Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: yes, but how much have you lost playing poker during your lifetime?
Less than 50k 16 32.65%
50 - 100k 1 2.04%
100 - 200k 2 4.08%
200 - 300k 0 0%
300 -500k 0 0%
500k - 1mm 3 6.12%
1mm-2mm 0 0%
2mm-3mm 0 0%
3mm-4mm 0 0%
4mm+ 27 55.10%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Re: For moral relativists

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You seem to be saying that people shouldn't do what they think they should do, and instead do what you think they should do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing dumb removed.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a serious question. What do you think I think people should do?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would really love a place where everyone did what i think they should do, how can i have that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Non Sequitur personal threat removed

[/ QUOTE ]Why shouldn't people do what they feel they should do, and instead to what PVN feels is morally correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

You said people should do what you think they should do. But in saying that, you should consider the possibility of a world where people "should" do what someone else wants them to do. That possibility includes someone who wants people to hit you in the head with a shovel. Don't try to weasel out of this by playing the "OH NOES PERSONAL ATTACKS" card. Why is "what you think they should do" the correct view of what people "should" do?
Old 08-30-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is totally moving goal posts. I don't have to move into an existing barber shop to compete with an established barber.

[/ QUOTE ] What are you talking about? You said your barber does not use force to maintain territorial monopoly. The way I understand that term that is exactly what he does. Maybe I misunderstand what territorial monopoly means, though?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I live at location X, I am not restricted to Barber X. If I want to use Barber Y instead of Barber X, I do not have to move from Barber X's turf and into Barber Y's turf.

[ QUOTE ]
Ok. So you want whoever owns the land to have the power that government has now. That might be better or worse or the same, but do you really think that it is the only way to have a "consistant moral system"? That is really ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, I'm open to other possibilities.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You seem to be saying that people shouldn't do what they think they should do, and instead do what you think they should do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing dumb removed.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a serious question. What do you think I think people should do?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would really love a place where everyone did what i think they should do, how can i have that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Non Sequitur personal threat removed

[/ QUOTE ]Why shouldn't people do what they feel they should do, and instead to what PVN feels is morally correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

You said people should do what you think they should do. But in saying that, you should consider the possibility of a world where people "should" do what someone else wants them to do. That possibility includes someone who wants people to hit you in the head with a shovel. Don't try to weasel out of this by playing the "OH NOES PERSONAL ATTACKS" card. Why is "what you think they should do" the correct view of what people "should" do?