Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 07:33 PM

Default All in early with QQ

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

UTG+1 (t1485)
MP1 (t2130)
Hero (t1425)
MP3 (t1330)
CO (t1570)
Button (t2315)
SB (t250)
BB (t1440)
UTG (t1745)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t450</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t870</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t1290</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1425</font>, MP1 calls t135.

Flop: (t2925) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t2925) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t2925) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t2925

MP1 had KK and wins pot with KK

Should I have called the first bet preflop and folded on flop if he bet?
Old 09-26-2007, 07:50 PM

Default Re: All in early with QQ

He's a bad player, QQ crushes his range, reraise AI preflop. Minraises like that are fairly stupid, though it doesnt make much difference because all your $ are going in anyway.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:42 PM

Awesome... i love the raise, min raise, min raise, min raise lines by both players... usually a bit unorthodox, but this should be stickied as the text book application of the pre flop min raise.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:43 PM

His monster raise PF (15xBB????) means that you should move all in the first time instead of making a sissy min-raise.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:14 PM

buy in?...just stick it in pre...you will see KK sometimes but a lot worse more often
Old 09-26-2007, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His monster raise PF (15xBB????) means that you should move all in the first time instead of making a sissy min-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]qft, what if he flat called your reraise and then shoved 77 into that AKT flop?
Old 09-26-2007, 11:50 PM

Shove It, only time I drop QQ preflop is to a UTG caller that shoves to my raise. For lower stakes
Old 09-27-2007, 11:44 AM

I've gone broke with QQ early a number of times in a similar situation. From what I've seen a bet of 10BB+ in the first 2 rounds early usually means QQ+.

Sure every now and then you'll see JJ or even something like 88 or AJ, but overall I think you're usually beat.

I think a lot of people will disagree with me here, especially if you are playing at the buyin level I suspect you are. However, I think that in general most of the really bad players you find early in these MTTs play a more passive role. They will call large raises but don't often make them.

I usually open with this type of ridiculously large 10BB+ overbet with KK or AA early because I can be pretty confident that I will get a caller. When you see someone else doing that, they probably have what they representing. Keep watching the results after someone opens for 300+ in the first 2 levels of these tournaments.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've gone broke with QQ early a number of times in a similar situation. From what I've seen a bet of 10BB+ in the first 2 rounds early usually means QQ+.

Sure every now and then you'll see JJ or even something like 88 or AJ, but overall I think you're usually beat.

I think a lot of people will disagree with me here, especially if you are playing at the buyin level I suspect you are. However, I think that in general most of the really bad players you find early in these MTTs play a more passive role. They will call large raises but don't often make them.

I usually open with this type of ridiculously large 10BB+ overbet with KK or AA early because I can be pretty confident that I will get a caller. When you see someone else doing that, they probably have what they representing. Keep watching the results after someone opens for 300+ in the first 2 levels of these tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

While your opinion is welcome, this is incorrect thinking. Opening for 10bbs with KK or AA is really bad no matter what the level. You are just giving up waaaaay to much value for your hand.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While your opinion is welcome, this is incorrect thinking. Opening for 10bbs with KK or AA is really bad no matter what the level. You are just giving up waaaaay to much value for your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

The key part is the rest of that sentence. I would never do this against competent opponents. In the opening rounds of a Stars MTT (Buyin &lt;$5) I will get someone calling at least 80% of the time, maybe more.