Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 10:28 AM

Default Re: Top set on dry board. Getting max value.

[ QUOTE ]
I think. Most of you are wrong. Would love to get into discussion on this hand. I actually like my line, if others don't, would like to hear why not; am open to suggestions .

[/ QUOTE ]

you obviously arent open to suggestions, you basically wanted us to say that your smooth call is AWESOME, which in fact it isnt the only way to play the hand
Old 07-27-2007, 12:17 PM

It is very very unlikely he has a draw. He made slightly over a minraise on the flop so his most likely hand is A5/A9 but he may have a set. The problem with checking this turn is that when he does have A9 or A5 that queen is going to be a scary card and he may fold to your c/r while he probably would have called if you led. The only way your line is better than anything else is if he is on a stone bluff. Lead the turn or start playing so it isn't obvious you have AA if you 3bet the flop.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:31 PM

Sorry about the last post. Was in a pissy mood after a live game last night. Found a good 2/5 game around town that deals PLO and I forgot I'm a full ring fish. Blah.

I didn't expect people to say that this line is AWESOME, but I am quite suprised that most haven't like it. Which is fine.

A few people IM'd me and have said they liked it, and I posted the hand on CR forum as well and the one response was "standard".

The purpose of this line is to get as much money in as possible from a wide range. Yes I could just 3bet the flop and stack 555 or 999, OR I could smooth call and c/r the turn and do the same thing. But when I call the flop and check the turn, I get a wider range of hands that will fire on the turn then will stack off to a flop 3bet. Not to mention I look semi weak and I will attract semi bluffs or weak two pairs looking to just move me off on the turn, and in the event the villian has AQxx or had aces up one the flop I think I get a ton of his stack in without even having to bet it myself. Stack sizes were another reason why I liked this line. If he bets the turn 2/3 psb or more, he'll be committed with a wide range of hands. If i 3bet the flop or lead the turn he can still fold, or call the turn lead and fold rivers.

I actually think the donk lead turn line is the worst route to take here. It kills alot of the action I can get from not 3betting the flop. Aces up on the flop or 59xx or 678x now just call and see a river rather than bet hard after I check. If the stacks were 200bb or more then this line would be more attractive to me, simply for the fact that it would be hard to put me on top set. Putting out a fake weak blocking turn bet with hopes of it getting raised would be a great line against an aggressive opponent.

3betting the flop lightly is usually my standard line. But on such a dry board and only 60bb effective stacks, it sorta makes the flop 3bet the deciding point in the hand. And I think the opponent can get away from 2pair or some pair+draw type hand as well. Also it eliminates any value I could get from bluffs. Yes, bluffs. Hands with little or now showdown value almost have to bet the turn after slowing me down on the flop. If i 3bet I only get a narrow range of hands coming along, and its the same range that bet the turn after I check. I do agree with piiop tho, 3betting would keep up the aggro image and would make it harder for the opponent to gain a solid read on my play. The villian isn't a reg though, so wasn't too worried about him picking up anything on my betting patterns.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:01 PM

Preflop-good
Turn-fine assuming villian will be most of the time and is not raising for a free card. If villian bets turn, I check raise and hope to get it in.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:02 PM

Playing LAGy and then slowing down to induce bluffs when you have the nuts doesn't sound like good poker to me. Getting him to call you down for his whole stack when drawing next to dead is supposed to be your payoff.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:48 PM

PokerStars Game #11147662307: Omaha Pot Limit ($0.50/$1.00) - 2007/07/26 - 15:46:29 (ET)
Table 'Edburga V' 9-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 6: jazz100 ($63.55 in chips)
Seat 8: sco0ot ($123.70 in chips)
jazz100: posts small blind $0.50
sco0ot: posts big blind $1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to sco0ot [Qs Ah Ac Ks]
jazz100: calls $0.50
sco0ot: raises $2 to $3
jazz100: calls $2
*** FLOP *** [Ad 5s 9h]
sco0ot: bets $4
jazz100: raises $6 to $10
sco0ot: calls $6
*** TURN *** [Ad 5s 9h] [Qc]
sco0ot: checks
jazz100: bets $24
sco0ot: raises $73 to $97
jazz100: calls $26.55 and is all-in
*** RIVER *** [Ad 5s 9h Qc] [Jd]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
sco0ot: shows [Qs Ah Ac Ks] (three of a kind, Aces)
jazz100: mucks hand
sco0ot collected $126.10 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $127.10 | Rake $1
Board [Ad 5s 9h Qc Jd]
Seat 6: jazz100 (button) (small blind) mucked [5h 2s 3h 5d]
Seat 8: sco0ot (big blind) showed [Qs Ah Ac Ks] and won ($126.10) with three of a kind, Aces

Turns out he had bottom set. In this case, if I took any of the 3 lines discussed, Im sure I would have stacked him. The point of the post wasn't how to stack a set (because imo any line will), the point was how to get max value from the widest range of hands. I think this line does that, I know some don't; but its good to discuss why we think that etc. Anyways, thanks for the posts.