Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 01:15 AM

Default How often do you get burnt out from playing? Ways to stop it?

What's your limit and is there anything that some of you do to keep your mind focused ? I can play for probably a week - 10 days about 2 to 2 1/2 hrs a day before I need about the same amount of time for a break. I see all these people constantly playing 8 hrs a day 6 days a week and I'm wondering do you just deep down love the game, love the constant action, or are you just a miserable bastard who doesn't wanna get a job? :P. I would like to play double the amount I do and just wonder if anyone has some suggestions or is this pretty much just the type of person you are, a gambler/action freak? Is there different types of food you eat ? About 16 months ago I gave up red meat and started eating extremely healthy and feel this has made a bit of a difference but I'm still not playing as much as I should be.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:03 AM

Default Re: How often do you get burnt out from playing? Ways to stop it?

[ QUOTE ]
I would like to play double the amount I do and just wonder if anyone has some suggestions

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming that you're talking about B&M play. Depending on where you're at I would suggest changing your venue frequently. When I play live I get sick of being in the same place w/ basically the same players, luckily I'm in CA so there are alot of clubs to choose from. Also take breaks, I mean manditory time away from the game, a few days, a week every so often whatever. Make sure you have a life outside of playing poker.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:01 AM

I'm talking pretty much exclusively online.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:11 AM

Take small breaks each hour or two (5-10 minutes). Even if you feel like you don't need to, your eyes will thank you.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:40 PM

If you work 8 hrs, take 1 hr to eat dinner, 2.5 hrs to play poker. 1 hr round trip to work. That's 12.5 hrs of your day gone. Leaves 4.5 hrs if you want 7 hrs sleep, and that's what you've got left out of your day.

You want to stay on top of your game. So, you review your sessions, post some hands on the appropriate forum, as well as spend time reviewing other posts and suddenly your life is work, sleep, poker, eat, do the dishes and wash some clothes.

That would be my guess as to why Stoxtrader and his buddy wrote a book...........in the hopes that they could retire. Why else give out their secrets, much less spend the time to write the damn thing when they could be makin a 100k a year clickin a mouse....so they say.

Why do you think Lederer is teaching the game instead of playing? Why did Sklansky write his first book, giving it all away. He envisioned what he has today: A much easier life than grinding it out on the felt.

Maybe it is true that those who can, do; and those who can't teach.......but I don't think so. I think grinding it out on the computer, clickin a mouse, all alone, is more boring than working on an assembly line. At least you have some interpersonal contact on the assembly line.