Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Playing Too Tight??

[ QUOTE ]
it's not a great idea to tell people what you folded unless you're lying .

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-30-2007, 02:07 PM

i would think a call is justified...versus a single overpair you are 18% to win at worst, and the pot will have 10 sb in it after you put in your 2 to call...a little short but if you make a set on the flop you have terrific implied odds...if capped you would be putting in 3 to make the pot 12 or perhaps 14...i think you stay to see a flop here
Old 10-30-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, you don't always HAVE to play a pocket pair. but you're missing my point here. What i'm saying is that in order for this not to be +EV, your oppoents would have to be good enough to fold and overpair when you flop a set, which will never happen at 4-8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do the math for the situation where they just bet once, get raised on the flop and then call down. Also consider that they won't have an overpair if an A flops and they have like KK/QQ. Finally consider the cases where you flop a set and lose.

The usual standard when comparing all of these things is that the pot should be about 10x your preflop call when you win it. So we're talking 20-30SB after you consider the possibility of getting capped, or even 40SB if it's a 5-bet cap game.

[ QUOTE ]
If you ever run into a NIT who folds an overpair in this situation, it agian becomes +EV because you can bluff them out.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you don't already know that's the type you're playing against, then you're either going to not capitalize on this fact or you're going to donk off chips against someone who won't fold a significant % of the time.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for posting this. I have read a LOT lately on this board about capping 99. It's really not a great hand. I think the OP made a good fold.

Value is a concept that, IMHO, should be balanced with hand-reading and opponent-reading skills, and basic poker skills like knowing when you're beat. Many posts on here lately have advocated throwing away chips in situations where folding is more prudent.

Value is nice in theory, but sometimes in practice we have to just fold.. lest we turn ourselves into donkeys.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not an example of equity failing to illustrate the correct play; it's precisely the opposite.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:59 AM

Grunch

Limping here is WRONG. You should RAISE.

However, as played your fold was correct IMO.

Guess a 9 hit on the flop, huh? Life sucks.

PS: Do NOT tell the table what you had. You are giving away information. NEVER give your opponents accurate information.

AB