Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 12:34 AM

Default Re: ***OFFICIAL*** New England-Buffalo Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I don't want to start a whole American vs. European sports ethics argument, but this whole concept of running up the score being unethical would be unthinkable in any European sports. It's just not thought about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to debate either, but I'm interested in hearing about this....are you saying that "running up the score" is a notion that only exists in America?

[/ QUOTE ]
It certainly doesn't exist in any sports I'm aware of in Europe. Of course, subbing key players and stalling when having a lead frequently occurs, but the concept of "running up the score" (with the implication that doing so is somehow unethical) simply doesn't exist afaik.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it exists in Basketball and that's widely played in Europe same with Hockey. I mean what European sports are there? Isn't soccer the only one widely played in a majority of countries?
Old 11-19-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I don't want to start a whole American vs. European sports ethics argument, but this whole concept of running up the score being unethical would be unthinkable in any European sports. It's just not thought about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to debate either, but I'm interested in hearing about this....are you saying that "running up the score" is a notion that only exists in America?

[/ QUOTE ]
It certainly doesn't exist in any sports I'm aware of in Europe. Of course, subbing key players and stalling when having a lead frequently occurs, but the concept of "running up the score" (with the implication that doing so is somehow unethical) simply doesn't exist afaik.

[/ QUOTE ]

When one says the concept doesn't exist, does this mean that team play aggressive when up big and it's just seen as playing the game, or it doesn't exist in the sense that teams pull off the gas pedal when obliterating the other team?

[/ QUOTE ]

People do pull off the gas peddle, but no-one gives two sh*ts if they keep on trying to score. People might say they are unwise for keeping their key-players on, but thats about it - none of this stupid 'unethical' or 'trying to humiliate the other teams' notion. I've said it before but being offended at 'running up the score' is the most unamerican thing I've ever heard of.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When one says the concept doesn't exist, does this mean that team play aggressive when up big and it's just seen as playing the game, or it doesn't exist in the sense that teams pull off the gas pedal when obliterating the other team?

[/ QUOTE ]
When I say the concept doesn't exist I mean it in the sense that there isn't thought to be something inherently unethical about obliterating another team. That's not to say that most teams in most sports won't slow down a bit and perhaps sub a few key players and stall when having a big lead, but the idea that it's unethical for them to keep on playing aggressively is unheard of.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've said it before but being offended at 'running up the score' is the most unamerican thing I've ever heard of.

[/ QUOTE ]

America's become a rather sensitive place as of late.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
People do pull off the gas peddle, but no-one gives two sh*ts if they keep on trying to score. People might say they are unwise for keeping their key-players on, but thats about it - none of this stupid 'unethical' or 'trying to humiliate the other teams' notion. I've said it before but being offended at 'running up the score' is the most unamerican thing I've ever heard of.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is so wrong. i can give you a million examples but for one go watch the youtube clips of that knicks nuggets brawl last year.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Philly at NE -17....Sigh....sign me up

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What would this line have to be before you were reluctant to load up on it?
Old 11-19-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
this is so wrong. i can give you a million examples but for one go watch the youtube clips of that knicks nuggets brawl last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when are Denver and New York in europe?
Old 11-19-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Philly at NE -17....Sigh....sign me up

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What would this line have to be before you were reluctant to load up on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-19-2007, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when are Denver and New York in europe?

[/ QUOTE ]
i got confused. i thought you were arguing about the european viewpoint on this but then you said complaining about running up the score is unamerican which would indicate american's don't do it.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've said it before but being offended at 'running up the score' is the most unamerican thing I've ever heard of.

[/ QUOTE ]

America's become a rather sensitive place as of late.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, being a little bitch is pretty American now. Belichick is probably getting sued by someone when all is said and done. Emotional damage, ruining bad gamblers' lives, etc etc.