Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 05:11 PM

Default Random stuff from my deadlifting session this morning...

goal - 3 sets of 10 @ 250lb - 4 min rest between sets

warm up sets
10 @ 45 RDL style
8 @ 95 RDL style
5 @ 135
5 @ 185
2 @ 225
Work Sets
10 @ 250
10 @ 250 (form deteriorating and time between reps increasing too much, becoming like a rest/pause set)
10 @ 225

------------musings and questions------------
most noticed that these are high rep sets of deadlifts, pretty uncommon i think

i do my high rep dl's basically as quick singles
so i pull, lower the weight in control, release the bar, stand up, wait for the weight to stop moving, reset, pull, repeat...how do you all do higher reps sets of dls?

i pull double overhand on all my reps (at least at this weight), with knees about should width, hands about an inch or two past the knurling(?)...on every rep i scrape the inside of my forearms on my pants and its tearing the hell out of my arms, this sucks...is it a form thing or something inherent to the lift? i normally wear to the gym whatever i wore the previous day to work, usually cargo pants or shorts, but i noticed this happens no matter what kind of pants im wearing, cargos or sweats, haven't tried basketball type gym shorts yet...any suggestions of pants to wear when pulling?

i have heard a lot about people scraping their shins on the way up, i do the exact opposite...i scrape right above my knee/bottom of quad and sometimes my shins when i lower the weight, its leaving me small scars/cuts and it sucks...any way to avoid this?

i should also note that im pretty short, about 5'7" so i have to get really low to reach the bar, even with 45s...sometimes i feel like im squatting the weight up and can actually feel it a bit in my quads, i am close to parallel, slightly above in order to reach the bar...

i feel deads in my lower back much moreso than in my hammies/glutes even though i make sure to stay back, common?

i know vids would obv help, but i don't have a cell camera so at the moment i can't get them...any ideas/comments or perhaps your random gym musings appreciated...thanks...
Old 08-01-2007, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Random stuff from my deadlifting session this morning...

hmm, what about gloves? do you all wear gloves when you train?

i almost never do, but im noticing small cuts along the bottom joints of my fingers that aren't healing cuz by the time they start to close i work out again and re-tear them...
Old 08-01-2007, 10:09 PM

I'm mostly self trained, or many years from having been trained, so fwiw, in order:

1. When warming up I always properly deload. In my workout, depending on why I'm going light, I might touch and go. Sue me. It's not a bounce.

2. (forearm) I brush. Not a scrape.

3. (shin, thigh) I've scraped all parts in all directions. But, thigh contact is more often a bump and unremarkable. Shin contact is more often a scrape, and a shin scrape (or a bump) is unfun.

4. I don't really feel them anywhere when I do them heavy. It's just kind of a general all body strain that leaves me kind of numb and useless-- I can't really describe it. Now, the day after I may feel it in my lower back a little bit or in my hamstrings...

5. I don't, but if I had cuts specifically from deads I might try an alternate grip for everything.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:19 PM

if your doing high rep deads do not set the weight down, just let the plates hit the ground, dont let it bounce, but keep everything tensed up. Its counter-productive to set it, standup, etc, when doing high reps

how are you scarping your forearms? mine arent really near my legs. I do rip the [censored] out of my shins, I literally drag the bar up my shins

I get sore in my shoulders, and a deep nice sore all over my back.

alternate grips hinder your grip strength, so keep both palms facing int he same direction to build up your grip, if you are pulling in a competition, or going for a 1RM, than Id do an alternate grip
Old 08-01-2007, 10:25 PM

"if your doing high rep deads do not set the weight down, just let the plates hit the ground, dont let it bounce, but keep everything tensed up. Its counter-productive to set it, standup, etc, when doing high reps"

can you go further into this? ive read to do reps both ways, touch and go and standing between each...i've always chosen to stand between cuz i can use a higher weight obv...

im scraping my forearms along my pants, how far outside of your legs is your grip? do you stand w/ legs closer than shoulder width?

heh, for a while i tried putting my knee sleeves over my shins, that helped a bit [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2007, 10:28 PM

If I was doing 8 or more reps. I'd likely touch and go. The deadlift is poorly suited to high rep sets.

I grip the bar right outside my knees, I don't really rip anything until I get all the way up.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:32 PM

thirddan, i put my feet around 8 inches apart at my heels - so very close together. Give it a shot, should help your forearm scraping issues.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"if your doing high rep deads do not set the weight down, just let the plates hit the ground, dont let it bounce, but keep everything tensed up. Its counter-productive to set it, standup, etc, when doing high reps"

can you go further into this? ive read to do reps both ways, touch and go and standing between each...i've always chosen to stand between cuz i can use a higher weight obv...

im scraping my forearms along my pants, how far outside of your legs is your grip? do you stand w/ legs closer than shoulder width?

heh, for a while i tried putting my knee sleeves over my shins, that helped a bit [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, what is the reasoning behind doing such high reps? I think thatd be my first question, 99% of the time the answer should be to lose weight, as doing such high reps in teh dead lift doesnt really accomplish much other than that. Taking a rest like that is counter productive

I stand with my feet a little closer than shoulder width, my forearms face behind me, and the only the side of my arm touches my legs, but not enough to cause any pain, Id say there is about 3 inches of gap between my hips and my arms.

as far as gloves- youll get callouses soon.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:23 PM

Few things to add:

1. My hands are completely torn up from dead lifting. I guess the bars I have suck and It has actually torn through the callouses.

2. Your form sounds odd and I would want to see a picture of it. Personally my grip is wider than my body and so I have a hard time envisioning how you would hit your arms. Maybe you arent getting your back right prior to your lift?

3. If you are going for high reps, do stiff legged or Romanian dead lift. Those are generally lighter and allow you to never set the weight down. When doing straight dead lift, 5-6 reps is probably teh max you should do.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:39 PM

How in the world do you scrape the inside of your forearms?