Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentin

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
IMO, it's a shame that so many people come to this country and only see Buenos Aires and a few places around here. This country has a wealth of natural parks and beautiful places that must be seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beautiful country. Im curious if you travelled outside of BA by car. I like to take day trips/explore by car, and I am wondering if it is feasible to live in BA and have a car.

[/ QUOTE ]

whangarei,

There is absolutely no need to have a car within the city of Buenos Aires. It will be far more of a headache than anything and won't help you get around any quicker. People drive crazy here and I wouldn't want the liability.

You can rent a car to go explore the rest of the country, but it is generally very expensive at like $50-100 a day if I remember correctly. For this reason, everyone takes buses or flies to other parts of the countries depending on where it is. The buses are pretty cheap and a good way to get to parts of the country under a 10 hour bus ride away.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Metetron -

After spending the day at Barnes & Nobles reading Argentina travel books, I'm leaning heavily towards a BA relocation. Any further experiences you can share regarding setting up an account with Party (and Neteller?) would be enormously appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Subfallen,

You send in a copy of your passport and lease agreement to them and they change your address. With Party Poker this is a lot bigger pain in the ass than it really should be. 95% of your emails go unanswered and you have to keep calling and emailing until you get lucky. I hate this company.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:41 AM

"Picking up in Argentina is very easy for an American. They differentiate between US people and US policy. You need to have Argentine friends though, and if it's female friends, women will sort of openly flirt. E.g., they'll openly talk to you, but they'll wait till your girlfriend goes to the bathroom before giving you their number (or showing up at your hotel). Guys who head out alone will have a lot more difficulty. There are a class of dolled up girls called "gatos" (cats) who basically shoot guys down all night and then talk about how cute they (the shot-down guys) were. Many women do this on the street with eye-contact games.

Also, if you get caught cheating, your girlfriend wants you more, as do other women. It's [censored] up. Women are insanely jealous and think nothing of going through your pockets after you go to bed after a night out with the guys, looking for evidence of chicanery. I knew a Canadian there who spoke the local accent perfectly, had lots of cash, and only dated ex-pats despite LOTs of options.

Age acceptable difference is freaky. I shot down girls when I found out they were 17 (looked 24). The 35-year-old next to me called me an idiot. Lots of guys get divorced around 40 and shack up with a late-teens, early 20's girl.

They are by and large very racist and unapologetic about it. I've seen people leaving their leftovers for a stray dog and ignoring the native-American, obviously hungry, prostitute on the corner."

Wtf, have you ever even been to BA? I give your review a C-.

For the most part I'd tend to agree with most everything Metetron and Chairman Wood have said thus far in the thread.

I'll chime in some now, as I just got back from a nearly 3 week vacation in Bolivia.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1. When Argentines make jokes about dumb people (like Polock jokes in the US), where do the stupid people come from?
2. When Argentinian mothers tell their children to finish their food, from where do the starving people come? (ex. Africa, Ethiopia, India)
3. Do you like the juh sound they make when pronouncing words with y's or ll's? (Say this 5 times fast Yo lloré ya)
4. Same for "vos".
5. (probably the most important) Who is the best football player ever to put on a Sevilla jersey? (hint: it's incredibly easy to get this, if you can't watch, my avatar for a bit)
6. Know anything about this Fazio guy Sevilla just signed? He's a center back on the Argentina under 21 team.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Chileans, Bolivians, Peruvians.
2. Ehhhh
3. I like it, and can't quit it.
4. 2Legit2 quit.
5. El Diego.
6. Fazio is a great pickup, looks like a good prospect. I haven't seen him play outside of the U-20s, but he's got good size and quickness, and a good head on his shoulders. I saw on the news that Athletico Madrid just signed some 12 yr old. Damn I feel old.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:25 PM

How much does your apartment(the one you posted pics of) cost?

The stuff you said about not being able to pick up chicks unless you are with a girl and girls liking you better if you are cheating on them... Is this based on your personal experiences or what other people tell you?

"With Party Poker this is a lot bigger pain in the ass than it really should be. 95% of your emails go unanswered and you have to keep calling and emailing until you get lucky. I hate this company."

It might be because I am probably in the top 25 for Party rake contribution in 2006, but this was a pretty painless process for me.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The stuff you said about not being able to pick up chicks unless you are with a girl and girls liking you better if you are cheating on them...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think Metetron was the one that said this, and the statement was almost entirely inaccurate.

I personally live here with my fiance and while I'm 100% faithful, have been approached by a few and heavily flirted with by a good number of Argentine girls while alone, with friends, or whatever. Argentine girls, while generally passive (just due to the aggressiveness of the Argentine guys which rivals the Italians)

Argentine women liking you better if you cheat? Wtf? Just retyping that makes me feel silly.

I will say however that nearly 100% of Argentine guys cheat, and the women are all in a kind of unspoken denial. I have friends who have 2-3 serious girlfriends that don't know about each other. It's pretty much a don't ask don't tell type of thing..
Old 01-31-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The stuff you said about not being able to pick up chicks unless you are with a girl and girls liking you better if you are cheating on them...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think Metetron was the one that said this, and the statement was almost entirely inaccurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't, but it took a second to realize you weren't the one saying it. The quoting wasn't very easy to see.

KKF,

The apartment I posted pictures of is grossly overpriced, but was all I could find availability at last minute. I'm moving into a new place for $975 in two weeks or so. Keep in mind I am mostly paying for location here. The same apartment in even Palermo would be $600 or so. Anyways, here are pictures of the apartment I'm moving into:

The Lobby

The Building

Living Room

Bedroom

Bathroom

Kitchen

Balcony

Gym

Rooftop Pool / Asado Area

Keep in mind I definitely could have spent less, but I like it for location, amentities, furnishings, etc. I wouldn't be as happy somewhere else.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:22 PM

what neighborhood is this in?
Old 01-31-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what neighborhood is this in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Recoleta

Edit: I've got this place rented for a long time, don't think you can jack it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Argentina is definitely the safest South American country... and has a lower rate of violent crime than any country in both North and South America except for Canada*.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.