Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 10:03 PM

Default Hybrid Clubs

I'm thinking about redoing my bag, and I keep having people tell me that I need to add a hybrid club to my bag and get rid of my 3 wood.

I am a good golfer, probably about a 10-12 handicap in the off season and capable of playing scratch during the summers. I have a good swing speed, and have no problem hitting the ball a long way. I hit my 3 iron about 220ish. I am not the most accurate long iron player, however; and in particular, I don't hit my 3 wood well at all.

I had never even thought about getting a hybrid until my pro told me he'd put two of them in his bag last week, so I thought I'd look into them.

So..a couple of questions.

#1. Does anyone have any experience changing to these clubs? Are they really that easy to hit? If so, do they have any stopping power at all if hit into a green?

#2. Does anyone have any experience with any specific ones? The two that caught my eye were the Titleist 585, and the R7 Dual. Although, that's just because their the newest ones.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:17 PM

Default Re: Hybrid Clubs

I've never liked em [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-24-2007, 11:47 PM

i use and love hybrid 3 and 4 irons. they didn't replace my three wood though? i guess i don't see the correlation.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:51 PM

I carry 19* and 22* TaylorMade Rescue hybrids. I used to carry a 5 wood, 7 wood, and 4 iron. These two clubs have replaced those three, and enabled me to put the 60* wedge back in my bag.

Very versatile clubs. Easier to hit than long irons, in my opinion (I'm an 8-9 handicap). I find it easy to shape my shots, too. They hold pretty well into the green, but you're not going to mistake them for a wedge. Also pretty easy to hit out of the rough (open the face a little). I use them on tight driving holes where 195 or 215 is enough. And I sometimes hit long chips with them.

But I still carry a 3 wood, and I don't have experience with a lower loft hybrid like a 16* or 15*.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
10-12 handicap in the off season and capable of playing scratch during the summers

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not going to say you're not telling the truth since I've never seen you play, but I've never met anyone that met this description.

As far as clubs, if you don't hit your 3 wood well there's no reason to have it. That being said, it's going to be hard to find a hybrid that will math the distance.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:51 AM

I've used a 14 degree Taylor Made hybrid as a wood replacement for the last couple years. I've found it to be slightly easier to hit than a fairway wood, but that's probably just me - I have no problems hitting long irons but have struggled to find any fairway wood I can hit consistently.

Stopping power is pretty decent - as the poster above said, you're not going to confuse it with a wedge, but part of the appeal is the ability to get the ball up in the air easier.

No idea about what's out there currently.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:26 PM

I have Ping 19 and 22 degree hybrids, and I love them, but I also carry a 3 iron (I dropped my 4 iron). My home course is heavily tree lined, and that 3 iron comes in mighty handy when punching out from under trees. The hybrids just hit the ball too high to get out safely.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:45 PM

I love mine. It actually took me a while to get consistent with it (by "a while," I mean a round), but that first time I hit a shot 200 yards onto the green and it actually stopped, I knew it was an excellent purchase. Plus, I hit the crap out of hit from the rough.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:19 PM

I hit a hybrid instead of a 3 wood but they are nowhere near the same in distance. I just hit the hybrid so much better i don't mind the 20 yd distance loss.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
10-12 handicap in the off season and capable of playing scratch during the summers

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not going to say you're not telling the truth since I've never seen you play, but I've never met anyone that met this description.

As far as clubs, if you don't hit your 3 wood well there's no reason to have it. That being said, it's going to be hard to find a hybrid that will math the distance.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very common with several of my friends. We don't play at all during the winter months, then when it gets warm we play everyday. It takes us a month or two to get everything back rolling.

I didn't say I play scratch for sure, but I am definitely capable of doing it, and have done it for several decent stretches. The last three summers I've ended up around the 2 range, does this better fit into your experience? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]