Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you have changed your beliefs, has your profession had anything to do with it?
YES 2 8.00%
NO 18 72.00%
I HAVE NOT CHANGED MY BELIEFS 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2007, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Stiffing

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

We get it. You're a cheapskate, I mean, maverick hero fighting the tyranny of tipping.

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize this could easily go both ways, right? Wait, so because I voice my opinion in a public message board in a forum specifically made for random topics and etc., I'm now a "proud ... miserly"? Dude, get over yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

yah, but you don't realize your voiced opinion makes you sound like a douche.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:04 PM

tuq,

agreed. i think adding the tip in automatically for large parties is a stupid policy, but places that automatically add 20% are a bit ridiculous.

For a sit down dinner, 15% has always been what I knew as standard, extra for better, less for worse.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:06 PM

Sorry, dude, but the tone of your posts in this thread is definitely self-congratulatory, not to mention the fact that you have Mr. Pink as your avatar--"Not on my watch," etc. And sorry, but not usually tipping is the definition of "miserly." If you're okay with being the antisocial creep who doesn't tip, more power to you and I'm sure you're saving a lot of $$, but you can't really have it both ways--you're a cheapskate.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, dude, but the tone of your posts in this thread is definitely self-congratulatory, not to mention the fact that you have Mr. Pink as your avatar--"Not on my watch," etc. And sorry, but not usually tipping is the definition of "miserly." If you're okay with being the antisocial creep who doesn't tip, more power to you and I'm sure you're saving a lot of $$, but you can't really have it both ways--you're a cheapskate.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyi pretty sure a mod did this yesterday.

lol at the new change to Mrs Pink.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, another thing that a friend of mine who tended bar for many years mentioned the other day: the expected tip seems to have gone up a LOT in recent years. When I was growing up I seem to recall ~10% being standard, 15% if the service was great. Now 10% is virtually stiffing, 15% is decent and 20% seems standard. Is this just me? The expectations have gotten a bit much even if I tend to overtip because I feel for service industry folks.

[/ QUOTE ]

i get this feeling too, but i don't think it's different than most any other industry. i think everyone expects to make more for not doing more in their respective fields it seems.

the fact that there are tip jars in any business selling food or drink is a ridiculous expectation.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:10 PM

i really don't know why this argument always comes up, but not tipping is not the same as being a cheapstake. the two actually have little to do with each other, and that argument is so tired and stupid.

you don't have to be cheap to have certain views on the stupidity of tipping culture.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tuq,

agreed. i think adding the tip in automatically for large parties is a stupid policy, but places that automatically add 20% are a bit ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try serving a party of 15 people including 5 screaming kids, and get back to me on whether autograting is stupid or not.

Also, yeah, 10 percent is an awful tip these days. 15% is marginal and 20% is good. Most people seem to leave around 17-19%, which is fine.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:13 PM

i expirieneced a funny incident with my friends in nyc with a cabbie.

we take a $10 cab ride. we all have $20s driver says he can't break a 20. the cabbie is definitly trying to squeeze us. my buddy is argueing with him, then they start yelling at each other.

"you owe me $10!!!"
"you don't have change, you're supposed to have change"
"give me my money!!!"
"i have to go make change then, so chill the [censored] out"
"if you leave, I"ll kill you!"

finally a traffic officer comes over to yell at teh cabbie for sitting there. my buddy tells her quickly what's happening, and what we should do. the cabbie is still yelling at us.

the officer just says, "i don't care what you do, just move this goddam cab"

some people jump in the back of the cab. the cabbie drives off slowly cursing us out, and i'm laughing my ass off. it was just a weird funny situation, and i'd never seen my buddy like this. that was when i realized my buddy was a true New yorker now, and i would never be able to be like that. (i moved 2 months later)
Old 11-06-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tuq,

[/ QUOTE ]

Try serving a party of 15 people including 5 screaming kids, and get back to me on whether autograting is stupid or not.

Also, yeah, 10 percent is an awful tip these days. 15% is marginal and 20% is good. Most people seem to leave around 17-19%, which is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, but nowaways with everyone paying in credit, how hard is it for the person paying to simply do his own math and write it on the credit slip? do you feel that, on average, waiters get more/less/same because of this? what about someone who knows his 5 screaming kids are a pain and would tip extra, but then the tip is auto-added so he doesn't?

also, i do think its dumb when some places have it set at 6 people or more and there are three adult couples dining together and they add in the tip.

fwiw you might be right about the hassle and judging from all the non-tippers in this thread, automatic is probably the way to go.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i really don't know why this argument always comes up, but not tipping is not the same as being a cheapstake. the two actually have little to do with each other, and that argument is so tired and stupid.

you don't have to be cheap to have certain views on the stupidity of tipping culture.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, well, feel free to substitute "douchey" for "cheap," if it makes you feel any better. Tipping in restaurants is a societal convention that exists in this country. When you go out to eat and then don't tip your server, you're effectively free-riding on a system that expects you not to be an antisocial nit and pony up a few bucks. If you think the system is flawed (which it is), the fair solution is to not go out at all, thereby depriving restaurants of your money, not to take out your frustration on the person making $2.13 an hour.