Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 01:07 PM

Default Re: (555) Time to fold a +$EV spot again (?)

Well this situation's a bit different. I mean, your EQ Fold is higher than the Nash results would have you believe, because the next hand is set up perfectly for you having UTG in the BB. If button and UTG were the other way around it'd be another story, because button sucks a bit and would call you looser than he should by NE, more than likely. So yeah, I'd fold bottom 15% here ish I would say, maybe even as much as bottom 20%.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BB isn't a pro but seems to play pretty well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like ATC to me....
Old 11-09-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's +ev to shove ATC here, the question is about if we should pass up our thinnest edges with the bottom of our range so that we can gain larger +ev situations on subsequent hands, based on stack sizes I think we should definitely fold some amount of hands, how much of our range is optimal to fold is the most compelling question.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:52 PM

i don't quite understand maybe some of what people are saying here:

if we push now and he calls, either we win or we lose.

if we win, we won like 2100 chips, and are in the money with by far the big stack.

if we lose, we lose 1850ish chips, and are still the chip leader.
-assuming utg folds the next hand (possibly not a great assumption, but i'm going with it for right now), we can push pretty wide on the button, getting back 750 chips, and push pretty wide the hand after, getting another 750. if we don't have our blinds folded to, we're still up 750 on the orbit very likely, and then are on the button again where we can keep piling on the big stack pressure pushing any time we're first in. in all, i don't think that the bb guy is going to call and win enough, nor the loss for getting called and losing big enough, to make me scared of pushing everything here.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't quite understand maybe some of what people are saying here:

if we push now and he calls, either we win or we lose.

if we win, we won like 2100 chips, and are in the money with by far the big stack.

if we lose, we lose 1850ish chips, and are still the chip leader.
-assuming utg folds the next hand (possibly not a great assumption, but i'm going with it for right now), we can push pretty wide on the button, getting back 750 chips, and push pretty wide the hand after, getting another 750. if we don't have our blinds folded to, we're still up 750 on the orbit very likely, and then are on the button again where we can keep piling on the big stack pressure pushing any time we're first in. in all, i don't think that the bb guy is going to call and win enough, nor the loss for getting called and losing big enough, to make me scared of pushing everything here.

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG calling range will be significantly wider if he's clearly in last.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's +ev to shove ATC here, the question is about if we should pass up our thinnest edges with the bottom of our range so that we can

[/ QUOTE ]

When slim said "isn't a pro but seems to play pretty well." That's the best case you could ask for, predictable behavior and won't think outside the box, most likely is calling range is going to be uber tight in these spots, so no I'm not passing up on "x" now to receive "y" later..

Against a "pro" or an idiot I might think differently of it, but even with that based on Citanul post, thinking twice about it would be a mistake.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's +ev to shove ATC here, the question is about if we should pass up our thinnest edges with the bottom of our range so that we can

[/ QUOTE ]

When slim said "isn't a pro but seems to play pretty well." That's the best case you could ask for, predictable behavior and won't think outside the box, most likely is calling range is going to be uber tight in these spots, so no I'm not passing up on "x" now to receive "y" later..

Against a "pro" or an idiot I might think differently of it, but even with that based on Citanul post, thinking twice about it would be a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense, its been established that pushing is +ev, its not going to make a difference if its bigjoe or the described villain, a better player cant just fabricate a calling range that suddenly becomes good, we're talking about folding a pretty thin edge here if we're folding only our worst hands, It has to be good to fold some hands here.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense, its been established that pushing is +ev, its not going to make a difference if its bigjoe or the described villain, a better player cant just fabricate a calling range that suddenly becomes good, we're talking about folding a pretty thin edge here if we're folding only our worst hands, It has to be good to fold some hands here.

[/ QUOTE ]

i see what you and everyone else are pointing to, and I tend to agree that folding out the bottom is good, but the fact remains that the incremental edge gained is going to be so incredibly close here that I don't know how we can conclude on the exact part of the bottom of our range to fold short of coming up with a magical exact calling range for villain and call frequencies for UTG et al as citanul pointed to.

i guess im trying to say that i dont think anyone can fully refute someone saying to fold bottom 5% vs. bottom 15%, but I think we can conclude on slim's original question, which conclusively is that its unlikely that passing up on *some* hands here in a seemingly ATC spot is going to be worse than shoving ATC (again, assuming youre not folding too much). hope this makes sense, i just bought a volcano.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i see what you and everyone else are pointing to, and I tend to agree that folding out the bottom is good, but the fact remains that the incremental edge gained is going to be so incredibly close here that I don't know how we can conclude on the exact part of the bottom of our range to fold short of coming up with a magical exact calling range for villain and call frequencies for UTG et al as citanul pointed to.

i guess im trying to say that i dont think anyone can fully refute someone saying to fold bottom 5% vs. bottom 15%, but I think we can conclude on slim's original question, which conclusively is that its unlikely that passing up on *some* hands here in a seemingly ATC spot is going to be worse than shoving ATC (again, assuming youre not folding too much). hope this makes sense, i just bought a volcano.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I think it comes down to more of a judgement call than anything else.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Enjoy it man, they're a lot of fun. Best way to smoke...and it's not even close.