Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 06:21 PM

Default Re: tell him you\'re about to start reading my new book

maybe complain about holdings but just talk more in general if you want to seem more involved in the game. It really works well.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:22 PM

Default Re: fish commenting on my tight play

[ QUOTE ]
You raise a good point, I don't want to encourage people to play well. However, when they make loud comments out of ignorance about my play, it annoys me. Maybe I should just ignore it.
I'd rather say something funny though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

What ignorance? It sounds like you're playing tight and the guy said you were tight? Did he imply that you were a bad player? If so, why wouldn't you want to further encourage that line of thinking? There's nothing I like better when playing poker than a bad player thinking he's better than I am.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:09 PM

I think the main problem is that it destroys your action if some idiot announces to the whole table that you play tight.

What i usually do in this spot is showing a bluff, or even better bluff the guy who destroys my action. Very often they will fold their holdings to a good sized bet couse you are playing so "tight". However I play NL so dont try this too often at limit [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2007, 11:51 PM

Great example at the game tonight. I folded 10-15 hands being that I was just getting crap cards. Finally I get pocket queens, and I raise to $7. Guess what? 7 callers.
Flop comes 2d-3h-3d. I raise to $5, villain (LAG)raises to $10, next player (LAG) to his left takes it to $15. Table folds to me, I call. Turn comes a 6c. I raise $5(all in), call, call. River is a 5h. Villain turns over Jd4d for the straight, guy in front of him mucks. I can understand all of his outs after the flop and turn, but to raise pre-flop with J4suited? I'm guessing his loose buddy next to him was playing the same junk he'd been playing all night. I'm to the point of learning micro-limit games are more about getting lucky cards than playing poker. You can't push people out of anything, and they all play garbage to the river. If you catch cards, you'll slaughter the place, but for me, it's no limit from here on out for a while.

Reminds me of $5 limit blackjack. If you're counting cards, when the deck gets positive, you can't put enough $ in when the odds are in your favor to offset the negative deck playing time.
low limit=less about skill, more about luck
Old 11-26-2007, 12:02 AM

One of the funniest things I've done when a losing fish, who thinks hes an expert but keeps getting felted and buying back in, lectures someone is this:

I loudly called for a chip runner (meanwhile I was deepstacked). Everyone at the table was really confused. When the chip runner came over to the table I said "Just stand behind that guy over there (pointed to fish) and wait...he'll need you again shortly"
Old 11-26-2007, 12:12 PM

Default Re: tell him you\'re about to start reading my new book

[ QUOTE ]
Yup. Tell him you're new, but trying to learn how to play good like him. That's why you bought Al_Capone_Junior's new book "play bad, win big."

Don't forget to mention my chapters on ...

straddling (the straddle rule: 4 beers and I start straddlin')

any two will do

49o: powerhouse revisited

The only losers are the ones who folded

they were sooooted.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

MORE CHAPTERS PLZ !!!!
Old 11-26-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the main problem is that it destroys your action if some idiot announces to the whole table that you play tight.

What i usually do in this spot is showing a bluff, or even better bluff the guy who destroys my action. Very often they will fold their holdings to a good sized bet couse you are playing so "tight". However I play NL so dont try this too often at limit [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got no problem with playing with a tight image. (But I play limit.) Why would I destroy my tight table image by showing my bluffs?
Old 11-26-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great example at the game tonight. I folded 10-15 hands being that I was just getting crap cards. Finally I get pocket queens, and I raise to $7. Guess what? 7 callers.
Flop comes 2d-3h-3d. I raise to $5, villain (LAG)raises to $10, next player (LAG) to his left takes it to $15. Table folds to me, I call. Turn comes a 6c. I raise $5(all in), call, call. River is a 5h. Villain turns over Jd4d for the straight, guy in front of him mucks. I can understand all of his outs after the flop and turn, but to raise pre-flop with J4suited? I'm guessing his loose buddy next to him was playing the same junk he'd been playing all night. I'm to the point of learning micro-limit games are more about getting lucky cards than playing poker. You can't push people out of anything, and they all play garbage to the river. If you catch cards, you'll slaughter the place, but for me, it's no limit from here on out for a while.

Reminds me of $5 limit blackjack. If you're counting cards, when the deck gets positive, you can't put enough $ in when the odds are in your favor to offset the negative deck playing time.
low limit=less about skill, more about luck

[/ QUOTE ]
blurred, don't get put off by this kind of beat. You should love their play because long term you are +EV. Yes I know it hurts like hell when the donks catch but that type of play you want to keep happening.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:29 PM

Some of my favorite comments that I make at the table if someone comments on my play:
Its my first time playing this game how am i doing?
If someone comments on how tight im playing, I tell them that the slot machines and table games are over there if I feel the urge to burn money
But i was halfway in (limit obviously)
I had outs (when its clear i didn't)
But I was soooted and soooted hands are always the nuts!
I had to play my favorite hand
Because I saw you just do it so I thought I could too (if i hit runner runner)
But I had top top (Jamie gold reference insues)
If someone comments on the fact they can't beat me I tell them not to worry I'll give it back at some point (lol)
Always say ty no matter how sarcastic someone is when they say nh

I'll think of some other gems to add later.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:04 PM

Since this is the psych forum, let me first start out with the 'be realistic about your own play' statement before the strategy analysis... Is this 1/2 nl?

[ QUOTE ]
Flop comes 2d-3h-3d. I raise to $5, villain (LAG)raises to $10, next player (LAG) to his left takes it to $15. Table folds to me, I call. Turn comes a 6c. I raise $5(<u>all in</u>)

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I reading correctly that you had 7+15+5= $27 at the start of this hand? You got 7 callers on a 3.5x raise ... what position were you in?

8x$7= $56 in the pot pre-flop. You have $20 left. (with QQ and that flop, I PUSH)

But you bet less than 10% of the pot value on that flop? You probably should have pushed preflop and hoped for less than 3 callers (loose table, right?). Sounds like a tourney move maybe, but when you are this short, the same concepts apply...

Did you buy in full?