Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Friend is late for everything

Being late like that means that he cares more about his time than yours. I'd end that friendship pretty damn quick.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:14 PM

Set something up at your place. Invite his gf/sister.
Bang his gf/ sister.
When he comes over, say "Oh man, you were late, we didn't have anything to do."
Old 11-02-2007, 02:08 AM

I think this kind of thing is a control issue, but this is from my limited knowledge. They enjoy the power trip while their in that borrowed time. It's not that big a deal once you realize that's what it is.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:01 AM

I've got a friend who is exactly like this. I've only lived in this area for a short while so often it's just me and him going to the pub or something.

Anyway, I tend to plan something else to do and if he's more than an hour late I go do that and tell him not to bother coming over. Pretty annoying at times but I'm meeting people round here now so soon it won't be such a pain.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:27 AM

I have a friend like this too. And w/ him I think the root is self-importance. He's an investment consultant and when he actually decides to follow through with plans all he does is talk about how much cash he brought in for the day. He's also a pathological liar b/c in the midst of his braggasms I'll hear him quote 3-4 different figures for his commission from the latest big deal - depending on who he's talking to.

About a month ago I agreed (foolishly) to start working out with him, but made it clear that it had to be on a regular schedule. We seriously missed at least 40% of our sessions for the first 3 weeks, and it was entirely on account of his negligence. Often times he wouldn't even call to tell me that he was cancelling. When I told him I wasn't gonna bother training with him anymore he acted all insulted and shocked that I was making such a 'big deal' out of it. Even though we've been good friends since high-school (10yrs) I'm reaching the point where I could care less if I ever hang out w/ him again. You CANNOT change these people, so you either have to put up with the bs or spend your time w/ more reliable friends.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:34 PM

I am exactly this person. I never look at the clock. It might take me 5 minutes to meet somebody or 3 hours if I get sidetracked by a book or something.

I'm also horrible at returning phone calls, emails, etc.

I just try to tell people that I'm bad with time and that they shouldn t feel the need to wait for me; if I make it, I make it, if I don t ....

Also, I avoid making definite plans. Instead I'll say, "Maybe I'll meet you for dinner on Tuesday. I might call at 4 pm, but don t hesitate to make other plans."

I don t know what the big deal is, but I know most people are touchy about punctuality so I do make an effort, but mostly just regress to the old ways. It's like what Hassan i Sabbah said about how nothing is true and everything is permitted; in the end being late is equivalent to being on time when viewed from the perspective that it makes no difference where your once animated dust ends up.

Edit: lol. I just read Garcia's link. That's what people do to me.. They "trick" me by saying let's meet at 7, for example, when they know I'll show by 9, which is the real time they want to meet. I laugh at this so much. It is a good strategy and is easy on us late, pathetic bastards.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:01 PM

never expect him at a time frame, just tell him "we're gonna be here at this time until this time , see you there"
Old 11-02-2007, 02:15 PM

To be honest, I think it's kind of sad that people put such a premium on things like returning a phone call or an email or text message or whatever, but couldn't care less about actually listening to a fellow conversant or having a discussion that goes beyond which bar / party they are going to it.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:56 PM

I'm sooooooooooooooooooooo this person.

I just get engaged in something.

Eg I can pickup a book to read and when I need a toilet break or a drink 4 hours have gone by :/

Its really frustrating for people around me and I do try and be mindful but honestly once I start a task I'm there until its done, and I cant keep a track of time while I'm engaged in something.

I just get people to do the same as the article, eg if we're going somewhere for 8 tell me we'll be there at 7, so when I show up at 7:45 or something there is nps [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Set something up at your place. Invite his gf/sister.
Bang his gf/ sister.
When he comes over, say "Oh man, you were late, we didn't have anything to do."

[/ QUOTE ]

What if sonneti is not a lesbian?