results: 16. 6m BTN w/ AJs
Raise 28 75.68%
Call 4 10.81%
Fold 5 13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2007, 03:17 AM

Default EDF Cooking Contest--Pumpkin Challenge

October's challenge will be pumpkin.

We'll be doing this challenge old school Iron Chef OOT style. Anyone who wants full consideration for the challenge must submit both an appetizer and an entree that features pumpkin. Entries will be evaluated on creative use of the ingredient, execution, and presentation. Incomplete entries will fight it out in their own poll but will not be considered for challenge winner. Everyone is welcome to participate. The contest will run for the entire month of October.

For reference, you may want to check out these Iron Chef OOT challenges: Cabbage, Sweet Potato, Bacon, Rice, Beef, Avocado, Ricotta, Garlic, Catfish, Radish, Duck, asparagus, & chili peppers.

Also check out the first two EDF cooking contests Tomato Challenge and Grill Challenge.

Congratulations to SamIAm, winner of tomato challenge. If you haven't voted yet in the Grill Challenge please do so here.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:39 PM

Default Re: EDF Cooking Contest--Pumpkin Challenge

I've never cooked pumpkin before. The only thing I've heard about it is that canned actually tastes better than fresh. Confirm/deny?
Old 10-02-2007, 09:47 PM

My mother says that my great-grandmother wouldn't have been caught dead using canned pumpkin for her pies. That said canned vs. fresh pumpkin really depends. The thing canned pumpkin has going for it is convenience. For my part, I tend to use canned pumpkin for baking and fresh pumpkin for other purposes. Pumpkin can be used in most recipes that call for other squashes (acorn/butternut). I think the reason you don't see pumpkin more is because of its size. I would go for smaller baking pumpkins anyway as the large jack o' lantern pumpkins weren't bred for their taste.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never cooked pumpkin before. The only thing I've heard about it is that canned actually tastes better than fresh. Confirm/deny?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm looking forward to cooking with pumpkin pretty much because I have no idea what the *(&$# I'm doing. Pumpkin ravioli, pumpkin soup, pumpkin creme brulee, pumpkin risotto... What could possibly go wrong?

I can't figure out how to effectively pair pumpkin with a protein though. That seems to be my hangup. Maybe adding duck to a pumpkin risotto - that sounds nice. For some reason I feel like you need to pair it with game. Maybe it's seasonal. Braised venison and pumpkin? Hmm.... Maybe a hearty meat filling inside a ravioli that has a fresh pumpkin puree mixed into the pasta dough?

Hell if I know. All this stuff sounds good after a few glasses of wine.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't figure out how to effectively pair pumpkin with a protein though.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I was thinking, too. I even decided that maybe this was my chance to make a vegetarian IC entry. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm psyched about pumpkin. The desserts are endless, but the other dishes should be really interesting.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:24 AM

I haven't cooked pumpkin either - I don't even know what part of the pumpkin gets used. Should be interesting!
Old 10-03-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't even know what part of the pumpkin gets used.

[/ QUOTE ]
Um, the part inside the can?

A while ago, Cook's Illustrated had a question about how to prep fresh pumpkin for pie. They said to get the smaller, sweeter pumpkins, cut them in halves or quarters, and carve out the seeds and strings. Then roast covered, rind side down, at 325 for 75 minutes. Then uncovered for 40 and cool. THEN mush the pulp and let it drain through triple cheesecloth under weight for an hour. 5lbs pumpkin = 1lb drained puree.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:08 PM

All,

FWIW, I think the following are relatively standard, and thus less likely to win my vote:

Pumpkin ravioli
Pumpkin latte
Pumpkin cheesecake

I LOVE pumpkin ravioli, but at least around here, squash-filled ravioli is very standard fall fare.

I'm expecting you guys to take things to the next level in terms of originality and creativity!
Old 10-03-2007, 03:00 PM

I'm thinking of taking a different tactic to this challenge. I really have no idea how to make pumpkin, so I thought I would share my initial thoughts and ask for input. Feel free to build upon any of these ideas for your own dishes.

Random ideas so far:

lamb with pumpkin sauce and pumpkin seeds (with some chilis for heat? or would it be good with some type of balsamic base?)

pumpkin risotto, grits, or polenta (served in a small decorative pumpkin?? Or as a side dish, possibly with lamb)

pumpkin soup (obvious choice, but I found a variety of pumpkin at the farmers market today that apparently tastes alot like butternut squash. I forget the name, but will look it up later)

More to come later when I have a chance to do a little research. Anyone have ideas for these three options?
Old 10-03-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

FWIW, I think the following are relatively standard, and thus less likely to win my vote:

Pumpkin ravioli
Pumpkin latte
Pumpkin cheesecake

I LOVE pumpkin ravioli, but at least around here, squash-filled ravioli is very standard fall fare.

I'm expecting you guys to take things to the next level in terms of originality and creativity!

[/ QUOTE ]

ElD,

Also, do you have any food allergies we should be aware of?

Pumpkin risotto is standard fare? Tough crowd.