Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Happy Thread--Post when coach/player/reporter does something good

[ QUOTE ]
He not a kid; he's a 21 year-old quarterback at a Division I major conference school.

[/ QUOTE ]

19, 20, 21, what's the difference? Most people would agree that the player is a kid. You are in the minority. You want to personally rip someone who gets millions to play sports professionally, I think many think that even that is out of line. College kids? Why not rip the local high school QB too while we're at it, for not doing his math homework?

And I'm sorry, I don't get why his college experience might be "easier" than everyone else means that he has consented to have some columnist rip him to shreds. If you found out that the kid never missed a class and spent every waking hour in the library, would that make you change your mind? Why should it?

Serious question -- at huge programs with tremendous local interest, like Michigan, Ohio St., Wisconsin, etc., do the columnists every write scathing personal attacks on the athletes? I don't know the answer, but something tells me they don't, leading me to believe that most of society understands that there is a line with respect to how college athletes should be treated and criticized.

[ QUOTE ]
I 100% guarantee you that Gundy has said 10x worse to him to his face in practice and games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you seriously not understand the difference between the coach ripping into him at practice and someone printing an article in a newspaper?

I usually think coaches that do this stuff are buffoons, but in this case I'm with the coach.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jaworski is definitely the man.
He even makes Kornheiser sound better too imo.

I liked Gundy's lashing although it was a bit over-the-top.
But I agree that some of the criticisms of amateur college-athletes is inappropriate and I think what Gundy did may actually make some reporters think about their tone somewhat. No, I'm not kidding.

But this is supposed to be a happy thread so I'll leave it at that.
Gundy is mostly awesome.
Jaworski is 100% awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-25-2007, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Can they possibly turn up Kornheiser's mike? I always have to rewind to hear what he says, which is almost always something worth hearing.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I generally like Jaws, although I don't think I'm as far up his butt as most. But see if you can follow this reasoning: Larry Johnson doesn't have a right to bitch about the play calling as the reason he can't get any yardage... because he hasn't produced any yardage. um.... So are you saying he can only bitch when he's putting up 150 ypg?

Also I wish Jaws would just talk normal during the game, instead of doing his dramatic commentator voice thing. I think by now he's done that shtick so long he's stuck on it permanently. Must be fun around the house.

(do this with Jaws voice in your head)
"I'd better... see that room cleaned up... or you are grounded... ... ... for a week. I'm Ron Jaworski, and I'm your father."
Old 09-25-2007, 04:58 PM

Jaws is pretty much the best analyst out there, so even with his flaws, I'm so glad he's on MNF. Especially considering who he replaced.

Also, it's a real pleasure to watch Tom Brady and Peyton Manning play football (even when they are beating up my Texans).
Old 09-25-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I liked Gundy's lashing although it was a bit over-the-top.
But I agree that some of the criticisms of amateur college-athletes is inappropriate and I think what Gundy did may actually make some reporters think about their tone somewhat. No, I'm not kidding.

The link to the article isn't working for me though.

Also, I assume from the name that the reporter is a female and one can't help but wonder if Gundy has some sort of issue not just with reporters making some stuff up but specifically with females doing the same thing.

But this is supposed to be a happy thread so I'll leave it at that.
Gundy is mostly awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't notice the intended tenor of the thread, therefore, I would like to state that I am very happy I am not elated to Mike Gundy, and he makes me feel very good about myself.

Also, I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Kornheiser, although he's not as good on MNF as PTI, where he rules.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He not a kid; he's a 21 year-old quarterback at a Division I major conference school.

[/ QUOTE ]

19, 20, 21, what's the difference? Most people would agree that the player is a kid. You are in the minority. You want to personally rip someone who gets millions to play sports professionally, I think many think that even that is out of line. College kids? Why not rip the local high school QB too while we're at it, for not doing his math homework?

And I'm sorry, I don't get why his college experience might be "easier" than everyone else means that he has consented to have some columnist rip him to shreds. If you found out that the kid never missed a class and spent every waking hour in the library, would that make you change your mind? Why should it?

Serious question -- at huge programs with tremendous local interest, like Michigan, Ohio St., Wisconsin, etc., do the columnists every write scathing personal attacks on the athletes? I don't know the answer, but something tells me they don't, leading me to believe that most of society understands that there is a line with respect to how college athletes should be treated and criticized.

[ QUOTE ]
I 100% guarantee you that Gundy has said 10x worse to him to his face in practice and games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you seriously not understand the difference between the coach ripping into him at practice and someone printing an article in a newspaper?

I usually think coaches that do this stuff are buffoons, but in this case I'm with the coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference is he IS 21, not 19 or 20, and the only thing he is not allowed to do at that age than any other adult is get the best possible rate on car insurance. He can drink, he can drive, and if he does both at once, he can be arrested, and guess what he gets charged as? AN ADULT! If you think 21 is a kid, I'm guessing you're either not 21 yet, or 21 is SO long ago for you it seems like you were just a kid back then. You wanna call an 18- year old a kid, fine, that's reasonable, but calling a 21 y/o a kid is insulting to him, and to common understanding of adult hood. What is an adult to you, 25? Maybe these "Kids" of 21 shouldn;t be allowed to drink or be old enough by 3 years to join the military, huh?

The columnist didn't "rip him to shreds". And it wasn't close to a "scathing personal attack". She just wanted to find out why the QB that was called the most talented on the team was not starting, when it was insinuated that he would be previously. She found out why, the coach didn't deny it.

As far as what I understand, it seems pretty obvious to me I'm not the one with gaps in understanding. You and the coach are in an exceptionally decided minority.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:43 PM

Moss is gonna get a SB and be a 1st ballot HoF'er when he chooses to retire.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Moss is gonna get a SB and be a 1st ballot HoF'er when he chooses to retire.

[/ QUOTE ]
Word. Just wish it was with the Vikings.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:45 PM

After the RAH RAH GO GET EM COACH reaction that a lot of meatheads initially had to the Gundy story, I'm glad to see that people are coming around to the fact that he was completely wrong, and also an idiot if he thought he was going to deflect attention from his poor little mamma's boy quarterback.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:00 PM

It's hard for me to form a strong opinion on this without knowing this woman's credibility prior to this.

Does she actually have access to inside info w/ a proven track record of being correct? If so the coach is probably an idiot & needs to address internal issues with his staff leaking information.

But the article does read a lot like a tabloid. Half the sentences begin with "Rumor has it", "If you believe the rumblings", "Word on the street"...meh. The Mom/chicken angle I thought was unreal. Don't most normal kids get over the "embarrased to be around your parents" thing shortly after Junior High?

In the end they're probably both idiots.