Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 08:44 PM

Default Playing Too Tight??

$4/$8 limit game.
I'm in MP with red 9s. I'm in seat 10. Seat 7 (very loose player) and seat 9 (very solid) both limp. I limp also (weak?). Seat 1 raises (he's a $10/$20 player waiting for a 10/20 seat). Seat 2 makes it 3 bets. She is the wife of seat 9 and she is just as solid as her husband. I put her on AA or KK. It folds around to the limpers (7&9) who fold, including her husband. I fold also.

Was this too weak? Should I have paid attention to the numbers of bets in the pot to help with my decision? [I believe it's 2 SB to call and there's 9.5 SB in pot so far]

I had seat 1 still to act behind me. He could very well cap it.

Now, does it make a difference what the flop was (I say it doesn't)? Because since I'm posting you can probably guess what hit.

I found out what hands seat 1 and 2 had and I was behind both.

Thanks

PS I did mention what I had to the table and got a mixture of "You play too tight" and "Correct read".

As I'm a newbie (still reading the posting requirements) does the forum in general like to know what the hands and flop were for these types of questions?
Old 10-27-2007, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Playing Too Tight??

I would have definatly called there. You almost getting 5:1, and its 7:1 to hit your set. But if you do hit, you will collect lots of bets. ( this is what poker is all about)(and anyone who gives advice at the table doesn't know what they're talking about).

Because you can reliably put your opponents on big hands, you can easily fold the flop if you don't hit a set ( or a 678 flop).

Also, i would have raised preflop, but i raise alot in 4-8 games. By raising, you can get position and take control of the hand.

Marrek
Old 10-27-2007, 10:43 PM

Raise preflop. You should have seen the flop. The only way that you shouldn't see the flop with 99 is if it's three cold to you, and even that depends on the quality of play of the raisers. The results of the hand do not matter; what matters is the quality of the decisions you make. Doesn't matter what flopped.

When you post use a hand converter or approximate it manually for live play. Do not post results, ever. It biases the responses. Always post as detailed a read on your opponents as you can.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:22 AM

You should have raised the first time because 99 gives you an equity advantage over the random crap your opponents will be playing.

Your fold to the 3bet was correct (I would have called if the limpers came along though).
Old 10-28-2007, 02:05 AM

Hey there, check out the thread near the top of the SSHE forum about posting guidelines. It will help.

Good luck
Old 10-28-2007, 03:26 AM

One more for raising preflop, although I don't think limping behind is terrible at these stakes in a live game.

As played, good fold--you trusted your read (which was probably right), and in a typical B&M game you aren't going to make up enough in implied odds after the flop to call 2 more bets (and possibly have to call a third).

In answer to your other questions, always pay attention to your pot odds. That's what LHE is all about. And no, results don't matter...I've patted myself on the back for making correct folds while cringing at what I would've hit more times than I can count. Of course, neither your nor I remembers the far more plentiful occasions when we correctly folded & wouldn't have hit anything.

Oh...probably not a good idea to tell the table what you had after the hand. Sure, it's tempting when you would've won a huge pot, but you likely don't want the image issues that mentioning this fold could bring up.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
The only way that you shouldn't see the flop with 99 is if it's three cold to you, and even that depends on the quality of play of the raisers.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. You do not want to play this for 2 cold shorthanded against a tight pfr range.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh...probably not a good idea to tell the table what you had after the hand. Sure, it's tempting when you would've won a huge pot, but you likely don't want the image issues that mentioning this fold could bring up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:00 AM

I think that folding this preflop is horrible IMO.

Its ~ 5:1 presently on your call. Its very reasonable that you can expect to collect at least 4 BB after the flop if you hit your set, making it a +EV situation.

Your opponents are not going to fold an overpair on the flop in a 4-8 game. Its also likely that they'll get a least 1 raise in there, especially if the flop is non-threatening ( ie.Q92, or K94).

This is a hand where you could collect a big pot if you hit, as you put your opponents on big hands and they're likely to get to the river on alot of boards.

There is more than enough implied odds to call here. The chance that it will be capped behind you, it reduces your odds to almost 4:1, which is still +EV.

for this not to be +EV, both your opponents would have to fold on the turn, and if that is the case, you should be happy to call and bluff them off their overpair.

mark
Old 10-29-2007, 10:04 AM

does this advice hold for any pocket pair, then?
specifically, lower ones?
Old 10-29-2007, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
does this advice hold for any pocket pair, then?
specifically, lower ones?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, for a 4-8 game.

The lower the cards and the better my opponents, the better the current odds i want. If it went utg raise, utg + 1 reraise, utg + 2 caps, i'm not cold calling pocket 3s, for 4 bets, it a 4 way pot ( 3:1 on my $$) unless my opponents are terrible.

mark