Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-16-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Sahara Tournament?

so, i was in Vegas last September and based on recommendations i'd read on this site, decided to play the Sahara 7:00pm tourney. you know, since it was in line with the size of my bankroll, and all (i.e. all $62 of it) *smirk*
well, i made it to the last 4 tables (of 16 starting), not too shabby a showing for my first time playing brick and mortar, if i do say so myself. i definitely got my money's worth just from the experience alone.
anyway, i was just reading a complaint on an allvegaspoker.com cardroom review that said some players were allowed to take their sweet time when moved to a new table, enough time to let the blinds go by. has anyone who has any experience at the Sahara tournament found this to be a problem? or is that tournament too small stakes for the twoplustwo crew?
i mean, it sounds like an angle-shoot, but does the cardroom management let it slide, or is this something that they normally prevent? when i played there, i was lucky the two times i was moved, because the blinds had just passed me, but it had never occured to me to deliberately move extra slowly.
one more question. allvegaspoker also says that the blind levels go from 1500/3000 to 3000/6000, which strikes me as a bit drastic, considering the praise i've read for the Sahara's structure. can anyone verify whether or not this is correct, or simply an error on the part of allvegaspoker.com? seems like they'd want a 2000/4000 level in there, but i only made it to the 1000/2000 level, so wasn't around long enough to see.
i need answers to these questions before deciding to play it again the next time i'm in Vegas. i've been itching to put some of the things i've been reading in HoH into practice.
if the Sahara's too dicey, i'd rather spend a little more and play the Caesar's tournament.
thanks in advance for any replies.
-t
"Harrington on Hold'em is okay, I guess." -- Annette Obrestad
Old 11-16-2007, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Sahara Tournament?

I actually liked the Sahara tourney slightly better before they added chips to the starting stacks. Exactly because of the doubling of the blinds. In earlier rounds, the blinds don't double every time, but at some point along the way, they just give up on a reasonable structure and it starts doubling every round. With the previous smaller starting stack, that didn't seem to hit as hard...the play was actually mostly done by the time you got into the doubling-at-the-end stage.

Yeah, I've grumbled about the doubling. Answer is the usual "it already takes 6 hours to play". Which is true. It remains a lot of tourney for your $62. Imperfect it is, but I'm not sure there's a better bang for the buck.

People intentionally lollygagging to miss the blind when they move is a constant problem in EVERY tourney. Sometimes players will notice this happen and cause a stink, but it's pretty tough to prove.

When the tables are getting thin (down to 4ish) I've seen TD's stop the dealing at all the tables while we wait for the breaking players to join, and that way nobody gets to miss nuthin'. And a good in-your-face TD when he's balancing tables by taking a single player will typically tell the dealer about to receive a player "deal in the 4-seat next hand, I'm bringing you a player" and then go get the victim. Play stops until the victim arrives.

Sahara actually sometimes comes pretty close to doing this well. They have the dealers on break hanging around the room helping run the tourney, so it's kinda like having 3 floor people working the tourney instead of just 1. They don't do decisions, but they take care of keeping the tables balanced, and it seems like Sahara does a good job of keeping out the dealers who've never figured out the concepts of how you balance tables. Mostly.

I've actually seen a confrontation at Sahara over someone intentionally delaying when it was OBVIOUS. Player walks up, sees where the button is, and just instantly turns around and backs up and tries to blend into the wall. Right after the cards were dealt, he joins the table. Players screamed, and the floor did something about it...not sure but I think he just took the BB from him and put it into the pot.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:14 PM

I've had good and bad experiences playing the Sahara tournies. I guess it all depends on who's running the show when you decide to play.

