Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2006, 10:33 PM

Default FIFA Trying Hard to Ruin the Atmosphere at the World Cup Games...

FIFA makes Dutch fans strip to their boxers cos of sponsorship concerns

Just thought this was kinda funny and retarded ...they made dutch fasn remove lederhosen before a game cos it had a badge from a non-world cup sponsor; ie they didn't want Budweiser to get upset.

Talk about alienating fans who are trying to have fun....

[ QUOTE ]
"I watched the game in my pants," Mr Schreurs, 33, added. "Fortunately I had quite a long T-shirt."

Mr Swinkels [of the dutch brew co. who made the lederhosen] dreamed up the idea of orange Leeuwenhose, or lion trousers, last year. Dutch fans who purchased 12 cans of Bavaria beer could buy the trousers for just €7.95 (they come with the tail of a lion, Holland's national symbol, and two extra large pockets for storing beer cans).

Holland's biggest brewery, Heineken, the official sponsor of the Dutch football association, didn't like the trousers either. It took legal action against Bavaria but lost - after a Dutch judge ruled that fans could wear whatever they wanted.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with the judge.

Further down the article there are other examples of corporate naziisms at sporting - and other - events.

[ QUOTE ]
In March 1998 Greenbriar high school in Evans, Georgia, US, sponsored a Coke In Education Day, with the whole curriculum built round Coca-Cola, including an economics lecture by the company's executives and lessons on baking a Coca-Cola cake during the home economics class. The climax of the day was a school photograph in which all students pictured wore red and white Coca-Cola T-shirts spelling out the word Coke. At the last moment, however, one student, Mike Cameron, spoilt the fun by pulling off his shirt to reveal a Pepsi-plugging shirt beneath. He was suspended from the school as punishment.

[/ QUOTE ]