Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 09:00 AM

Default Re: TimM\'s Starting Strength Log (Rippetoe)

theblackkeys,

Contrast baths, the feeder workouts post I made, stretching, anything to drive blood to the area on off days.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:29 PM

BTW I was reading this :

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/69/
Grease the Groove for Strength: A Strength Training and Powerlifting article from Dragon Door Publications

and it made me sort of rethink my philosophy on how to work Rippetoe. You're doing a 3x5 three times a week. I realize now it's important to NOT go to failure. You're just trying to do pretty hard work, maybe around 80% of 1RM, so that you can do your sets clean, strain those muscles, but not go to failure. Not only will failure make it impossible to do good sets in the next workout, it might actually be counter productive to building strength.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW I was reading this :

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/69/
Grease the Groove for Strength: A Strength Training and Powerlifting article from Dragon Door Publications

and it made me sort of rethink my philosophy on how to work Rippetoe. You're doing a 3x5 three times a week. I realize now it's important to NOT go to failure. You're just trying to do pretty hard work, maybe around 80% of 1RM, so that you can do your sets clean, strain those muscles, but not go to failure. Not only will failure make it impossible to do good sets in the next workout, it might actually be counter productive to building strength.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I will check out the article...

Rippetoe says something similar, top of page 197:

"This type of training requires that all of the reps of each set be completed, since the program is based on lifting more weight each workout, not completing each workout faster."

Here he is referring to he amount of rest taken between sets, but it's clear that the goal is to complete all the reps, not to reach failure.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:52 PM

Is this Ripptoe workout mainly for increasing your max rep? Or is it effective for bodybuilding too? I'm looking to add mass and definition, increasing the weight I lift would be more secondary. Would Ripptoe suffice for this?
Old 04-11-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this Ripptoe workout mainly for increasing your max rep? Or is it effective for bodybuilding too? I'm looking to add mass and definition, increasing the weight I lift would be more secondary. Would Ripptoe suffice for this?

[/ QUOTE ]

They are hyper correlated.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:57 PM

the most dangerous thing about the "newbie waddle" is that you must exercise care while transporting yourself from point A to point B using the method of mobility known as "walking". You must also be careful when sitting down onto a toilet to do your business, else you learn what "Potty Flop" means.

Take special care if you are anywhere near steps. These can truly be hazardous to your health. ----

wish i had read this before i nearly fell down a flight of stairs...thank god for the railing in the middle.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:56 PM

Well I started out with lower weight on the squat today, but by the third set added 10 to what I did Monday. On the last rep I broke form at the very bottom and must have tweaked my lower back on the way up [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] The first two sets did feel very good though, I didn't really notice the soreness after hitting the bike for a little and then doing 2 warmup sets
Old 04-11-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the most dangerous thing about the "newbie waddle" is that you must exercise care while transporting yourself from point A to point B using the method of mobility known as "walking". You must also be careful when sitting down onto a toilet to do your business, else you learn what "Potty Flop" means.

Take special care if you are anywhere near steps. These can truly be hazardous to your health. ----

wish i had read this before i nearly fell down a flight of stairs...thank god for the railing in the middle.

[/ QUOTE ]
ahahahahahahahahahhahahha I forgot about the joy of the toilet flop. Oh, and taking stairs one step at a time.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:02 PM

I'm going to have to do the bike afterwards for sure. I did my squat sat--the 3 set of deadlifts probably didn't help things--and my legs are still fed up. Not really sore but just super super tight. Hard enough doing a body squat let alone 100lbs. Gonna do rows/press/dips friday and hold off to start up on the squats again till sunday..unless things get dramatically better in the next day or two.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:29 PM

CDS - one set of deadlifts only. 3 and you'll end up flaming out quickly.