Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you have changed your beliefs, has your profession had anything to do with it?
YES 2 8.00%
NO 18 72.00%
I HAVE NOT CHANGED MY BELIEFS 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Stiffing

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I have to stiff every time I see a tip jar at a cashier station, they even have them at Subway

[/ QUOTE ]

I always wonder if they're even allowed to have these set up at subway and similar places or if some employee just hand the brilliant idea to make a few extra bucks a day by setting one out.

[/ QUOTE ]

With most places its regional or down to the store depending on the owner/manager. Some of the Dunkin Donuts around me have tip jars and others have signs that specifically say "Please do not tip."

I hope that wages have been raised in those places because when I had friends that worked in coffee shops they'd make like $7/hr and then $20 a shift in tips. Now with everyone paying by CC or gift card for things like coffee, their tips must have gone waaaaaaay down.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

so you'd rather every restaurant add 15-20% to the price of each item so that they could pay a fare wage?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't like the pay system, don't work there?

Capitalistic society. Gotta love it.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
as i said, my mom is a waitress. she works weekends at a family restauraunt. she makes $2.15 per hour.

People do realize waitstaff is exempt from minimum wage right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Does your mom realize she does not have to be a waitress for a living?

[/ QUOTE ]

she actually doesn't. it's kind of embarrassing. we always say "why don't you work in a grocery store and she just drools, stares and mumbles "I iz waitress."

so you'd rather every restaurant add 15-20% to the price of each item so that they could pay a fare wage?

[/ QUOTE ]

This would do nothing but lower the average quality of service, so no, I wouldn't like this to happen. However, I would people to understand that if they work a fairly unskilled job, they aren't going to love it and they aren't going to make a lot of money. It sucks, but its the way things are.

It happens to be a bit worse in this situation because a large portion of the waiter/waitress' wage is at the discretion of customers. There are plenty of people out there, that even given very good service, are going to leave little or no tip. Combine this with different personalities, ideas of good service, selfishness, etc. and you have a giant mess.

PS -- 20 years old, spent ~5 years working various positions in both nice/[censored] restaurants.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't like the pay system, don't work there?

Capitalistic society. Gotta love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

cue AC hijack.

don't do it people, you'll get banned.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-06-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only custom title Vyse deserves is also six letters and starts with "B". I just threw up in my mouth seeing him get that for throwing the easy Reservoir Dogs tipping quote out there.

Bars: once overcame a lot of internal turmoil and stiffed a really unfriendly waitress from whom I bought a single $6 beer but who was really rude to our group for a couple of hours because we were playing bar shuffleboard and apparently in her way. The place wasn't even that crowded, she was just being a bitch. I made sure that she knew that I stiffed her before I left. Was really pissed but like I said, it was hard for me to do for some reason.

Cabs: actually, it was on my way to the 2+2 happy hour in LA a couple of months ago that the cabbie pulled the "no change" bit. First he charged a ridiculous flat fee for like 1.5 miles ($12, I think) then I decided to pay on the way, which was smart, because when he said he didn't have change I made him pull into a convenience store and get some. Still "tipped" him $3 to an even $15, he gave me some sob story about how they had just raised the minimum charge from $10 to $12 and it was cutting into his profits. Whatever buddy.

[/ QUOTE ]

is this a joke post? this post is really bizarre. ok, you "stiffed" a waitress at a bar and made sure she knew it... on a six dollar beer? so you stiffed her a dollar? yeah i'm sure she's still thinking about that one!

and then haha, you act like you stiffed the cabbie but you gave him $3 on $12? seems perfectly acceptable.

please explain this post!
Old 11-06-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Vegas cabbies seem to be real bitches about tipping. Unless you tip 30%+, half of them throw a hissy fit. I've taken to stiffing them now if they say anything negative. My fare ends up being $6.50. I give the guy $8 and he starts bitching about being tipped "only a dollar." Wtf dude? [censored] you. I took the $2 back and threw him 50 cents.

It's ridiculous. This happens at least half the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I hate tipping. People think of it as a granted right to them, as if I am obligated to. Not on my watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

We get it. You're a cheapskate, I mean, maverick hero fighting the tyranny of tipping.

[ QUOTE ]
I have a much higher standard of dining and food when I'm going out -- isn't that the point?

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like you must go to some goddawful restaurants (probably on purpose so you don't have to tip). Either that, or you're a 3 star Michelin chef who serves himself dinner wearing a tuxedo.

But seriously, being this proud of behaving like a miserly jerkoff is pretty sad.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i did this at a bar called the Brown Jug in Ann Arbor last year b/c the waitress was a huuuuuge btch.

she actually followed me out of the bar and down the street while screaming at me.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, holy [censored]. I would probably have a field day if some bitchy waitress pulled this crap on me.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:46 PM

MC Chris,

I guess I worded that poorly. I had never stiffed someone before and was fairly anxious about the whole thing. But even greater was my annoyance at her being a huge bitch to our entire group when we did nothing to deserve it. Why should I compensate someone for treating us like crap?

So anyway, I guess my point is that the total was like $6 and I gave her $6 and that was it. I didn't leave it anywhere I just gave it to her to make it clear that she wasn't getting any for her. Yeah I'm not saying it ruined her night or anything, which wasn't my intent anyway, but her air of entitlement was ridiculous (this is a bar where if there are tight confines and they're walking right at you, they always expect the customer to get out of their way, even when they're not carrying anything...I respect service industry folks but this is ridiculous and I have talked with the owner about it).

The taxi ride, that wasn't a true stiff but was referencing a post upthread about how taxi drivers can play the "I don't have change" game in the hopes of getting people to tip extra. It didn't stiff the guy at all, but I did make him get change so I could tip him adequately (but not excessively).
Old 11-06-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

We get it. You're a cheapskate, I mean, maverick hero fighting the tyranny of tipping.

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize this could easily go both ways, right? Wait, so because I voice my opinion in a public message board in a forum specifically made for random topics and etc., I'm now a "proud ... miserly"? Dude, get over yourself.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:01 PM

Also, another thing that a friend of mine who tended bar for many years mentioned the other day: the expected tip seems to have gone up a LOT in recent years. When I was growing up I seem to recall ~10% being standard, 15% if the service was great. Now 10% is virtually stiffing, 15% is decent and 20% seems standard. Is this just me? The expectations have gotten a bit much even if I tend to overtip because I feel for service industry folks.