Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 06:44 PM

Default Milk

Lets talk about it.

I hear various things about whether its good or bad.

I usually make my protein shake with a cup and a half of skim milk, which has a ton of vitamin d, calcium, and protein.

But i hear it spikes insulin and does other natsy things?

It seems like an absolutely awesome source of healthy good stuff + protein so i'm reluctant to cut it out, but I'd really like to know more.

For what its worth I'm no elite body builder or anything, i just lift a little, 5'11" 160-165 bench like 200, reps with 145, squat reps with like 200, dead reps with 155 or so.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Milk

Depends on your goals. Gaining weight --> go for the gallon. Losing weight ---> limit intake.

I'd first work on getting a bigger deadlift than bench, unless you're a quad [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2007, 07:04 PM

Assuming a normal western diet, with no lactose intolerance, yes, milk is great. Most people would do great with a skim choclate milk as their PWO nutrition. Doesn't get much better than that for the right ratios of sugar/protein.

As you get more serious and logical about diet/nutrition, read a few studies on pub med, etc yeah there are better things out there other than dairy.

Only a very small number of people actually have lifestyles and diets where milk is the worst thing in your diet, so I wouldn't really sweat it.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:16 PM

yeah i started lifting in high school and am now done with college (very sporadic) but i only started deadlifts maybe a year or two ago.

Also i have small hands and a sadly weak grip so deads are pretty tough for me.

I'm just getting back in the gym, all my stats are going to go up pretty quick, but not more than say 10-20% before i'm back to my pbs.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:47 AM

Lots of studies showing strong correlation between milk and prostate cancer. Just google search and take them for what you think they are worth.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:41 AM

well pasturization is bad from what I hear, but aside from that (which is a biggee from what I hear), all milk sold in stores has that bovine growth hormone which is really really bad for you according to everyone, even the medical profession (cancer, etc.).

from what I hear "organic" used to be a label you could trust not to have the hormone in it (although still pastuerized), but the recent change to definition of "organic" makes it very plausible that "organic" milk may now have the hormone as well.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:42 AM

non-pasteurization is worse.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
non-pasteurization is worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

kind of a straw man argument here. past vs. dirty raw milk.

basically if you can't get clean raw milk then don't drink it from what I know.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well pasteurization is bad from what I hear

[/ QUOTE ]

This is totally unconfirmed. The people who believe that dead organisms in the milk are harmful are totally nuts. OTOH fresh raw milk is totally delicious, so by all means drink it if you can get it!!

BTW it's retarded that we can't get irradiated milk in the US which has better flavor that pasteurized and is equally as safe.

You're also right that while gmo corn is illegal to serve to humans, it is legal to use in feed; in general the regulations on feed are super minimal which is kind of scary since of course it goes into the milk eventually.

The links to prostate cancer seem to be due to rbST, so if you buy organic milk that should alleviate that (this link is tenuous however and many scientists say rbST is harmless). Another advantage of organic is that the less milk a cow makes the better it tastes.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is totally unconfirmed. The people who believe that dead organisms in the milk are harmful are totally nuts. OTOH fresh raw milk is totally delicious, so by all means drink it if you can get it!!

BTW it's retarded that we can't get irradiated milk in the US which has better flavor that pasteurized and is equally as safe.

You're also right that while gmo corn is illegal to serve to humans, it is legal to use in feed; in general the regulations on feed are super minimal which is kind of scary since of course it goes into the milk eventually.

[/ QUOTE ]

gmo corn I don't know all the details but I've heard the high fructose corn syrup is from gmo, pretty sure gmo corn is in human food.

as far as heated milk, I think it has more to do with denaturing the milk and it's hormones/proteins rather than dead bacteria. also since milk will be "cleaned" via past. , milk is let get dirty and some producers "dope" it with antibiotics or at least they used to.