Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which series is best?
1 27 32.93%
2 27 32.93%
3 4 4.88%
4 6 7.32%
5 18 21.95%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2007, 10:22 PM

Default Re: LC: What is the history of STTf on 2p2?

I started reading and posting on 2+2 as Craig H. when I was still in residency... circa 1999, when there was just a general strategy forum and Raymer would post about 200 times a day.

When they changed the forum format and I couldn't figure out how to get a log-in I switched to lurker from about 2001-2004.

I found 85 emails from 2+2 in my junk email folder giving me sign in names sometime in the summer of 2004 and started posting regularly in the STTF forum. That was right about the time that AleoMagus posted his "guide to beating $10 SNGs," which may to this day be the most significant post in the history of STTF... not because of it's content, but because of all the discussion it spurred.

If I have time this weekend maybe I'll post my version of the history of the STTF.

Irieguy

PS- For what it's worth... this forum is technically the 1-table tournament forum. I called it the Single Table Tournament Forum (STTF) for my first heads-up tournament because it had a better ring to it and that's been this forum's "real" name ever since. Ship that. Holla.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People used to talk about crazy stuff like playing 4 tables at a time - ZOMG HOW DO YOU PLAY 4 TOURNIES AT A TIME AND STILL MAKE THE RIGHT PLAY !?!?!?!?!

Oh, and some other questions from back in the day, "Do you think SnGs are getting tougher?" "Can you still make money at SnGs?"

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

I've been here since mid 2004, so I'm a relative old timer, but I'd be interested in hearing about what happened before that.

To give you an idea of how far SNG theory has come, this is my pet example, which a lot of STTFers (Daliman, who is the butt of the joke, included) have since laughed at. Eastbay posed this question in September of 2004:

[ QUOTE ]
You're on the button holding 66 with stacks, after posting 150/300 blinds, from BB moving left:

BB SB YOU CO
1500 1500 2500 4500

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's Daliman's reply. Keep in mind as you read this that you're reading the reply of a substantially winning $215 player here.

[ QUOTE ]
Fold. You are more likely to be called here by either of the blinds, and folding will often spur a blind battle, where the SB will often push allin with a VERY wide range of hands, and the BB will call with a wider range of hands than usual, given that this is often a steal move by the SB and he will now be the only SS left at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

In case you think I'm kidding you, original thread here.

[/ QUOTE ]

bones' reply in that thread is hilarious:

[ QUOTE ]

Make a small raise, call a re-raise, check dark, hit your set, finish 2nd.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-10-2007, 11:18 PM

Irie, I hope you find the time and inclination to do this. I think this thread was a great idea, and would be very interested in learning more about the 'ole days.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The history of STTF is actually pretty interesting. This forum is responsible for most of the changes to the way SNGs are played and understood today. Also there was a core group of posters who through this forum, AIM and Irieguys parties basically met up and learned poker together who are all doing very well right now and will inevitably be the next big stars in poker (some of them already are).

[/ QUOTE ]

awwwww, you are sooooo sweeeeet petey for thinking of me in this post. <3

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually as far as the big stars go I was thinking more of jman, FJ, Imsolucky0 but your a star to me raptor... at least youll get on TV a bunch this summer in the background of my final tables.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
at least youll get on TV a bunch this summer in the background of my final tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The history of STTF is actually pretty interesting. This forum is responsible for most of the changes to the way SNGs are played and understood today. Also there was a core group of posters who through this forum, AIM and Irieguys parties basically met up and learned poker together who are all doing very well right now and will inevitably be the next big stars in poker (some of them already are).

[/ QUOTE ]

awwwww, you are sooooo sweeeeet petey for thinking of me in this post. <3

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually as far as the big stars go I was thinking more of jman, FJ, Imsolucky0 AND THE ALAN SASS but your a star to me raptor... at least youll get on TV a bunch this summer in the background of my final tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 02-11-2007, 06:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PS- For what it's worth... this forum is technically the 1-table tournament forum. I called it the Single Table Tournament Forum (STTF) for my first heads-up tournament because it had a better ring to it and that's been this forum's "real" name ever since. Ship that. Holla.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats the one where you overplayed the jacks against opponents K10, right?
Ship that. Holla.[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2007, 09:45 AM

I was pretty lucky to show up just after Aleo's guide and ICM, but before Eastbay create SnGPT. With ICM, we had something to go by, so we all weren't just wandering in the dark. However, you still had to do a math to figure out the correct answers.

Aleo showed that this might be a solveable problem. I was like a lot of people that had a lot of fancy ideas about how to outplay people. Most of the time, this worked, but only because the players were so awful then that anything would work. Aleo's guide got us thinking that maybe this is simpler than we thought.

Today we have tools like Eastbay's to do the math, but I feel that I gained a better understanding of things by doing it myself for a while.

The forum was much more interesting before these tools were created. Now that 80% of the problem is solved, you only see discussions about fringe cases. If my only edge is in hands that ICM doesn't cover, I probably couldn't beat the rake.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Today we have tools like Eastbay's to do the math, but I feel that I gained a better understanding of things by doing it myself for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. not that I was ever a great sng player, but I did ok and I'd say the one thing that seperated me and a lot of other posters and how we played and understood the games was understanding, in detail, the math behind the play. Learning to do longhanded ICM math was the first and perhaps the most significant thing I've learned in poker that generated cash.

God, it seems like a lifetime ago when we were playing 800 and 1000 chippers on Party ripping off 15%+ roi's month after month.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. not that I was ever a great sng player, but I did ok and I'd say the one thing that seperated me and a lot of other posters and how we played and understood the games was understanding, in detail, the math behind the play. Learning to do longhanded ICM math was the first and perhaps the most significant thing I've learned in poker that generated cash.

God, it seems like a lifetime ago when we were playing 800 and 1000 chippers on Party ripping off 25-30%+ roi's month after month.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp but agree on all the rest of it.

man the game were so nice when the average opponent was [censored] retarded.