Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 12:56 PM

Default Any suggestions on how I played this hand?

Cash home game with .50/100 blinds. Started with $100, I currently had $310 when this hand begins and we are playing 6 handed as a few have busted out and left.

I'm BB with 68o when 4 limp to me, so I check. $5 in the pot.

Flop comes 10 9 7 rainbow flopping me the straight. UTG with only $5 in the pot I check knowing a few players behind me are likely to bet. No one bets though and it checks around.

Turn is Q putting 2 clubs on the board. I bet $4 into the $5 pot 2 players fold, then Button raises to $8. Pot now $17. I reraise $25, and he calls the additional $25.

River is Ace, no club. I lead out $25 and he goes all in. Now here I am fairly certain he either had a set or KJ and most likely had KJ. The Ace is meaning less for KJ as he had the straight on the turn if he had it. But considering he didnt raise me on the turn with 2 clubs on the board, I decided to call thinking he was playing his set scared as he often doesnt reraise big hands as he is worried of being drawn out on. At the same time, I know he doesnt put all his chips in without a big hand putting me in a bad spot.

It was an additional call of $121 to me after he puts in the $25. I call, he shows KJ clubs, meaning he had the better straight on the turn plus the Club draw going into the river (which he didnt hit).

I was mad at myself for calling when I knew I was beat...but like I usually do, I tried to convince myself that there were hands I could beat here and with all that money in the pot I should call, and of course I did.

I immediately started trying to figure out how I could have played this hand different to change the outcome. Would you have bet the flop? To be honest, with so little money in the pot he said he would have called any flop bet with 2 overcards and inside straight draw in an unraised pot PF so even if I bet the flop (unless I make a gross overbet of the pot) I just dont see it changing anything.

So I guess, I could have just folded on the river...what do you think?

This hand knocked me down to $130 or so but I still ended the night with almost $300 by nights end 2 hours or so later, but this hand is the one thats bugging me as I feel like I played great most the night except for this hand.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Any suggestions on how I played this hand?

FYI...I over bet when I reraised on the turn since I had been pushing the table around because I had been getting good cards but with no SD so they think I had been bullying. I put him on a Q or maybe a draw at best at that point with only the min raise, and with the over bet I was hoping it would like a steal attempt and induce a call.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:57 PM

I'm not one of the 2+2 experts. Also, I hardly ever play NLHE. That said, I couldn't have played it any better. I would've lost a lot more sleep by folding and not seeing his hand than by calling and losing.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:13 PM

Personally I bet the flop, there's soooo many limped hands that will give us action here, especially with 5 people in the pot. That said, checking isn't the worst mistake in the world.

From the turn on, the hand is played well. I just can't lay this down with all the set, 2 pair, and busted draw bluffs that might be pushing besides KJ.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:25 PM

You are deep and need to start building a pot on the flop.

You just flopped the second nuts (J8).

His min raise is really bad with any set, j8, 68 or JK.

Think your 3b on the turn is fine.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
River is Ace, no club. I lead out $25 and he goes all in. Now here I am fairly certain he either had a set or KJ and most likely had KJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is true, then it is a redic easy call.

Ts9c7dQcAh

Against QQ,TT-99,77,KJs,KJo
you have 43% equity.

You only need about 35%.

Snap call this.

Note that even if you lose this hand 60% of the time, a call is still good, given the pot odds.

Note: you are still 39% if you add in J8s.

Add two pair hands, combos, etc and your equity goes up even more.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:30 PM

Bet the flop. Then lose your money in a hand you can't get away from. Rebuy outplay them get it all back.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the flop. Then lose your money in a hand you can't get away from. Rebuy outplay them get it all back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost always bet the flop here, I only didnt because I had 4 players behind, 2 of which love to bet ragged flops and was expecting someone else bet. I made the call, paid if off, then built my stack back up to near what it was by nights end.

Thanks for everyones input here. Like I said, I felt great about my game the rest of the night except this hand was one that I wasnt sure on, but I feel better about it now.

The best thing about this hand was that it allowed me to appear to be on tilt to the rest of the table when I wasnt on tilt at all. This allowed me to get great value bets in on my strong hands. I wasnt even close to tilt, like I said I had been playing great and was in control of the table most of the night, so I wasnt even sweating this hand other than wondering if I could have played it better.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:23 AM

I played a similar hand about 2 weeks ago.

J7 offsuit in the BB. Flop came 8-9-10 rainbow, 4 limpers pot of $17 (after rake). I bet $20, one caller, turn comes Q. I bet $40 and he raises to $140. I read him on KJ.

I muck J7 FACE UP and I get yelled at by 4 people and I politely asked the raiser to show his KJ to the table and indeed he did. I had another $400 or so behind me so I saved myself a lot of money that most there would have put all in.

Every time I see a lot of them, they still compliment me on my "amazing read"... which kinda sucks now because I've lost my disguise as an average player :/

You played it right, more times than not he's gnna have 2 pair or a set... with 1 card to a straight, fold it but 2 cards that people play normally to a higher straight, gotta let it go unless its crazy good odds.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:43 AM

i dont see him checking a set here with such a drawy board

unless hes super passive?