Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Raising 3rd after a limper in razz

Since my last post, I decided I was being too aggressive on 3rd (probably because in stud hi you try to knock people out on 3rd). Since hands run so close equity wise on 3rd, I assume that most of your profit comes on later streets. With that in mind, what are general raising guidelines that you guys use when coming in AFTER one or more limpers?

Carlos
Old 06-13-2007, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Raising 3rd after a limper in razz

well if they're limping, they probably have crappy hands and want to see 4th cheap (unless they limped a monster up front with a bunch of low cards on board behind, hoping to limp-reraise). So complete all the things that are better than crappy hands. Basically, any 7 or better and probably good 8's too.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well if they're limping, they probably have crappy hands and want to see 4th cheap (unless they limped a monster up front with a bunch of low cards on board behind, hoping to limp-reraise). So complete all the things that are better than crappy hands. Basically, any 7 or better and probably good 8's too.

[/ QUOTE ]

By good 8's do you mean 86x or 85x?
Old 06-13-2007, 07:17 PM

Hands like 875, 865 are rough 8's. By good 8 he means 82A, 832, etc....
Old 06-13-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hands like 875, 865 are rough 8's. By good 8 he means 82A, 832, etc....

[/ QUOTE ]

right. with rough 8's you're probably best off limping behind, though maybe you could raise with something like (85)A
Old 06-13-2007, 10:18 PM

Default How about reraising standards?

Okay, obviously reraising standards are a little more player and position dependant...but any general reraising rules? So far I have just been reraising non-steal position (when there is another card < 7 behind me) raises when they can't have me beat (because there up card is higher than all 3 of my cards).

If the opponent is in a steal position, I'll reraise if my highest card is the same as his door if I have a low door card. If my high card is in the door (and it is the same as the raiser) I'll reraise if my 2nd highest card is two lower than his doorcard (so I'll reraise a late position 8 with a 458).

If my hand is very live, and my pair cards are dead, I'd also reraise a possible steal when my highest card is in the hole, 1 rank higher than the raiser's doorcard, and my 2nd highest card is 1 rank lower than the raiser's doorcard.

Anything that you would modify for the above strategy?

Carlos
Old 06-14-2007, 12:20 AM

Default Re: How about reraising standards?

Read SOP. You don't always want to reraise because you are slightly ahead, particularly, HU. Also, the strength of your hand depends on how live your cards are as well as how low.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Read SOP. You don't always want to reraise because you are slightly ahead, particularly, HU. Also, the strength of your hand depends on how live your cards are as well as how low.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I realize that the hand values run close and you should do less reraising than other forms of stud. I don't own SOP. Can you please tell me your general reraising standards?

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 06-14-2007, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I realize that the hand values run close and you should do less reraising than other forms of stud. I don't own SOP. Can you please tell me your general reraising standards?

Thanks,
Carlos

[/ QUOTE ]
You need SOP.

Generally reraise loosely if villain is in steal position. Reraise very strong hands (very live wheel cards). Reraise if well ahead of villain. Reraise multiway against some weaker hands.

You need to be aware that reraising tends to tie everyone to the pot, which is one reason you don't always want to do it.

I will sometimes flat call when I suspect I am well ahead and reraise when I may be behind. I do this based on the situation, to confuse my opponent's reads on later streets, and to make my play harder to read in general. You cannot, however, reraise weak hands in razz, because the reraise tends to cause people not to fold.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:25 AM

Thanks...this was much more helpful than your orginal response!

Does SOP have other useful info besides the razz section? I was told that rest of the book is basically rewritten in Theory of Poker. Is that correct?

Carlos