Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you have changed your beliefs, has your profession had anything to do with it?
YES 2 8.00%
NO 18 72.00%
I HAVE NOT CHANGED MY BELIEFS 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Stiffing

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, whenever i pay by CC i tip in cash if at all possible for this exact reason. industry people who are observant will appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm, I never thought about this. Good point.

Slightly related, I make it a point to make sure I take the "customer copy" of the receipt with me every time I make a tip-related CC transaction. I suspect the rate of fraudulent/added tips is much higher when a dishonest server sees that you didn't take your copy. That's not an indictment of wait staff, it's just covering my ass.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
stinky - IMO, him asking if I wanted singles is the same as him asking if I planned on leaving a tip. This to me was a display of exceptionally bad manners.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe he recognized the fact that you had to wait forever, acknowledged the fact that he may not deserve a tip, and thought it would be rude to give singles as change without asking.

why is it acceptable practice to bring excessive amounts of one dollar bills clearly intended for tipping purposes as change if it's not acceptable to verbally acknowledge (implicitly) the fact that a tip could potentially be given?

why isn't bringing singles rude if asking what change you want is?
Old 11-06-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

why isn't bringing singles rude if asking what change you want is?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the hard place in this little rock & hard place example. There are people out there that will be pissed off if you bring 5 ones instead of a five. I've seen it grouched about in some older but probably slightly less retarded tipping thread.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is known within the restaurant world as poor form. Same goes for a waiter that asks if you want change. The guy could have been innocent about it, but usually it's not the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Asking if you need change is much different imo. I still think that the guy would just give him 5 singles so he would have the opportunity to tip unless he was short on ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

i had a waitress give me the change from my $20 all in singles, after i bought one drink. i was like, wtf? how dare her.

last time i'm going back to taht strip club.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:08 PM

LOL. Strip clubs are never short on ones. My wife works in a bank and Centerfolds is one of her customers and she tells me they come in every day and get tons of singles.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:02 PM

I went out to breakfast with my buddy the other day and we paid in cash. He threw out a few pennies on top of the cash (including the tip) so she would know that we didn't need change. I'd never seen this before and thought it was pretty smart. Do a lot of people do this? I hate it when they ask, so I'm always looking for ways other than saying I don't need change to keep them from asking.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's also an implied contract when I come up to a stop sign to, well, stop. But when there's no one there and it's late at night, I'm not going to fully stop, and who knows, maybe when I really need to get home and I'm dead tired and there's no one remotely around, I'll just go right through it without even slowing down. I'm sure that's something the majority of American drivers have done, and I doubt the common perception of them is being a douche.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. You are a complete moron. So waiters=stop signs?

When you decide to break the Stop sign contract, when nobody is around and assuming in your tired state that you don't miss a kid on a bike or a car coming along killing them, then there is no other party.

In this case, you are screwing over another human being, not an inanimate sign. Maybe this distinction isn't an important one to you?
Old 11-06-2007, 06:18 PM

I stiffed a cabbie in Vegas last winter for trying to pull a fast one on me.

I'm waiting for a cab at the Gold Coast with my wife when a little old lady comes up to us and asks where we're going and if we'd mind sharing. We tell her we're going downtown; she says she lives close by and it's on the way downtown so we share the next cab. She gets dropped off at her apartment and pays the fare (maybe $5 plus a small tip) up to that point. Then the cabbie resets the meter without saying anything so we get charged an extra $3. Goodbye, tip.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:25 PM

Maybe if the stop sign had worked a little harder and gone to college it woud have gotten a better job than just standing there all day for no pay
Old 11-06-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, whenever i pay by CC i tip in cash if at all possible for this exact reason. industry people who are observant will appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm, I never thought about this. Good point.

Slightly related, I make it a point to make sure I take the "customer copy" of the receipt with me every time I make a tip-related CC transaction. I suspect the rate of fraudulent/added tips is much higher when a dishonest server sees that you didn't take your copy. That's not an indictment of wait staff, it's just covering my ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless I'm a regular at the place I won't tip on my card if I can avoid it. I know the server prefers cash and I've spent enough time waiting tables that I've seen servers write in there own tips. I just write a big fat zero with a line through it that makes it difficult to alter on the tip line and leave cash.

I also take the customer copy and actually carry it in my wallet for a week to compare the transaction on my statement and make sure it's the right amount. I did have a server charge my card twice for an order on one occasion.