Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 01:53 AM

Default Official review thread, Tackleberry

Here's a HH by tackleberry of a PL tournament. You guys know what to do and here's the link:

http://www.pokerxfactor.com/HA80946/P1/16428
Old 10-23-2007, 02:28 AM

Default Re: Official review thread, Tackleberry

You on a PL kick Bond?
Old 10-23-2007, 03:29 AM

18: not crazy about the OOP call with A2s
31: minraise open from the small blind is ugly, pot it please
35: UTG limp with A8o is meh, QJo in 47 is a little better, but I don't care for either
49: I'd like to hear your thoughts here, turn bet looks like a bluff, river CRAI obviously is, what was your read?
51: This is just odd, a raise with more FE would be nice, then you just quit with the Js
101: 30 BB stack and open limp A3 from UTG, this is just not good
147: There have been several, but in general you play your draws too passively for my tastes.
153: I'd fire again on the turn, you absolutely have to fire on the river.
156: I'd check here and try to coax a bet out of him later, you are really strong, and he's short.
229: Don't like the OOP call with Q9o after the shove and call, just fold.
234: You have a read to fold AJ here to the CO raise?
302: Not crazy about your line.
...there's like some hands missing, you lost like 40% of your chips lol...
330: I'd fold to the flop raise, but whatever. More importantly, when you fold on the turn here, you had 11 BBs left. The next hand that you play is 350, where you double out of the BB, but you start that hand with less than 4 BBs. You cannot blind down from 11 to 4 BBs without playing a hand, that's really bad. Take a chance and go for the win.
358: You have to bet this flop.
360: 3bet here with AK
378: I may 3bet here with 77, and I'd check the turn I think, he looks like he has nothing but maybe he'll bluff the river or hit a spade or something.
386: Not a fan of this call

Not bad, in general I thought you were just generally too passive both preflop and postflop. Also, rather than just hammering the 1/2 pot button postflop vary your bet sizes to suit your needs. I don't necessarily mean telegraphing your hand, but certain boards require pot sized bets, etc. Be especially careful of limping stuff like A3, it's really dangerous. Congrats on the good finish, and make it all the way next time!
Old 10-23-2007, 05:12 AM

I'm not a member of PokerXFactor but is there anyway in which I can still view this hand history?
Old 10-23-2007, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a member of PokerXFactor but is there anyway in which I can still view this hand history?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can make a free account to view the HHs with.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:32 PM

In general, play is SSMTT or donk style, with flat calling raises with shallow money, open limping, small reraises with big pairs, and leading into the raiser with marginal hands. These plays are generally worse than standard pro/HSMTT plays, but not much worse. Low stakes and high stakes players tend to copy each other and make “standard” plays that may or may not be optimal.

In general, hero plays to much to survive, which is good in SNGs but not MTTs and not aggressively enough.

74. Maybe flat call or larger reraise is better with aces.

75. I would limp behind with deuces.

104. I would raise the action flop.

127. I would reraise preflop. I would checkraise pot on this flop.

129. I wouldn’t open fold the suited connector in CO.

131. I would bet the flop with a flush draw.

146. Maybe fold ireflop based on bet size tell.

153. Reraise preflop. Bet the turn.

176. I would limp behind, but a lot of HSMTT players play it as you did.

182. I usually reraise pot preflop.

193. Tend repot preflop, but not sure about villain’s large raise. HSMTT players would push or fold preflop. Not crazy about donk/fold line.

199. I would fold 76o to button miniraise.

211. Not crazy about donking the flop.

234. I would push preflop or stop and go.

241. With these stack sizes, I would raise/call.

247. I repot preflop.

256. Maybe fold preflop due to bet size tell.

318. Standard to cbet the ace high flop with a flush draw.

330. Maybe check behind on the flop with 2nd pair. Turn fold is close.

335. I would pot it at the limper. You don’t have much FE, but you are probably ahead of the limper’s range.

342. Have to push Q8s on the button with 6xBB. Awful fold.

344. Pot it.

346. It’s painful but you are so short stacked, I would open push 63o from the SB.

360. Flat call preflop with AK is awful.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:05 PM

Just a few:

Hand 49 is quizzical. I'm not sure if the turn is "obviously" a bluff. My mouth dropped when you CRAIed the river. Isn't this more of a bluff catcher against a missed straight than a bluff? If I have A10/K10/Q10, basically even a ten, I'm value betting the river and would be HARD pressed to fold gien the action. A8 is only hand you are bluffing against here, IMO.

Hand 74: MINRAISE, DIE.

Hand 75: You are deep more than 35bb deep against an open limper UTG, mandatory limp.

Hand 104: Good limp with K10 on button; if LesplayPaul is playing bad and I feel like my image is good, I probably take advantage here with a raise on the button. You have to raise this on the flop for but a handful of reasons (like, the flop texture, for one thing and position for another).

