Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 05:01 AM

Default Rolled up, bad fold?

This was a kill hand, so we were playing for 30/60.

V1 knows how to play but shows plays a lot more high cards on 3rd than I do.

Hero (22) 2 - BI -- 3bets
(xx) K
(xx) 3
(xx) 6 -- (kill) -- folds
V1: (xx) T -- raises -- calls
V2: (xx) 4 -- calls -- calls
(xx) 9 -- folds

4th:
Hero: (22) 2Q -- checks -- calls
V1: (xx) TJ -- bets -- calls
V2: (xx) 45 -- raises

5th:
Hero: (22) 2Q4, 3 spades (spades are live) -- folds and leaves the building
V1: (xx) TJT -- bets
V2: (xx) 45A -- raises

Do I call 4th to disguise my hand to bet it out? If I had bet out, do you think I would have been able to better define the hand of V1?

As I write it out, it feels more like V1 had AAT or KKT and less like TTx. Was this a bad fold? I'd been running badly all night and I didn't want to make a series of tilty calls leading to my going postal.

Should you really raise & reraise with rolled 2s?

Please begin volume one of my misplays here.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Rolled up, bad fold?

Is this high only, or high-low?

Also, just my curiosity, exactly how does a kill in stud work? I have never heard of that before.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:05 PM

I don't like forth street. Deception is wrong here for several reasons:
- You 3-bet 3rd street, tipping off a strong hand. They still don't know you're rolled (you could have JJ-AA here), but they should know you've got something.
- The pot is big. Deception goes down in value in big pots.
- The pot is 3-way. The more players in a pot, the more you should be playing straightforward.

5th street is obviously a tough situation. Given the way V2 played 4th and 5th, our trips really can't be the best hand right now. It depends on how good we think V2 is: if he's generally overly aggressive, I probably call, with the intention of folding to any more aggression from V1. If V2 is decent or generally passive, I fold.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:58 PM

Out of idle curiosity, is this a full kill or a half kill?

Unless you misreported the action, when you raise third, that makes two bets, not three.

If this was high-only, I think the fold is fine. If this was high-low, I think you have to persevere. First, the one guy probably shouldn't be raising with split Tens on third street. Second, it's going to be difficult for the apparent low to make a wheel what with you hogging all of the Deuces. I just can't see folding at this point.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless you misreported the action, when you raise third, that makes two bets, not three.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now thinking that the kill is a blind complete, so he actually did make it three bets?

Again though, I have never heard of a kill in stud - had thought about putting one into our home game but couldn't figure out how to do it well.

Andy, do you know how a kill in stud works? If you don't want me hijacking the thread with this, you could PM me or we could start a new thread about it.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:13 AM

Sorry, there was still smoke coming out of my ears when I posted the hand. I believe that I threw a couple of cards (first time ever) and will be owing an apology or two next time I go back to that game.

The game was 20/40 OE mix, with a half kill to 30/60 when there is a scoop over $400. There is also a "small kill" -- when one wins a scoop over $300 action stays 20/40 but winner has to post $20.

FWIW, I am a novice at the "E" but fairly experienced at the "O." This is the only O8 action I can find on this level locally. I generally make enough from the O8 that I'm willing to give action back on the S8. I 've read a lot about "E" and post questionable hands when I'm not sure if I'm right.

The way the kill works is that the BI chips in for $5, and then you can either call $5 or fold until the kill, who is automatically in for his $30. Then after the kill you can call $30 or raise. This way the BI still pays, but the kill acts last and gets lots of information.

So in this hand, the kill completed (mandatory), the Ten bumped it, presumably to isolate -- I had seen her do this before -- and then I 3bet it.

At the time, I felt that if Villain had split 10s and made trips then I was way behind and needed to let go. After I let go, I was kicking myself for not seeing it through because of the possibility that Villain had (KK)T or (AA)T. But the way the action was going I could also see getting whipsawed while I drew to half.

They were both decent players. I have a few hours in with each of then. V1, who I thought made a sketchy play to isolate with the Ten on 3rd, usually has piles of chips in front of her.

I ran really badly last night, and I went memorably tilty for the first time that I can remember. So I couldn't tell whether my judgment was clouded. It was a unique hand -- I hadn't seen the situation before -- and I'm not sure whether I made a great lay or gave away pot equity.