Personally, I don't think I'll be back there again too soon.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:16 AM

Good review, Bav. I haven't played it for awhile, but I've always enjoyed the times I have. As you said, a lot of bang for the buck.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:50 AM

I go and play that tournament probably once every 6 months or so. And everytime I regret that I did, even though i have won more money than I have lost playing it. Management is hideously indifferent to the tournament. I have seen the floor sit in a full live cash game while nobody runs the tournament. Tables get balanced only if a dealer on break happens to walk by at the right time. While there are a few good dealers there are many there who are terrible. I routinbely see dealers sit in the box and start a conversation with aregular, i don't mean they talk whiule they deal. I mean they talk first, when the conversation is over they start dealing. On one occasion a friend complained about a ruling that was in completely opposite of the posted rules and was told that the posted rules don't apply. I have always been suspicious of the ways the reentries get done. A player walks away from the table heads to the front deak then comes back to the same table and tells the dealer that they bought back in. They have no card, no receipt, nothing and the dealer gives them chips.

My very first time playing there though was the worst. You see some chuckle headed floor decided to accomodate everyone he was going to make the tournament 12 handed tables. Though I think that sucks, what was worse, was that he kept it 12 handed until the final table he would not go to 11 or 10 handed as the tournament was breaking down.

The payoff strcuture sucks. While i don't mind a top heavy payout, you need to shorten the number of people getting paid when you make it that top heavy.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The payoff strcuture sucks. While i don't mind a top heavy payout, you need to shorten the number of people getting paid when you make it that top heavy.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I always go for the chops when I make the FT (which has been more often than not... when I play it). If there's some knucklehead that's against the chop, I make sure to go on a full-scale assault to try and break him so the chop can be then made.

The payout is so top-heavy that you could pretty much chop it even 9-ways and everyone would get paid out more than, more often then not, 3rd place $$$. Plus at that point the M is so low that anyone wanting to keep going is wanting to play bingo.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If there's some knucklehead that's against the chop, I make sure to go on a full-scale assault to try and break him so the chop can be then made.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you serious?

You think that the chances of pulling a chop makes it +$EV to make -cEV plays against a player who does not want to chop?

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2007, 03:31 AM

lol, nah, not literally, but the players on a whole stiiiiiiiiiink and more often than not the non-chopper goes and donks off their chips anyway.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:04 AM

Not only do the players stink, but also a bunch of the staff. Dealers like "Casey" ( I believe his name was/is), bridging the cards when shuffling, and the short ?asian? dealer constantly rolling the deck.

How does fred Masters not know/not give a [censored] about these things?

But I DO like the sammiches at break, though, e-coli or not.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:24 AM

My $0.02:

1. The structure is one of the best for a $42 plus 1 $20 add-on. ALWAYS take the add on when you sit down! Against donkeys plus local rocks, you want the stack early.

2. There are no antes in this MTT, so it actually makes the middle levels better. However, it is a 4 hour MTT, so the later levels are push or fold for the most part.

3.. The mgmt is poor compared to most, but if you know the rules you can *usually* end up with the mostly correct ruling. Harassing the dealers (most of whom have been there awhile is -eV - try a cheerful approach).

4. Quite often, a dealer is the TD. Find out who it is if you have a table balancing issue.

5. How they move players to balance is a mystery to me. In one MTT, I was moved 4 times in the same level! I missed posting the SB or the BB for the entire level! Remember, its a $40 tourney, not the WSOP.

6. IMHO, this is one of the few Vegas MTTs where chopping is generally the right call. I'm pretty sure the level does go from 1500/3000 to 3000/6000. I have chopped 3-4 times for usually ~3-4th place money. One time I was the clear CL and refused an even chop. In about 10 hands, there were only 4 left and I said wtf and refused any chop to keep playing. Both the TD and the dealer were not really happy, but they did their job. What I figured was that the other old local had zero HU experience so my advantage was pretty obvious. I KO'ed him in 6 hands when my K-4 got it all in vs. his TT on a K high flop. (please note - this is NOT a brag but a single data point to support the case of not chopping when you think you have an edge.)

If you are going to "play up" skip the CP $200 and play the Venetian $185. Its a much better structure. Also, I think the PH low buy-in MTTs are comprable to Sahara's - just in a better poker room with better dealers and mgmt.

GL!