127: I would RR preflop if I know my opponent has the disposition to raise the button. Otherwise, flat calling is OK with these stacks. I think that CR on this flop is sexpert, but I don't have the balls to do it at these stacks. Admittedly, in a tournament the other week against a LAG middle stages I played JA this way (like 30bb deep), and now I hate myself for it. I do however think reads factor into that play as well.

In general, your flop play is a little too trappy and your preflop play needs a lot more aggression, as Betgo stated. You tend to flat call a lot of flops in position where raising could have gotten more $$ in a few times. The AK hand at the end is most clear - by calling, you give your opponent an opportunity to decide what to do on another street. CRing here would look more like a "play" given your stack and blinds. Also, that AK call at the end, as Betgo pointed out, was "awful."

Having a 27K stack means you have to weave your sword with pocket pairs, especially 6 handed. You didn't in a few spots.

Congratulations on your score.

Barry
Old 10-23-2007, 03:18 PM

Dunkman, thanks for your answers!

To your comments:

18: I was in the BB and had to call 50 for a pot of 150. With a suited A I thought that I might get the implied odds.
31: you´re completely right, I hate minraises, don´t know any more what I did there [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
49: Villain had a WTSD-Rate of 16%, I was sure, that I could steal the pot here if I show strength
51: you´re right, my thinking was that smaller (than avg. raises) before usually either collected the blinds or reduced the field to one opponent, here I got two and was not keen on following on with just my marginal flush draw
153: with the turn I agree - dunno what rode me to check, on the river however I was afraid of the Q - what hand should have called me which I had beaten there?
156: this is a general question, I don´t like to check in position, having the initiative because it telegraphs my strength; if he thinks I make a blatant c-bet instead I even might get a raise from him
229: why? I understand the intention, but I get odds of 4.5:1, have the prolly chance that the hand is checked down and I know that I won´t lose a big pot - because I had to hit the flop very hard if I proceeded.
234: dunno anymore, but I don´t like AJo OOP in general; I either win small (when an A flops and Villain has no A) or I am destined to lose big if an A flops and Villain has AQ/AK. I mostly fold AJo to any raise, when being OOP, even in the BB. Maybe a leak of me.
302: why not? I was sure to stack him if I hit my straight, especially if it was not the diamond card.
... I already searched for the hands but they´re gone [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I had no problem with showing how I lost my stack - if I still knew it - lol
330: interesting, you folded the flop? I thought, getting 5:1 and maybe him having the J with a weaker kicker (as we were HU) would be enough to call ...
350: you´re right in complaining about my drown from 11BB to 4BB without playing a hand, its some time ago so I just can speculate that we were on the bubble and I was overly keen to not bust on the bubble; sometimes (!) a leak of mine, which I have to admit
358: you´re perfectly right
360: with AK having position I am in no need to end the hand preflop, so why not evaluating the flop? the only threat was one of the blinds to join in - maybe I was somehow sure that this wouldn´t happen ... dunno anymore
378: agree
386: me neither [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

By all means, thank you very much for your effort and the precise analysis, this helps me very much (however I am not able to reconstruct many of the hands myself anymore ...).
Old 10-23-2007, 03:49 PM

betgo, thanks to you as well for your precise and expert comments. With most points I agree - with the annotations (to some hands) I already made on dunkmans post.

However I don´t understand (because of my lacking english knowledge [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) the sense of your first paragraph ...?

234: Ok, this line made sense here.
241: Raise/call means raise and even call a shove?
342: Agree.
346: I thought about it - but had not the balls to do this [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Barry, thanks as well for your habitual helpful analysis!

49: I already mentioned my thoughts - but I laughed when I imagined your reaction [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
74: Be sure, I died - when watching this again. Normally I <u>never</u> minraise and even had to check if I really did it after dunkman mentioned it ... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
75: You´re right - as well as Betgo - however 22 is my horror hand ... but certainly with this stacks it was a bad fold.
104: I agree - again.

Summarized, your comment that I was too weak preflop and too trappy postflop is exactly what I suspected of myself. It is good to get this feedback in whole, as single hands don´t make it obvious enough.

So - thanks to you all again for your effort!! I hope to get another HH up soon to check if your advices improved my game! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2007, 05:04 PM

Barry, thanks as well for your habitual helpful analysis!

49: I already mentioned my thoughts - but I laughed when I imagined your reaction.

Interesting. Anyone else feel that that's a good reason to shove K8 here. I mean, doesn't that 16% mean that he calls down light a lot? Doesn't that mean he's liable to call with any 10? And that his hand here is almost always a bluff and he's not leading with anything worse? I would love this play with A10 and think it's sweet with K10 for value given his rate. still not sure, but please don't think I'm being obstinate here - I'm trying to learn based on what you said.

Barry