Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 12:36 PM

Default mandatory mental health evaluation for gun-rights supporters

http://www.news.com/8301-13578_3-9795510-38.html

Send an email supporting gun rights? Off to the gulag!

[ QUOTE ]
A Minnesota university has suspended one of its graduate students who sent two e-mail messages to school officials supporting gun rights.

Hamline University also said that master's student Troy Scheffler, who owns a firearm, would be barred from campus and must receive a mandatory "mental health evaluation" after he sent an e-mail message arguing that law-abiding students should be able to carry firearms on campus for self-defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="white"> (now cue phil, dvaut, etc chanting "ZOMG MISLEADING TITLE") </font>

In the school's defense, the student is probably a racist and has somewhat questionable grammar.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:06 PM

Default Re: mandatory mental health evaluation for gun-rights supporters

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.news.com/8301-13578_3-9795510-38.html

Send an email supporting gun rights? Off to the gulag!

[ QUOTE ]
A Minnesota university has suspended one of its graduate students who sent two e-mail messages to school officials supporting gun rights.

Hamline University also said that master's student Troy Scheffler, who owns a firearm, would be barred from campus and must receive a mandatory "mental health evaluation" after he sent an e-mail message arguing that law-abiding students should be able to carry firearms on campus for self-defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="white"> (now cue phil, dvaut, etc chanting "ZOMG MISLEADING TITLE") </font>

In the school's defense, the student is probably a racist and has somewhat questionable grammar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a surprise this is a misleading title. It may be true, but the article is unclear. He was suspended but the university cannot say what it was for due to privacy laws. Wouldn't surprise me if it went either way, but there is unfortunately not enough evidence to be sure either way.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:46 PM

As a bad speller, I fear a slippery slope.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a bad speller, I fear a slippery slope.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you are going to explain to someone why should be allowed to bear arms on campus, I think we can all agree that room for ambiguity is a bad thing.

Not a reflection on the OP really, but a reflection on that would be that I think unis are a little jumpy these days. If they get some kind of incident where it is dug up that they had any kind of 'hint' (with hindsight added ofcourse), a lot of people's careers are toast.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:16 PM

They're not sending him to the Gulag. You and other ACists are very quick to use words without much care to their meaning. Do you know what the Gulag was? Suspending a student or getting a student a mental health evaluation is not the Gulag.

Further, this kid needs a mental health evaluation and should have been suspended. Consider:

"there may be people on the edge ready to snap. I cant say I blame them, I myself am tired of having to pay my own extremely overpriced tuition to make up for minorities not paying theirs. On top of that, I am sick of seeing them held to a different standard than the white students (Of course its a lower and more lenient standard)."

This is a kid who "can't blame" other people on the edge who might snap. He insinuates that he is one of them, as he follows that comment with "I myself . . ." And then he follows that with "On top of that . . ."; in other words, he is beyond ready to snap. He is a racist with guns ready to snap.

His second email confirms this:

"I was wondering why a swastika painted by some frustrated ladies in their bathroom turned somehow into red flags of a hate crime"

Somehow? This kid needs to be kicked out of the university: "More people than you can imagine are tired of this all. It’s just sad that they resort to petty vandalism rather than speak their mind like I am."

Note I said kicked out of the university. Not sent to the Gulag.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:45 PM

I think it should also be pointed out that this is a private university.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:48 PM

r u kidding there's a bill in congress to do this for every american. most veterans will be disallowed guns, or at least a good portion of them, if they've ever had PTSD or collapsed in combat or something.

what, you think habeus corpus gets wiped out and they let you keep your guns?
Old 10-11-2007, 05:49 PM

Meh. Surely you agree that a private institution should be able to do whatever the hell they want, and if they want to make the mistake of requiring a student to take a mental health exam for no good reason, then they will suffer their own consequences.

I agree this is probably a ridiculous decision by the school though. But, I don't think there's much more to it than that, and the evidence that our society has grown irrationally fearful of guns.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:53 PM

I don't think this had anything to do with guns folks. It has to do with the kid appearing deranged.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:07 PM

Speaking of deranged:

A clip from http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/11/student.arsenal.ap/index.html:

PLYMOUTH MEETING, Pennsylvania (AP) -- A home-schooled teenager who felt bullied amassed a cache of guns, knives and hand grenades and tried to recruit another boy for a possible school attack, authorities said Thursday.

The 14-year-old was taken into custody after police searched his bedroom in a Philadelphia suburb on Wednesday evening. He had talked about mounting a Columbine-type attack at Plymouth Whitemarsh High School, authorities said.

The weapons included a 9mm assault rifle that the teenager's mother had recently bought for him, Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce L. Castor Jr. said. Prosecutors are reviewing her actions.

---------------------------------------------

HIS MOTHER BOUGHT HIM A 9 MM ASSAULT RIFLE??!??!?!??