Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Workout---Thoughts

Fair enough. How long have you been training for? If your knees hurt from running, then try hittin the bike, or eliptical (kinda crappy), or swimming. You're replacing cardio with semi-high volume isoation movements. Don't take this the wrong way but, thats ass-backwards. You are NOT getting much of a cardio workout by curling a dumbell 15 times instead of the regular 10 times. You should incorporate cardio into your regular routine but at a different time (if possible) or a different day. I used to take a run as soon as I woke up in the morning and workout in the evening.
It sounds like you want to add a little bit of lean muscle to your build, but not too much, while losing some fat. Honestly, you should ditch the high volume (this isn't really even high-volume, more like warmup sets) and stick with a basic structure of 4 X 8-10 (1st set warmup), and really focus on a couple key, whole body excercises (back squats + bad knee = surgery; so that might be out of the question). Tall frames aren't really build for squats, you're built for pulls (deadlifts, etc), I'm sure you've heard that stuff about levers, etc.

The other thing is that your goals are mixed, you want to lose weight but gain muscle mass? You must cycle bulking/cutting phases to get the most of your training. I suggest you go on a bulking phase for 2-3 months, and really hammer out 3 quality sets/excercise. After this you should enter a cutting cycle, amp up your cardio to 4-5 days/week and lean out your diet.
As an aside, there is a high-vlume training method that Poliquin wrote about (it originated in Germany) that really works (if you don't mind puking your brains out during workouts), essentially it is a 10 X 20 (yes, 10 sets of 20 reps) approach that uses the same weight at 60% of your 1RM. Its freaking tough, but it works and it hurts. Heres a link: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/luis13.htm
Old 03-15-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fair enough. How long have you been training for? If your knees hurt from running, then try hittin the bike, or eliptical (kinda crappy), or swimming. You're replacing cardio with semi-high volume isoation movements. Don't take this the wrong way but, thats ass-backwards. You are NOT getting much of a cardio workout by curling a dumbell 15 times instead of the regular 10 times. You should incorporate cardio into your regular routine but at a different time (if possible) or a different day. I used to take a run as soon as I woke up in the morning and workout in the evening.
It sounds like you want to add a little bit of lean muscle to your build, but not too much, while losing some fat. Honestly, you should ditch the high volume (this isn't really even high-volume, more like warmup sets) and stick with a basic structure of 4 X 8-10 (1st set warmup), and really focus on a couple key, whole body excercises (back squats + bad knee = surgery; so that might be out of the question). Tall frames aren't really build for squats, you're built for pulls (deadlifts, etc), I'm sure you've heard that stuff about levers, etc.

The other thing is that your goals are mixed, you want to lose weight but gain muscle mass? You must cycle bulking/cutting phases to get the most of your training. I suggest you go on a bulking phase for 2-3 months, and really hammer out 3 quality sets/excercise. After this you should enter a cutting cycle, amp up your cardio to 4-5 days/week and lean out your diet.
As an aside, there is a high-vlume training method that Poliquin wrote about (it originated in Germany) that really works (if you don't mind puking your brains out during workouts), essentially it is a 10 X 20 (yes, 10 sets of 20 reps) approach that uses the same weight at 60% of your 1RM. Its freaking tough, but it works and it hurts. Heres a link: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/luis13.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

K...only thought i was giving myself some semblence of a cardio workout because I don't rest between sets or exercises for the entire workout.

i basically hate cardio but may do that guerilla cardio thing someone linked or the stuff Thremp is talking about

i work 8:30-8pm M-F so swimming is probably out of the picture.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:52 PM

GVT is a 10x10 routine with a 20RM weight, where you don't plan on doing all 100 reps. You should likely do something like the following:

Since there is suppose to be a neurological "bounce back". It works goot. But is ultra high volume. I'm not really in that camp so I can't speak too much about it. EDT (what I want to try in future) is similar but its ~60-75 reps at 10RM typically in 5s triples or singles. So I like the higher intensity quite a bit.

I'd just pull a workout from somewhere else. I've done a few of the waterbury ones off T-nation and graduated to the "build your own" version he outlined. I planned on doing it only for a short time while rehabbing my back, but its working so I don't really wanna fix it till it breaks.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:17 PM

Yah, German Volume training is unbelievable, you're right, its 10X10 (just checked the article [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
I actually did 10X20 with 135 for squats, thats where that # came from. I decided to hammer legs rediculously hard for 3 months because my legs were worse than the hands I'm getting in the $5R right now (Bad). I ended up adding 10 lbs and about 90 lbs to my 1RM for squats.
Honestly, the GVT isn't supposed to add that much strength, so my gains were most likely due to better form (due to repetition) and neurological growth/better impulses.
What are the benefits of EDT?
Old 03-15-2007, 08:45 PM

whats 20RM mean
Old 03-15-2007, 09:01 PM

rm = rep max...so 20rm is a weight you can do twenty times...1rm is a weight you can only do once...
Old 03-15-2007, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whats 20RM mean

[/ QUOTE ]
This is your 20 Rep Maximum. The max. weight you can perform 20 reps with.