Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-25-2007, 06:59 AM

Default Re: GF invites me to wake, whats my line?

[ QUOTE ]

this is kinda ridiculous. you need to break up with her. if any of my friends (let alone my gf) asked me to go to this, i would cancel my other plans without hesitation.

[/ QUOTE ]

qft.

It's not that hard a thing. You go, pay your respects, stick around for 20 minutes and then you leave. I've been to wakes of co-workers parents and siblings, and I didn't know anyone there.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:13 AM

Here's your line: "I only sleep with female corpses. So I'll take a pass on this one. But how's your Grandma doing?"
Old 11-25-2007, 07:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I guess OOT votes that I don't go and dump her huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Did you not read the replies?

OOT votes that if you're serious or want to be serious with this girl, man up and go.

The reason people are saying "dump her" is because people feel that you even asking this question means you're not serious about this girl and have zero desire to be so. Personally, I just think you don't understand how important this kind of thing is to women.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
whats my line?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
she is horrible at bluffing me

[/ QUOTE ]

OP, how solid is your read? I'm thinking you can call the flop and say you'll go if you think a semi-bluff push (offering to be a pallbearer and to make a speech) will get her to fold on the turn. Worst case, you can open-fold the river and pretend you got the flu.

[/ QUOTE ]

brilliant

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not brilliant, every shmuck does this in some thread like this, it's tired.

don't go if you don't want to, case closed. you're young, why be with a chick anyway? you'll find someone else to put out.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
She gave me 1 day notice (its tomorrow).

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 11-25-2007, 09:40 AM

She views you as her emotional support. Whether or not you see it that way doesn't matter. She isn't testing you. Life is testing you. Given the choice, are you a decent human being? Why would you add to her trauma?

It has nothing to do with your future plans for the relationship. You are in one with her now and she has a completely legit need for your support. Don't tell her what a sacrfice your making. Don't trivialize her pain. Just because they knew he was going to die doesnt mean it doesnt hurt. Just suck it up and go.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:58 AM

Default Re: GF invites me to wake, what do I do?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't matter what the excuse is, men will always look like dogs here if they don't go. It appears selfish and unsympathetic. If you are always afraid of awkward, unexpected family situations when it comes to dating, then you are likely unexperienced. Suck it up if you care. Otherwise don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said we aren't that serious. But I didn't mention she likes me alot more than I like her. I am not inexperienced at dating. How many people go to a wake not knowing a single person? I've never met these people, and I have to get up early to drive two hours to see a wake (i've actually never been to a wake or a funeral before)

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see how this may be causing some anxiety.

First of all, wakes are typically not stiff and sad like funerals. Wakes are a celebration of life. The last one I went to was when FFK's dad passed last year and it was very nice and healing. People weren't dressed in black and carrying tissues. Friends and acquaintances showed and shared touching/funny/meaningful stories about the deceased. The smile to tear ratio was very moving. IMO, this is the ideal way to embark on the mourning process.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
whats my line?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
she is horrible at bluffing me

[/ QUOTE ]

OP, how solid is your read? I'm thinking you can call the flop and say you'll go if you think a semi-bluff push (offering to be a pallbearer and to make a speech) will get her to fold on the turn. Worst case, you can open-fold the river and pretend you got the flu.

[/ QUOTE ]

brilliant

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not brilliant, every shmuck does this in some thread like this, it's tired.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your mother is tired.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Owl,

Wow, this is indeed brilliant. I never thought of using poker analogies like this in the forum before. You should do this more often in OOT. I'm sure everyone would appreciate it.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:54 AM

adsman,

You have mis-read the board.