Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Any suggestions on how I played this hand?

bet flop, flat call re raise on turn and fold river. it sounds a lot easier than it is coz i find myself going broke on stuff that i know is beat. (I wish i could just lay it down as well but always seem to talk myself into calling. big leak on my part.) But yeah checking the flop i think is suicide there are a good few hands that can outdraw you and if u think someone will bet you should bet first it may throw them off and they may even raise you. i flat call turn raise myself just because its made a few other hands. River you cant really call because the only thing you beat is a set really and that would have bet on flop and if he had queens he would have raised pre flop. theres my $0.02 hope it helps
Old 10-27-2007, 10:36 AM

i think i would've played it exactly like you if i was in the hand at the time, but looking back on it, betting the flop was probably the only thing you could've done to improve your chances of taking down the pot. but even that's not a guarantee, so it seems you played it well enough,
Old 10-27-2007, 11:54 AM

Here is a pot you should count how much you have in the pot in relation to what it will cost you. He can see that board. He can't be bluffing considering your show of strength. You got caught with what is called the Ignorant End of the straight. Happens to the best of us.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:11 PM

You slow played your monster hand. Why? It was hidden pretty well. It's not like you have an Ace and there are 2 aces on the board. You should have bet the pot here. That will get rid of decent players without a pair. What you want to catch is the guy with an overpair to the board or a set. Betting the pot keeps these guys in, gets rid of all the draws (except the idiots). You can't avoid losing a pot to a calling station here but I don't think this guy is one from your description. You let him catch up trying to be a pig. Pigs get slaughtered in this game. Don't be a pig. To a good player who moves all in here (and rarely uses that move) I'd have to consider laying down here. It's easy for me to say in hindsight. It's a semi-difficult lay down, I agree there.

I think it's much more interesting when you pose a question to not give us the outcome of the hand until it's been answered by a few players. I think it adds quite a bit to the coversation when you get to see how players think out the hand. Later you can clue us all in. ;-)
Old 10-27-2007, 06:34 PM

With several people in the pot, you can bet and tend to get at least one caller. What you're really hoping to do is to commit someone with either a "bet-min3bet, bet" line or "bet-call, check-raise" line.