Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 01:21 AM

Default Aussie Millions / PCA PROBLEM - Help Please!

It seems that the Aussie Millions package conflicts with the PCA package. I have already won my Aussie Millions seat, but planned on going to the PCA (I intend to win a PCA package within the next couple weeks, but if I don't win one I can tag along with brother and buy-in directly). Now, I have to decide whether to just go to Australia, or split time between the Bahamas and Australia sacrificing some value.

So, I won my Aussie Millions seat thinking it would just be for the Main Event which starts the Jan 14th. The PCA is Jan 5th - 10th. However, I receieved an e-mail from FTP stating that I will depart from LAX Jan 7th and return Jan 21st. So, here are my possible choices:

1. Go to PCA. Fly out of Bahamas Jan. 11th. Make several connections and fly the whole day arriving in Melbourne on Jan. 13th.
Pros- I get to play in the PCA and Aussie Millions with my bro. I get to see Bahamas and Australia. I get two shots at two big tournaments.
Cons- Plane tickets cost 2k a person for roundtrip tickets to Melbourne. FTP will give me 3k to make my own reservations. So, -$1,000 if I take a person. I sacrifice a week of free hotel in Australia, time spent relaxing, VIP functions with FTP Pros, and an assortment of entertainment that I do not know the specifics of.

2. Go to Australia and skip the PCA
Pros- I get to enjoy Australia to the fullest extent. I've always wanted to go there. I get to enjoy all the FTP VIP functions and hang out with the Pros, etc.
Cons- I miss out on the PCA and possibly millions... My brother will have to meet up with me on the 13th in Australia.

So, what would your choice be? Any constructive suggestions/input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:24 AM

Default Re: Aussie Millions / PCA PROBLEM - Help Please!

i dont really see the problem, just figure out how much playing pca is worth to you.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:29 AM

The PCA is worth a lot to me. However, enjoying my first time in Australia (and Bahamas?) is important to me too. This is my winter break, and I want to make the best of it. At the same time, I would definitely like 2 shots at winning 7 figures, since I don't have many opportunities given my busy schedule.

I don't know... maybe I'm just looking for what others think of this situation. I can't seem to make up my mind one way or the other. It's also possible I'm overlooking some pros or cons. I just wanted to see if anyone had any good ideas/suggestions to help me out.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:30 AM

All aussie questions should be directed at luke.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:54 AM

Egar,

Aussie has a lot of good prelims. I have the same decision as you and I'm just going with Aussie. As an EPT PCA has a worse structure this year than last and less tv coverage. The bahamas is cool in many ways but it also sucks in many ways, bad service, nothing to do outside the resort, etc. Everyone is always telling me how amazing Melbourne is, It's an easy decision for me.

-Jeff
Old 10-31-2007, 04:52 AM

It's a really easy decision for me, as I am going to a wedding on Jan 5th and I won an Aussie package. So...no PCA for me.

Who's interested in some degenerate gambooooooolin' on the flight to Australia?
Old 10-31-2007, 07:57 AM

E,

I would suggest going to both of them. It seems to me that you enjoy playing live poker, and you do not get the chance to play in many of the big live tournaments. Plus, you WILL be with your brother, so even if there isn't much to do outside the hotel in the bahamas, you will be with a family member and I'm sure you will enjoy yourself.

I think the best route to go is to play in both of them, if you cash at the PCA you will not be losing 1k by not going to Australia early, besides, how often do you get the opportunity to play in ONE big live tournament, let alone TWO?
Old 10-31-2007, 08:31 AM

Although it is not my kind of buy-in etc it seems to me that you should just go to australia. for starters you already have the ticket. I think you would really enjoy two weeks out there and would get to do loads of great stuff, not just poker-wise where as it sounds like PCA is really just a hotel, although cool to be with your bro, but he is joining you anyway for oz right?

I can see merits for going to both but it just seems like this is a really good chance to go spend a decent amount of time in australia where you will have a blast even if you bust first hand. My housemate is from melbourne and can't stop raving about it, unbelievable girls too i'm told.

Also i'd hate to be sitting on that plane 11-13th thinking you could be chilling out in Australia.

best of luck whichever you choose.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the input. Jeff, your advice is very much appreciated, and definitely makes me want to lean toward Australia only. However, Pyscosniper pretty much summed up how I feel about playing in both tournaments. Right now, I'm leaning towards Australia/no pca. Still a really tough decision for me.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:47 AM

I don't advise going to both. The travel when going to both can only be described as hell. You have to go through customs three times and you have to go through the two worst airports in the country (LAX and Miami). Not to mention you spend 24 hours straight traveling and the LAX experience still haunts me from last year. I can handle one, but not both.