Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 11-28-2007, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Society, Intuition and Logic

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"She loves you."
"Yikes, hellllp, I'm outta here"

[/ QUOTE ]

When is this not the correct play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this was the standard play too.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"She loves you."
"Yikes, hellllp, I'm outta here"

[/ QUOTE ]

When is this not the correct play?

[/ QUOTE ]

There must be exceptions or it'd be a heritable trait by now.

luckyme
Old 11-28-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by intuition exactly?

If you mean quick, fast thinking then we need that. We're biological computers in more need of quick'n'dirty than we are in need of continous quality. 'Snake! AH! BAD!' , 'Sugar....mmmm...'.

Being somewhat right most of the time is more than good enough for much of life purposes. But when you dwelve into the abstract knowledge models it won't cut it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite honestly I'm not sure what I mean by intuition anymore. There may be multiple levels to it. I found the myers-brigg personality thing interesting. I think I'm in the intuitive category and a lot of the folks on here are sensory so that's why everyone likes to joust with me. En garde! Hopefully you don't kill me or make me fly the coop before learning something.

A lot of mathematical, scientific people would probably be likely to be more prone to sensing than intuitive so what I say would come across as illogical to them especially in this type of linear internet format.

As I'm doing this thread I keep having this thought of a friend who visited London/Wales and toured Windsor Castle. They told me that the English thought of themselves as more intelligent than the Welsh, but they considered the Welsh to be more intuitive. There could definitely be genetic links to aspects of personality and personality and intelligence are bound to related in ways that we are just beginning to understand.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
uite honestly I'm not sure what I mean by intuition anymore. There may be multiple levels to it. I found the myers-brigg personality thing interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Theoretical scientists tend to be INTPs.
Experimental ones tend to be INTJs.

Most on here are N's of various sorts. The S's stand out.

Intuition in the MB sense would refer more to the way things frame themselves for us. N's tend to see the mortar. S's tend to see the bricks.

luckyme
Old 11-28-2007, 02:43 PM

Scientists and mathematicians are actually more likely to be intuitive on the MBTI. People in general are much more likely to be S than N. IIRC ~70% of people are sensing. I'd wager a significant amount that SMPers are more intuitive.

But we aren't discussing the MBTI. The Jungian concept of perceiving functions has little bearing on the idea of "inuition" as we're using the term - and particularly as opposed to logic. The reality is that logical people tend to be intuitive, logic and intuition go hand in hand. I touched on this earlier. It's a myth that logic and intuition are opposed.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:09 PM

Lol..I can't even remember my own personality type anymore, but I had the I and J...that's all I remember. I need to look it up one of these days. But there's suppose to be thousands of variants on the 16 types anyways depending on the degree to which each of the basic 4 subtypes is tweaked.

I know the intuition and logic work together. I just think people are mostly logical in this forum to a higher degree than I am. You're not any more curious about ideas than me you just like a lot of structure. I have a friend that likes to tell me that I overanalyze things and I took a test once a Kiplinger's Personal Finance Quiz and it ended up I'd answered it like a man. The financial goals of men and women apparently are very different and that's probably 1 reason why married couples fight over finances alot because ingrained personality traits are almost impossible to overcome. Women crave security. Men crave independence.

Now I know I just went off on a tangent. I'm intuitive so I jump around a lot. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2007, 03:10 PM

I was really enjoying and following this thread until people switched from English to single letters.

My understanding of letterspeak if very limited... I know the basics like "I love BLTs"
Old 11-28-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just think people are mostly logical in this forum to a higher degree than I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

ya think?

luckyme
Old 11-28-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just think people are mostly logical in this forum to a higher degree than I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

ya think?

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

Be nice! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2007, 03:21 PM

Acronyms. IIRC is "if I remember correctly" or "if I recall." MBTI is the Myers-Briggs Type Inventory/Indicator, a personality test that uses eight traits (Introversion, Extraversion, Sensing, iNtuition, Thinking, Feeling, Judging, and Perceiving).

LOL is laughing out loud, and SMP is Science, Math, and Philosophy (LDO).