Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 05:17 AM

Default $11 NLTRN - 20BB with OESD/FD and an over

I'd been in control the whole match, then he sucked out and suddenly is up 2:1 in chips.

Poker Stars, $11 + $0.50 NL Hold'em Tournament, 25/50 Blinds, 2 Players

BB: 1,980
Hero (SB): 1,020

Pre-Flop: (75) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
Hero calls 25
BB checks

Flop: (100) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets 100</font>
Hero calls 100

Turn: (300) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets 100</font>
Hero calls 100

River: (500) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets 150</font>
Hero folds

I think most of the problems in this hand come from not raising preflop. But given a 10:1 SPR (stack to pot ratio) on the flop with position, how do you play this hand postflop?

I think I should have raised the flop, but wasn't sure because he had shown that he was virtuosic at calling down light.

Ugh, this hand still tastes gross.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:39 AM

Default Re: $11 NLTRN - 20BB with OESD/FD and an over

I like pushing here. If he's calling down light, he probably won't fold a hand like T6o here, and you're a pretty big favorite.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:45 AM

Raise preflop and push the flop. Even now when you limped preflop, you should get it in on the flop. I like pushing for a big overraise. The beauty of it is that villain puts you on a draw, calls you with middle pair and he is taking the worst of it.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:29 AM

Ugh, it seems so damn obvious now.

I'm hitting myself with the 'duh' hammer here.

This is what happens when I get tilty. I revert to crappy crappy pre-thinking-about-poker poker.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:34 PM

I would raise PF here, but I agree doing so can put you in many tough spots on the flop, so I hope someone has written their thoughts about this already for me to read when I have finished this reply ^^

On the flop:
I most certainly raise this all the time. I guess I would raise to like 300 and shove basicly any turn. That is the first thing that stroke my mind when watching the hand. Any comments on that play would be nice.

On the turn:
As played I call this turn.

On the river:
The bet is tiny but we have nothing so I think that is a clear fold aswell.

*edit*
After reading the replies I like the shove on the flop a lot more. I guess I thought I would get more value out of it if I first shoved the turn, but there is probably more value in shoving the flop I think
*edit*
Old 11-18-2007, 01:23 PM

PNL is loved by all the losing small stake players and shunned by all the medium and high stakes winning players.

Also, the concepts in that book are tailored to full ring, not heads up. That SPR is about pot committing, not pushing post flop equities. Here you have a huge Post Flop equity. In a full ring game, this would be a clear fold.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:21 PM

daveT WTF book is PNL?

Well I have to agree with Kallendrengen about raising to 300 or something and pushing any turn. That's because your equity will be enough to shove a turn brick, + u can suck him in with a wider range.

I made some pokerstove and I got equity 32% against 2 pair on a turn brick, being 40% against one pair hands. Plus he'll almost always 3bet allin if he has 2pair or better so doesn't make sense to scare his 1pair hands on the flop with a shove.

Some points against that are that he may be on a draw himself and fold the turn. Again I think he'll 3bet allin with a OESD or better. Another con of this move is that ur draw rocks babe and I agree if a diamond hits you may lost the customer...

Thats pretty opponent dependent, since you said he's virtuose callingstation.. idk...