Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-03-2007, 12:56 AM

Default Official argue about all things Barry Bonds GOAT thread

For those that didn't catch Bonds on MSNBC, here are excerpts directly from the transcript, in the context of the interviewer's question.

Obviously, in the articles on ESPN/CNNSI, they only include snippets they wanted.......But what really amazes me, is in their stories on the interview, they <u>completely left out</u> any mention of Bonds responses to the questions regarding whether or not he unfairly broke the record, and his response to the myth that he said he "never knowingly took steroids."

You'd think those responses to those specific questions would be extremely relevant to the allegations being made in the media over the past 4 years.....but apparently the major sports media outlets didn't want his responses to those questions included in their stories.

Imagine that.

ON SUSPICION THAT HE BROKE HANK AARON’S HOME RUN RECORD BY USING ILLEGAL STEROIDS:
[ QUOTE ]

<u>GRAY:</u> And to those who believe that you have unfairly obtained this record through the use of performance enhancing drugs, what would your response to them be?

<u>BONDS:</u> That’s not true and it’s not right and it’s not fair to me. It’s not fair to me, it’s not true. It’s not fair.

<u>GRAY:</u> Do you think in some ways you are taking the brunt and you’re being unfairly singled out for the entire industry and the problems they have had?

<u>BONDS:</u> I truly believe I have been singled out definitely, 100%.

[/ QUOTE ]

ON "NEVER KNOWINGLY" TAKING STEROIDS
[ QUOTE ]

<u>GRAY:</u> In light of the fact that you have said on numerous occasions that you have never knowingly used steroids. How do you explain that you got better with time, when father time seems to catch up with everyone, and peoples’ careers go down with age, your production levels increased.

<u>BONDS:</u> Hank Aaron’s production increased as he got older, Alex Rodriguez’ productions increasing as he’s getting older, and mine ain’t really gone down yet. Think about it. I don’t think it’s fair to say that I made any statements that, one that is in the courts that is not, that you’re not exactly reading the whole entire statement, I don’t think it’s fair to make that statement, you’re saying something that I have said that I know that I have not said.

<u>GRAY:</u> And that would be knowingly.

<u>BONDS:</u> Unknowingly, ha, it’s not even in my vocabulary

<u>GRAY:</u> Let me just say it so that everybody knows it, the knowingly comes from what has been reportedly leaked of the grand jury testimony.

<u>BONDS:</u> That’s not even in my vocabulary. I just don’t think it’s fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

See the part where Bonds explains that "you're not exactly reading the whole statment" and "you're saying something I have not said".

Where have we heard that before? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

And the part about Hank's production increasing with age....where have we seen that before? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

And, imagine the surprise when the transcripts are finally unsealed, and we learn that all along, the leaked version was indeed, "not to be viewed as factual".

Do you think those in the media who ran with the "leaked version" will issue retractions?

Or is this possibly why they don't want to include this response in their versions of the story about his interview.....selectively leaving it out because it contradicts their previous accounts of the transcripts?

Especially considering the clock is ticking on the statute of limitations, and the transcripts won't stay sealed forever.

Sweet...

ON HIS IMAGE
[ QUOTE ]

<u>GRAY:</u> But it’s the image and the perception and you know you’re going to have to deal with that.

<u>BONDS:</u> Yes, my image isn’t the best of all times, I believe it’s like Ali would say, mine isn’t the best of all times, his was the best of all times, but that was my downfall Jim, I didn’t want that lifestyle, I wanted to go to work, and I wanted to go home and I wanted to be with my friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't have said it better myself, Big Daddy.

He wanted to play ball, and spend time with his friends and family.

He didn't want to be anyone's role model, it's not his job to raise your kids, nor did he want to peddle you soft drinks and tennis shoes by being someone's corporate logo house negro, and he didn't feel the need to kiss anybody's ass to earn his keep.

He did that with his bat, and he did it on the field.

And apparently, that bothers some people.

VIVA LA BONDS!
LONG LIVE THE HR KING!
Old 11-03-2007, 01:00 AM

Default Re: Bonds Responds

ok. Redbean gets his official Bonds thread. Everyone argue and troll each other to your hearts content. But, this is the place. Tangents that derail other threads will be discouraged, and new Bonds threads will be likely be locked.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:07 AM

Haha this stuff is getting kind of crazy. We definitely dont need a caffeine thread. It is funny that that even got made into such a big deal since it isnt even applicable to anyone outside of, like...me, and it doesnt do anything to any of the pro- or anti-steroids arguments. It just makes a couple med students hypocrites is all. Oh well. RedBean, congrats on having your own stomping grounds.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:10 AM

He was upset that caffine debate distracted from high quality Bonds trolling, so I figured that if the real official Bonds thread had his name as the OP, people would know what they were getting into. Plus, he obviously put a lot of effort into this one. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2007, 02:11 AM

New title &gt;&gt;&gt; Old title
Old 11-03-2007, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He was upset that caffine debate distracted from high quality Bonds trolling, so I figured that if the real official Bonds thread had his name as the OP, people would know what they were getting into. Plus, he obviously put a lot of effort into this one. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Works for me.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:22 AM

For the record, I think that Bonds is both the Greatest of All Time, as well as a cheater, but I really don't care that he cheated, since it was IMO known and condoned by the players, the union, and ownership. So I guess I'm kind of in the middle on this whole topic.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For the record, I think that Bonds is both the Greatest of All Time, as well as a cheater, but I really don't care that he cheated, since it was IMO known and condoned by the players, the union, and ownership. So I guess I'm kind of in the middle on this whole topic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he is really close to GOAT, he'd probably get my vote, and I also think he probably took steroids and/or HGH. I'm very much on the fence with regards to whether he cheated or not, leaning towards not. Definitely dont care though.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I also think he probably took steroids and/or HGH. I'm very much on the fence with regards to whether he cheated or not

[/ QUOTE ]

I figure its all one and the same. I'm definitely not going to get into the semantical debate about that point though.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I also think he probably took steroids and/or HGH. I'm very much on the fence with regards to whether he cheated or not

[/ QUOTE ]

I figure its all one and the same. I'm definitely not going to get into the semantical debate about that point though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, as far as a casual opinion.

But if your livelihood and personal freedom depended on it, you probably wouldn't think it was one and the same, or consider it a nitty semantical argument.

It'd be a pretty big deal.