Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 01:30 AM

Default I win at small stakes, but then I blow it all....

What's up guys. I'm new here. Just asking for advice.

I tend to do very well at smaller stakes sng. From single table to 45 man, I generally make money in every tournament I enter. Then I think to myself "Man, I could be earning faster money" And blow it all + more on cash tables (limit and NL) and higher stakes SNGs and tournies. Should I just stick to the lower sngs? Am I only succeeding because only fish play at lower stakes? Thanks for the help.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:57 AM

Default Re: I win at small stakes, but then I blow it all....

On a side note, I have put in about 95 dollars in the past month, probably won about 50 dollars worth, but I'm down to 15 dollars due to my bad tendencies of playing in 11 dollar/5 dollar tournies. I'm sure this is the main problem, but any other advice would be awesome. Thanks guys.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:14 AM

I don't really know what your looking for...there is no way to critique your game from that.

However, you probably are not very good. Also if most of your experience is in sng's then you likely play the cash games quite poorly.

And it really sounds like you play significantly underbankrolled.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:31 AM

Unfortunately poer is not a 'get rich quick' game. I suggest you pick a game and start at the lower levels and climb from there. Pick SitnGo's, Limit cash or NL cash. Learn the skills needed to beat the current level and start building a bankroll.

Without more details its impossible to say whether you are playing good or bad. you could grab a hand history convertor and post some hands on here.

As mentioned above you sound like you are playing underbankrolled.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:18 AM

Alright thanks guys.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:30 AM

Stick to one type of game at one limit until you master it. Once you reach a point where you have the bankroll, move up to the next limit in that game.

It sounds like you were playing the $1 games with some amount of short-term success, then blowing it all. My personal opinion is that unless you are short on cash you should just start at the $5 level, even if that means being a losing player for a while. My reason for this is that, assuming you are playing on Stars, the rake percentage is twice as much at $1 as most other low stakes.

But above all, be consistent. You need to be sure you are truly beating the games at a given level before moving up, not just getting lucky over a short stretch.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:38 AM

SNGs and cash games player much differently. In cash games, you are often playing with 100bb stacks. This is almost never the case in SNGs. Top pair goes way down in value. Suited connectors and low pocket pairs go way up due to implied odds. There are lots and lots of adjustments to be made due to the different stack sizes.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:54 PM

Alright guys, I just won money from 2 5 dollar 18 mans. I played very intelligently. I think i'll just stick to that and work my way up once my bankroll permits it. Once, again thanks for the advice guys.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:57 PM

I've been there man...I'm still probably there lol.

I've cashed in an $22 MTT for like 2.5k, then I'll go to cash games, bring it up to 13k or so, and keep moving up until I lose it all.

It's a vicious cycle that'll keep me a losing player until I can get over that adrenaline rush addiction.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:12 PM

Well hopefully you can break that cycle. I know I'm trying to work on not settling into something that vicious [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]