Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Ask me about Starbucks

When are you going to get rid of that sucky orange coffee cake thing and bring back the yummiest-evar banana-carmel-ish one???

Also how much is everyone there drinking the corporate koolaid? I would guess a lot.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
CB, Months ago I read about hot Starbucks breakfast sandwiches but haven't seen them firsthand. Opinions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, I'm extrapolating/guessing/possibly lying, etc.

Usually this sort of thing occurs in a test-market first, and if it is successful, is then rolled out to the rest of the country. I've heard it is happening, don't know where it is being tested (if at all). Only certain stores are considered "Warming" stores, meaning, they have an oven or some other function to warm/toast pastries and sandwiches.

I also believe that you have to have a different permit from the city in order to have an oven than most Starbucks typically have. Whether or not that is gumming up the works, I don't know.

I'm going with it's being tested somewhere, and will probably catch on enough to roll out eventually.

I'd be all for it. I open a lot, and by the time my lunch break rolls around, most places aren't open for lunch yet. I don't want to buy my own pastries for breakfast, I typically want something hot. Of course, I'd probably get sick of them eventually, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

These have been around in at least 3 Starbucks in the Portland area that I know of. They're actually pretty good, and unlike Starbucks lunches, not really that overpriced.

[/ QUOTE ]

They had them in Gresham station about a year ago. Not sure about now as I haven't been back in a while.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Haven't read the thread, hope this hasn't been asked.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've had coffee in my life. I'm pretty sure I don't like it, but I'd like to learn to.

Is it just me or is Starbucks incredibly intimidating to the novice coffee drinker? All those stupid names for the sizes/drinks are pretty scary when you know absolutely nothing about coffee.

Anyway, what should my first order be?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not just you. Lots of people feel intimidated. I assume you've tried coffee before, so, I'd recommend trying a latte, which is just shots of espresso with steamed milk. Most everything on the menu is a variation of this. If you like vanilla, get a vanilla latte. You like chocolate? Get a mocha. As someone above said, most baristas are helpful to newbies, especially if the store isn't busy.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:39 PM

They have the breakfast sandwiches them at the Sbux by my house. Very tasty.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Starbucks is Ok with me. The coffee is better than the watery stuff you are given at most places and it's nowhere near 'way more' expensive. In the summer I'm not above getting a cafe vanilla frappucino too. If that makes me gay so be it, because they're damn good.

Question: Not being racist, but have you ever seen a black lady order any other drink than a strawberries n cream frap or a caramel macchiatto?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but caramel macchiattos are definitely a very common order for black women. Also, Asians get Americanos a lot ("tall size").
Old 07-31-2007, 08:41 PM

I think you're out of luck, the best I've been able to obtain from caffeine is a sniffing glue-like high.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:42 PM

ClassicBob,

NBA POSTERS REPRESENT!!! Good job with this thread. Hope you're not still pissed at me cuz I forgot you in that list of Mavericks homers that one time.

Hey, I'm a 2-3X/week Starbucks customer (Iced Chai Latte, sue me). I typically go in one in the Safeway by my place since I have a 1/2 mile commute to work. However, there are two standalone Starbucksesses a mile to the west and another couple a mile or two the other way.

Anyway, I've heard a stigma attached to the ones in grocery stores and what not, that they're not "real" Starbucks. Any thoughts that the product or talent level of baristas may be inferior at those? My drink is ridiculously easy to make so they get it right, but the employees are Safeway employees, not Starbucks employees, and their pastry selection is disappointingly slim as well. What have you heard?
Old 07-31-2007, 08:42 PM

I'm addicted to the tarasomething chicken sandwich with cranberries. I will Admit to eating this tasty sandwich every work day for the past 2 months. Sometimes I will eat one for breakfast and again for lunch. Why does the liquid sugar they have taste fruity. How come the breakfast sandwiches suck so bad. How come everybody that works at Starbucks is so very overly nice and sometimes zany nice.

Am I nuts for spending close to 100 bucks at star bucks a week? Or do you have regulars that spend about the same. What is the average tip from a customer. I'm sure it adds up by the end of the shift.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Blarg,

Obviously if someone doesn't have $4, they can't purchase a $4 coffee drink. I don't think that's worth mentioning.

However, people who can in no reasonable way come anywhere close to being able to afford Starbucks purchase it way more often than you probably imagine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't count someone who can spend $4.00 on coffee as economically challenged. If he can spend $4.00 on coffee but can't afford to sleep indoors, he's not poor, he's a bum. I think being a bum and being poor are very, very different things and should never be confused or thought of as having much to do with each other at all, but YMMV.

[/ QUOTE ]

That response sucked.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:43 PM

ClassicBob,

Also, ballpark, what % of the employees you've worked with in your time there have been gay or lesbian? It seems to attract them like flies for some reason.