Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2006, 11:18 PM

Default Re: statism day one

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pssst. He doesn't know that most murders, rapes, robberies, and burglaries go unsolved.

[/ QUOTE ]
Unsolved? From a statist position does this mean that they are non-existent or simply inelligible?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's simply a matter of the police needing more resources because they are chronically underfunded.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:23 AM

forkoverthefuckingmoneybitch.com does not exist.

Police are funded to the degree the people who fund them feel they can provide security -- any funding beyond that point leads to intrusion and oppression.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
forkoverthefuckingmoneybitch.com does not exist.

Police are funded to the degree the people who fund them feel they can provide security -- any funding beyond that point leads to intrusion and oppression.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say that underfunding is necessarily the problem, but the misallocation of resources toward non-aggressive crimes certainly is.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:57 PM

The purpose of the police is purportedly to provide security. If the people believe this, they are tricked into personally spending less on their own security. This incentivises criminal activity, and crime will go up. The police can never have enough resources to take responsibility for all the people that have been tricked into behaving irresponsibly. Hence crime will inevitably rise, the police do not have enough resources, and claim that they are "chronically underfunded." Taxes are raised, the people feel even more like it's the government's job to protect them, since they are paying so much for the "service," and they spend even less on their own security. Crime is incentivised even more, and the cycle continues. It is not a coincidence that crime is highest where government spends the most on the police, but the direction of causation is not the way most people think it is. Politicians exacerbate the problems by passing laws to make it illegal for individuals to spend on and act in their own defense at all, for example gun bans.

The same effect is seen in other areas where people are tricked into believing that they are not responsible for some individual personal responsibility and the government is. Education is probably the best example.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The police can never have enough resources to take responsibility for all the people that have been tricked into behaving irresponsibly. Hence crime will inevitably rise, the police do not have enough resources, and claim that they are "chronically underfunded."

[/ QUOTE ]
It's really just simple economics. Consider burglary -- the police simply show up to take a statement for you to submit to your insurance company. They may take a few prints, and pictures -- they may even spend a few minutes trying to solve the crime -- but that's not their main function. If they do catch a thief, it's as much a surprise to them as anyone else.

As a community, we collectively know that it's cheaper to purchase insurance than to purchase enough police power to create a deterrent. The cost of our insurance is what we pay as our share of the "acceptable loss" from theft. We don't have as a community any corresponding "acceptable loss" of life, or tolerance for violence -- so that's where we focus police activity.

I find it amazing that we all tolerate theft and loss of property -- yet have zero tolerance for drugs, prostitution, etc. Sometimes our priorities are really screwed up.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it amazing that we all tolerate theft and loss of property -- yet have zero tolerance for drugs, prostitution, etc. Sometimes our priorities are really screwed up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it ridiculous that we live in such a pussified society that we still don't lynch Law Enforcement "professionals" who have the gall to tell people not to resist during a hold-up and tell women fighting a rapist may get them killed.

I've been held up once, I performed a citizens arrest, and purposely held the barrel of my .45 on the back of that bastard's neck until the cops showed up.

Watching him cry was my greatest reward. While prison is not a deterrant, I feel fairly certain that teenage punk will never attempt another robbery after he is released, and that I will have helped turn him into a productive member of society.

Law Enforcement isn't underfunded, they're overstaffed. That's part of the taxation problem in America. The police are not your private security force. The job of a police officer is actually quite simple. He/she is to accept calls when a crime has been committed, and document it in legal fashion, suitable for court use. That is literally all a cop is supposed to do. If they want to come work your burglary call two days later, like a plumber, I personally have no problem with that, as I am equipped to deal with an invader in my home without the assistance of a heavily armed court reporter. I'm not quite sure when we as Americans started hiring thousands and thousands of cops to handle barking dog calls and [censored], but it needs to stop. Do you know who's sole responsibility your security is? Yours. Handle it anyway you see fit.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:10 AM

we've all come a long way in a year and a half huh? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2007, 07:00 AM

You go to sleep a free man in a somewhat organized society. When you wake up, you discover that the entire government bureaucracy has disappeared overnight. You neighbors or others have sent a bulldozer over to level your house in order to make way for a new facility they feel they need to maximize the return of their property. When you object, the neighbors and the posse they can afford to pay and arm reminds you that you've tacitly consented to this treatment by virtue of your presence, and then shoot you in the head.

Now what?
Old 09-23-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SO since the police provide virtually no security, we should be giving them virtually no money ?? sounds perfect to me when do we start ?
Old 09-23-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You go to sleep a free man in a somewhat organized society. When you wake up, you discover that the entire government bureaucracy has disappeared overnight. You neighbors or others have sent a bulldozer over to level your house in order to make way for a new facility they feel they need to maximize the return of their property. When you object, the neighbors and the posse they can afford to pay and arm reminds you that you've tacitly consented to this treatment by virtue of your presence, and then shoot you in the head.

Now what?

[/ QUOTE ]
Quoted for bad understanding of ACism.