Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 05:37 PM

Default Re: just found out i\'m down 20k LONG (with cliff notes)

Hating on the OP here is retarded. He obviously isn't bitching about the fact that his parents are cheap or whatever, he's just pissed about the fact that his dad said he'd take care of the college education and then all of a sudden he's hit with a bill for $20,000.

He recognizes his parents gave him an awesome life and thus isn't bitching, he's just pissed about the way it all went down.

Reading comprehension, people...
Old 08-01-2007, 06:08 PM

Making kids pay for college is normal and not at all a douche move.

Reneging on a promise or telling someone you will do something and retracting is a douche move.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:22 PM

Was he paying for everything but federal loans or something?

Was he actually sneaky or was there just a misunderstanding?

Sucks how it went down but it seems more like you weren't paying much attention at 17, which is understandable I guess.

Note: Both words you capitalized for emphasis were spelled incorrectly [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yea i don't really feel sorry for you remarks

i never asked you to feel sorry for me.. i have a great life mostly due to my parents and i know it...doesn't really adress the point i'm making tho

[/ QUOTE ]

What point are you actually trying to make? because you aren't making it very well, and this is basically just a whiny post that should go in a blog
Old 08-01-2007, 08:19 PM

my point his i feel it was his responsibility to make sure I understood what I was signing.. he's a father giving his 18 year old son a piece of paper saying sign it... you'd think he make sure i understood it, hell agreed to it before he let me sign it...
Old 08-02-2007, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm 20 and am going into my junior year of college,my parents are generally sneaky when it comes to financial transactions that involve me.

We are not incredibally rich, but for example we live in a house worth well over 1 million dollars. I go to a 30k a year school, I recieved an academic scholarship for around 14k a year. (my budget was keep it below 20k a year after scholarship, I did 30-14 for 16k)

They pay for most of my stuff... clothes (not all of them, but enough to manage with) food, gave me 3k for a car when I was 18...they don't give me spending money or anything like that, but DEFINATELY enough to live off of comftorably as a college student

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiosity how rich does everyone think his parents are? Who were the previous owners of the house?
Old 08-02-2007, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm 20 and am going into my junior year of college,my parents are generally sneaky when it comes to financial transactions that involve me.

We are not incredibally rich, but for example we live in a house worth well over 1 million dollars. I go to a 30k a year school, I recieved an academic scholarship for around 14k a year. (my budget was keep it below 20k a year after scholarship, I did 30-14 for 16k)

They pay for most of my stuff... clothes (not all of them, but enough to manage with) food, gave me 3k for a car when I was 18...they don't give me spending money or anything like that, but DEFINATELY enough to live off of comftorably as a college student

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiosity how rich does everyone think his parents are? Who were the previous owners of the house?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing that his parents aren't rich at all but rather in debt up to their eyeballs.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my point his i feel it was his responsibility to make sure I understood what I was signing.. he's a father giving his 18 year old son a piece of paper saying sign it... you'd think he make sure i understood it, hell agreed to it before he let me sign it...

[/ QUOTE ]

OK so it is entirely a whiny post that belongs in your blog.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK so it is entirely a whiny post that belongs in your blog.

[/ QUOTE ]

nah it was more to look for input on what i should do now, get over yourself
Old 08-02-2007, 02:32 PM

This would have been in your financial aid letter, clearly put into nice tables with at least one line that says 'loan'. If you weren't expecting that you should have discussed it w/ your dad then. When calcing fin aid they expect that you have to take out loans. They just want their $$$. Also, your parents aren't leaving you out to dry, they are picking up some of the bill and paying your expenses. This is your first adult lesson, read (or ask about) what you are signing.

You have 6 mos from graduation before you have to start paying. Interest is ridiculously low for these loans. Missing payments will not only affect your credit, but your parents credit as well and the principle will just get bigger in the meantime. They will also go after both you and your parents if left unpaid for long enough. If you're still living w/ the rents (which it sounds like you will be) a job flipping burgers will be more than enough to pay the monthly payments.

Also,
[ QUOTE ]
my point his i feel it was his responsibility to make sure I understood what I was signing

[/ QUOTE ]

Your an adult now and it's not his job to do this anymore. Hopefully lesson learned.